Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2008, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Elastic Audio Issue (damaging sound)

Yeah, it's pretty bad, I tried to slow a tune down just a few bpm's and now the cymbals and acoustic guit sound like they are looped. (meaning that a crash hit sounds re-cycled, like an old 12 bit drum machine) I just chocked it up as another bell and whistle and haven't played with it since...
Old 01-25-2008, 03:28 PM
Avid

Quote:
cymbals and acoustic guit sound like they are looped. (meaning that a crash hit sounds re-cycled, like an old 12 bit drum machine)
Now I think what you're describing is something else than what GS describes - this sounds like you might be using the Rhythmic algorithm on the guitar (which won't work well - Polyphonic would be better), and on long crash cymbals which either might need some tweaking of the event sensitivity (false transients in the tail of the cymbal decay will cause hiccups), some tweaking of the Rhythmic decay parameter, or using Polyphonic with them, which sometimes works better for percussive sounds with long sustain.

Making the whole song slower takes more work than just moving a few warp markers a short distance (like GS was describing), and would be more sensitive to various settings changes like I describe.

I hope that helps.

Paul Vercellotti
Avid Engineering
Old 01-26-2008, 01:10 AM

This may be old news to some, but I found that regardless of the instrument or the algorithm used in EA, don't allow the telescoping mode to take over first. Instead of placing your first anchor at the beginning of the track, place one at the end of the track first, and then place one at the beginning. If you place one at the beginning first and then move it just a slight amount, the track will telescope wildly in or out when you look at the end position. After that, the audio is full of tears, burbles and other odd sounds, even after returning it to the original length. At that point you should switch back to no EA, no commit, and then try it again.

After observing this simple procedure I've had 0 problems with EA, and routinely use monophonic on bass, drums and most guitars, and polyphonic only in certain cases. Most of the time when I'm ready to commit I first re-render to Xform and then do the commit.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:
cymbals and acoustic guit sound like they are looped. (meaning that a crash hit sounds re-cycled, like an old 12 bit drum machine)
Now I think what you're describing is something else than what GS describes - this sounds like you might be using the Rhythmic algorithm on the guitar (which won't work well - Polyphonic would be better), and on long crash cymbals which either might need some tweaking of the event sensitivity (false transients in the tail of the cymbal decay will cause hiccups), some tweaking of the Rhythmic decay parameter, or using Polyphonic with them, which sometimes works better for percussive sounds with long sustain.

Making the whole song slower takes more work than just moving a few warp markers a short distance (like GS was describing), and would be more sensitive to various settings changes like I describe.

I hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply and I don’t doubt you a bit! (pardon the pun) It just seemed to me that the task you’re talking about would be nearly impossible on a 4 minute song w/12 mics on a live drum kit, and the sound I getting was just weird and not musical. However, it may not be fair to make a quick judgment since I haven’t had the time to work with it much as I should.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:05 PM

Thank you all for your replies. I’ve made other tests on Elastic, and it does behave differently depending on the audio material you’re working with. But even if engaged on similar audio events (such as guitar arpeggios) it’s difficult to predict how it will work. Thanks to PaulV, I’m beginning to understand a lot more about this plugin.

It seems that reducing analysis sensitivity through “Elastic Properties” helps avoiding the detection of false transients, and subsequently yielding better results (thank you Paul).

Anyway, if you know how to use it, on bass & drums it’s simply great!

GS
Old 08-28-2012, 07:41 AM

Hey did you manage to solve your EA problem. I know it was a long time ago but i have the exact same problem and wondered if you could help?
Old 08-28-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleyj83d View Post
Hey did you manage to solve your EA problem. I know it was a long time ago but i have the exact same problem and wondered if you could help?
What version of PT? EA has gotten better with each version(started in 7.3, got a little better in 8, more better in 9 and 10, but still not perfect). Here's a couple of tips that may help. Any time you do a batch of tracks that belong "together"(like drum tracks, or stereo mic'd acoustic or Electric gtr with more than one mic) you need to group the tracks so EA happens to all, to maintain phasing. When working with a single track, I like to duplicate the track, cut the audio(anywhere) and consolidate. That makes a new region(so no matter how bad it gets messed up, you can get back to the original audio). If I am fixing little bits here and there, I will copy the region to a blank audio track, make the EA adjustments, commit, and then paste it back to the original track.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave