Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2006, 07:53 PM

Default question for canopus owners

i have a Laird hardware firewire rack unit that i am trying to implement with my pro tools setup if it can even be done. it came from an avid express system that is no longer in use. i have a feeling it is similar to how canopus works. you folks who use a canopus, how do you get video to play out thru the firwire port to the hardware unit and out to an external monitor? do you use your canopus to capture video as well, to then use with pt sessions? avid tracks are strictly for mojo i am assuming, so is it the quicktime movie that plays thru the unit to the external monitor?

sory, i know i have been asking about this stuff spread across several other threads. i am having a tough time with this for some reason - just trying to break out of the old ways of doing things

Pro Tools Ultimate, Mac Mini 3.2 i7, Mtrx Studio & Omni, 4x S1’s & Dock w/ iPad Air 2
Old 01-25-2006, 07:59 PM

Default Re: question for canopus owners

for the canopus, you us the DV NTSC (or PAL) codec. you import the movie into PT. you select play movie out FW in the movie menu. this is a PT6 and later thing. the canopus is hooked to its own FW ports SEPARATE from your 002 and other hard drives. hit play and there it is. you can also close the movie window and the movie will still stream out the FW port.

i persoanlly don't use the canopus for capture, but you can.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 01-25-2006, 07:59 PM

Quote:
you folks who use a canopus, how do you get video to play out thru the firwire port to the hardware unit and out to an external monitor?
Convert a QuickTime movie to DV stream (file will end in .dv), import it into Pro Tools, and choose Play DV Movie Out Firewire Port from the Movie menu.
Quote:
do you use your canopus to capture video as well, to then use with pt sessions?
I don't. Others might.
Quote:
avid tracks are strictly for mojo i am assuming, so is it the quicktime movie that plays thru the unit to the external monitor?
Yes.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:34 PM

Ken it's pretty simple. Your session plays a QuickTime movie. Your video card plays that movie back on a monitor or tv.
Native Firewire devices like the canopus utilize the "Play DV movie through Firewire port" menu. Other pci solutions like the Miromotion DC30+ (discontinued but still current drivers) or the newer FuseX intercept the movie and play it on your monitor.

This video hardware also lets you take analog from a tape and capture it to a movie file (using a program like QTPro, iMovie, FCP, BTV, HackTVCarbon, etc.,

These are all very affordable solutions to video playback within ProTools. Some better than others. You can't edit the picture or have more than one in the timeline, but they work.

------

As for the Laird, it's a question of whether or not it's compatible with ProTools DV ->firewire implementation. I know some people are successfully using DV cams to playback, so it's not out of the question.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:01 AM

[/QUOTE]
Convert a QuickTime movie to DV stream (file will end in .dv), import it into Pro Tools, and choose Play DV Movie Out Firewire Port from the Movie menu.

[/QUOTE]

Two Questions:

1) How do I convert a QuickTime movie into a DV stream?
2) I have a Data Video DAC 100 box. Will this work simlilar to the Canopus?.

Right now the "Play DV Movie Out Firewire Port" is greyed out.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:44 AM

Quote:

1) How do I convert a QuickTime movie into a DV stream?

We use Quicktime Pro. In Export select DV-Stream (under options you find PAL/NTSC and different audio options). That's it.

Hope it helps!
Tim
Old 01-26-2006, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Ken it's pretty simple. Your session plays a QuickTime movie. Your video card plays that movie back on a monitor or tv.
Native Firewire devices like the canopus utilize the "Play DV movie through Firewire port" menu. Other pci solutions like the Miromotion DC30+ (discontinued but still current drivers) or the newer FuseX intercept the movie and play it on your monitor.

This video hardware also lets you take analog from a tape and capture it to a movie file (using a program like QTPro, iMovie, FCP, BTV, HackTVCarbon, etc.,

These are all very affordable solutions to video playback within ProTools. Some better than others. You can't edit the picture or have more than one in the timeline, but they work.

------

As for the Laird, it's a question of whether or not it's compatible with ProTools DV ->firewire implementation. I know some people are successfully using DV cams to playback, so it's not out of the question.
thanks for all the info. i am opening PT right now, i am using 7.1 and now without a movie menu i am going to try and find where the "Play DV movie through Firewire port" is located. in case i can't find it, anyone know where it might live?

Pro Tools Ultimate, Mac Mini 3.2 i7, Mtrx Studio & Omni, 4x S1’s & Dock w/ iPad Air 2
Old 01-26-2006, 06:16 AM

Quote:
thanks for all the info. i am opening PT right now, i am using 7.1 and now without a movie menu i am going to try and find where the "Play DV movie through Firewire port" is located. in case i can't find it, anyone know where it might live?
ken, this is all explained pretty clearly in the manual. i don't have 7, so i don't the pages, but it is the 6.9 manaul.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 01-26-2006, 08:13 AM

thanks minister, i did already check the manual and it says under options select quicktime out firewire, and in my version 7.1 there is no such selection anywhere - was wondering if this is a misprint? in 6.1 on our g4 there it is plain as day under the movie menu, just greyed out with no device attached. but on 7.1, i can't find it anywhere. it's gotta be here somewhere, even greyed out if it doesn't recognize the device connected, right? or is that the problem, that it is not even an option because it doesn't recognize the device?

Old 01-26-2006, 08:21 AM

check the Options menu? QuickTime DV Out FireWire

Is this on a Mac or your PC? Does the PC version have that option?