Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 08-10-2020, 09:34 AM

Default perpetual crossgrade from 12.5.2 to current version of PT - will I lose PT12 license?

Hi all, I have a combined "Pro Tools 10/11/12 (NT)" license ("SW DL,PRO TOOLS UPG PER SDNT NO CHARGE" on Avid account) that I have been using for years. I bought the academic version of PT9 back in 2010~2011ish and the final upgrade I got with the academic upgrade plan was 12.5.2.

Backstory:

I am running into an issue where my Mac systems won't run PT 12.5.2 anymore on newer versions of OSX and I need to buy a new machine that likely won't run PT 12.5.2. For years I kept my old 2012 MacBook on OSX 10.8.5 to be able to run PT10 but have since kept it on 10.9 through 10.11 to be able to run PT 12.5.2 smoothly. I tried PT12 with High Sierra 10.13 and it was unstable and glitchy because it isn't supported.

Likewise, at my work we have our MP tower locked in on Yosemite 10.10 because we are using Pro Tools HD 12.5.2. If it ain't broke, don't fix it... It is unfortunate because I have my copy of PT 12.5.2 running with zero issues on the newest build of Windows 10 Home Edition but I have to keep my Apple machines on an older OSX just to run this software.

TL;DR / My upgrade question:

I'm looking into doing a perpetual crossgrade/upgrade to a newer version of PT and I absolutely do NOT want to forfeit my license and switch to a subscription-based plan. I see Avid has made buying a perpetual license into a wild goose chase but from what I've gathered, you can still buy these crossgrades from 3rd party retailers? I'm looking at the "Avid 1-Year Updates + Support for Pro Tools Perpetual License Expired Plan" from Sweetwater. I assume this is what I would need to jump from 12.5.2 to the current version?

Most importantly: if I buy this upgrade package, will I lose my "Pro Tools 10/11/12 (NT)" license or will I still be able to keep it? It is important for me to keep a copy of 12.5.2 for compatibility reasons because we use it at my place of employment.

Lastly: Is Avid going to get rid of these perpetual license upgrade packages for good moving forward?

Thanks so much. Sorry this is long-winded!
Old 08-20-2020, 02:02 PM
Avid

Default Re: perpetual crossgrade from 12.5.2 to current version of PT - will I lose PT12 lice

Hi,
You'll need a reinstatement if you wish to keep previous versions of your perpetual licenses and not move to a subscription.

It's still available from authorized resellers like GC, Sweetwater and others.

-Tope
Old 09-14-2020, 07:11 AM

Default Re: perpetual crossgrade from 12.5.2 to current version of PT - will I lose PT12 lice

For anyone with this issue, I ended up talking to a support rep at VintageKing and they got me all settled.

I bought the "Avid 1-Year Updates + Support for Pro Tools Reinstatement " from them, redeemed it on my Avid master account, and I now have the latest 2020 version of Pro Tools (plus updates for a year, obviously) along with licenses for 10, 11, and 12 on my iLok as a group.

Attached is a screenshot from the iLok app
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 10.06.44 AM.jpg (14.5 KB, 0 views)