Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 05-18-2008, 09:35 PM

Default hd 2 accel system ?comments please

hey guys i'am thinking of upgrading to this system from my LE system
1 PTCorePCIe2 Pro Tools HD2 Accel System
2 192io Audio Interface for PT|HD
1 192AD A/D Exp Card for 192 I/O
2 ISA828 8-Ch ISA Mic Pre
1 BigBen 192kHz Master Word Clock
how much better is the sound quality than the le .Some people tell me there is no differences
can someone explain some of the differences between the two
the system above will give me 24 ins with the octo pre I already have.
Thanks jack

Old 05-27-2008, 09:11 PM

Default Re: hd 2 accel system ?comments please

I have a system I can sell you. Email me if you want.

[email protected]

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 05-30-2008, 08:06 PM

Each 192 is only capable of 16 I/O so even with your octo pre you will still not have 24 ins
Old 05-30-2008, 08:41 PM

Oops just realized I misread that; 2-192s. . . you could use the digital out of your octopre right

I think you will like PT HD. . . I dont have a ton of experience with LE, but for my $ it sounds better then ASIO recorders.

Also you will have more processing power, and you will not have to deal with latency issues nearly as much
Old 05-31-2008, 05:32 AM

While the PT software is basically the same between an LE or TDM system, the operation is the same, the layout is identical and there are many of the same things.... sonically and what's going on under the hood is a whole other world. While some disagree with this next statement, my experience has proven to be true.... in most cases, the TDM plugins do sound better v/s their RTAS counterparts. This is because of the 48-bit code that is guaranteed as opposed to the computer natively having to sort everything out in addition to plugin processing. The summing bus is also a significant difference. And when I'm talking about PTHD v/s LE, I'm really talking about ProToolsHD v/s EVERYTHING else native including LE. Can you do pro work on LE? ABSOLUTELY! BUT make no mistake---PTHD costs what it costs for a reason no matter what someone using any other native app tells you. Internally, the DSP provides high-fidelity summing of the audio. While external summing of stems is also an improvement, the internal audio summing is incredibly good. Before ProToolsHD, I didn't care for PT. But with HD, Digidesign re-designed the TDM bussing architecture and the way that audio was dithered internally---or how it is not. You can pull your faders down and still retain the same resolution as if you were @ 0dB just as a good analog console would function.

What do I like about it? For starters, I don't run out of processing, everything sounds like it should sound, the automation is second to none, the editing is sample accurate, a clean interface doesn't get in thew ay of editing and mixing, I can transfer sessions with practically anyone, it doesn't crash, I have the best of the best in plugins available to me all in real-time and NO latency among the plugins and busses, etc.

As to the micpres, be careful when responding....he is talking ISA828, NOT the Octopre. The difference in sonic quality of both the pres and the converter cards are worlds apart. The Octopre's converter is nowhere near that of a 192I/O or an ISA828. The ISA828 converter, on the other hand, is good....quite good....DANG good!

IMHO I would do a different I/O arrangement, feel free to contact me if you want to know more about that.

My background, so you know where my input stands, is doing years of system design for professional studios, artists, producers, and using the stuff myself. I do a fair amount of large concert recording direct to ProToolsHD where I am tracking up to 80-tracks @ once on location. I also do real-time mixes via ProToolsHD to broadcast as well as mix to picture back in my own studio. NOTHING can do what ProToolsHD can do---however that doesn't mean you must have ProToolsHD to get a pro sound, but it's about what you can do v/s what you can not do.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:56 PM

Good input from Brad.

There are a few more important features in HD too. Voices, delay compentsation, processing power (no real need for a WHOPPER computer, but it helps with other RTAS/VST stuff)

Here is my take. If it were me doing it all over again (and I will NOT) I would go the Apogee route instead of the 192. The 192's are great, but the Apogees are a bit more open and to my ears much more accurate. They a smidge more, but in this game converters are the best thing you can do for a digital chain. The pre's I would look into a bit differently too. Why waste the money on the AD card for the 828. Unless you are running it AES, who cares. RUn 8 pres to the analog side of the Apogee and go from there. Saves you money.

CLOCK: Here is the big one.... Now, I have a/b/c/d'd the Big Ben, Sync, 192, Rosetta, Benchmark, and the AD-16's. The one that stands out the most, at the same price of the Big Ben, is the Antelope Isochrone OCX atomic clock. SECRET weapon man. Seriously. Compared to the Big Ben it was like taking a pillow off the speakers. I have been told that a respectible mastering house here in Boulder did a A/B of it with the Big Ben and the results were astounding. Like 3 seconds more accurate with the same audio pass. Pretty insane.

So I would go for that one and did. I own a Benchmark ADC-1, 3 Rosetta 800's a 192 and a DA-16X and they all slave to my Isochrone. That bad ass.....

My final thoughts.

If you are spending the money on a HD rig, you are obviously going past the "hobby" mark, or you just have way too much time and money on your hands. So, make the smart choices and put the money into your chain first. Forget the plugs, etc. You can make a song sound good with limited plugs and a decent eq. Good converters, good pre and decent mics and you are most of the way there. The other 50% is your ear and ability to make the tracks sound good.

Best,

Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"