Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 10-13-2020, 10:28 AM

Default Unintentional Crossgrade from Perpetual License

Hi, back a couple months I intended to upgrade my pro tools (I had perpetual license for Pro Tools 12 and below) and I made a crossgrade. Avid's shop isn't clear to what a crossgrade was, and now I get the news that I traded my perpetual license for a subscription. (Who the hell would do this in the first place?)

I read some threads involving the same problem I'm facing,
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=412064
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?p=2547389

I haven'y opened a case, but I can't reach Avid's support (have a problem with my billing address, it won't update!!), I don't know what to do! I wan't my perpetual license back.

Last edited by Manep; 10-13-2020 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:30 PM

Default Unintentional Crossgrade Perpetual License

You are screwed. Same thing happened to my friend and just as you did he has forfeited his perpetual license. Really sucks but can you really expect anything else from AVID?

Last edited by StillHollow; 10-16-2020 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:51 PM

Default Re: Unintentional Crossgrade Perpetual License

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manep View Post
Hi, back a couple months I intended to upgrade my pro tools (I had perpetual license for Pro Tools 12 and below) and I made a crossgrade...
Welcome to the community.

I see you have a case open now so I'll review that with the CS rep and follow up - please look for a case update email soon...
Old 10-16-2020, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillHollow View Post
You are screwed. Same thing happened to my friend and just as you did he has forfeited his perpetual license. Really sucks but can you really expect anything else from AVID?
We have tried to make this clear... when you select a crossgrade in my.avid.com/products it shows "Trade in your Perpetual license for a Subscription and SAVE 50% off standard price for the first 2 YEARS" and clicking Buy Now posts "Please note: When selecting the “Crossgrade” option to move from a Perpetual license to a discounted Subscription you will be required to trade in your Perpetual license. The Crossgrade is not a renewal for your current Perpetual Software Updates + Support Plan." Did your friend start a support case?
Old 10-17-2020, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
We have tried to make this clear... when you select a crossgrade in my.avid.com/products it shows "Trade in your Perpetual license for a Subscription and SAVE 50% off standard price for the first 2 YEARS" and clicking Buy Now posts "Please note: When selecting the “Crossgrade” option to move from a Perpetual license to a discounted Subscription you will be required to trade in your Perpetual license. The Crossgrade is not a renewal for your current Perpetual Software Updates + Support Plan." Did your friend start a support case?
Jeffro, if I may ... the reason it's still not clear is because it's completely absurd and anti-consumer to "crossgrade" a perpetual license to subscription by default. People can read the words but if someone is moving quickly the actual meaning is not comprehended. Sure, that's on them, but designing the website in a "gotcha" way in which "keep things the way they are" is not the default is BS.

This is just about bolstering stock price by having guaranteed rental income on the books, it's not about fair or clear policies that the users want or need.

Don't be surprised that people are surprised, and get ready for a lot more angry people as time goes on...

At least support does seem to be sorting some people out, it's just a shame it's come to this.

And as always thanks for everything you are doing personally to keep people happy here, I know these policies don't fall on your shoulders.

Last edited by Teej; 10-17-2020 at 03:19 AM.
Old 10-17-2020, 02:26 AM

Jeffro you've been incredible in helping me and in solving this issue that became a nightmare for me, and all I have to say is thank you a million times.

As I explained I genuinely didn't realised and for what I remember (this started Oct 19) it wasn't clear at all option wise, On top of it I wasn't warned at all before purchasing the annual subscription with something like "are you sure you want to give away your perpetual licence" you know the sort of warning you have in Pro Tools when you quit the program, "do you wanna save", I do think that option should have been there as a standard procedure as this is a "major" decision. I would had never ever trade my perpetual licence for any discount in the world.

But once again I have to say that Avid support have been fantastic in solving this nightmare. Specially Jeffro, he's been amazing and as soon as he took over the issue was solved within 2 days..

He is a star, Thanks soon much!!

One last thing.. I would have loved to post a reply here before you did Jeffro, to clarify and explain the final resolution.. I had a full on week and just had some time this morning.. Have a lovely weekend!
Old 10-25-2020, 05:11 AM

Default Perpetual Licence Gone !!

I purchased Pro Tools perpetual Licence and for the past two year I have automatically paid for an upgrade/support licence. Last month I decided to not go for any more upgrades and thought I could just carry on using my perpetual licence. I have since discovered that I had paid for a cross grade!!! I am now unable to use Pro Tools and it looks like I surrendered my licence (unintentionally) for a cross grade subscription

I had no idea this had happened. I assumed I had just purchased the upgrades/support. This was the link I clicked on, and I feel cheated that none of this was clear. Now I am not able to use Pro Tools.

In the meantime I have submitted a ticket to Avid with receipts of my Purchases. I am really angry this could happen so easily, and looking through the forums it would appear I am not the first. Avid I hope you do the honourable thing and re-instate my perpetual Licence.
Old 10-25-2020, 06:14 AM

Default Re: Perpetual Licence Gone !!

This keeps happening over and over again. It recently happened to a friend of mine and because of their nebulous definition of cross grade this is extremely misleading.

I smell class action suit coming. Actually, I welcome it.
Old 10-25-2020, 06:29 AM

I purposely bought the Perpetual Licence as at the time, I was coming up to retirement age. Now I have reached the grand old age of 67 ( I guess must be the oldest}I really don't wish to keep paying out every year and am quite happy with pro tools 2020.9. This is a huge cost for us Pensioners and I don't have money growing out of my ears. I can't afford to take a civil action but can report to the Office Of Fair Trading
Old 10-25-2020, 06:45 AM

Keep in mind that your perpetual license will most likely work for years to come. At the glacial pace of new features and updates from avid there’s really very little value to keep paying. They know this and have instituted their “cross grade” scam to hold people hostage.

I hope you can get it sorted out and get your perpetual license back.