Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2006, 09:05 PM

Default The Grand 2 w/ Pro Tools LE

Trying to get The Grand 2 to work with my Pro Tools LE 7 has been giving me the biggest headache. The manuals aren't really helping, and I've searched the internet but to no avail. All I can find is "The Grand 2 offers ReWire support for easy Pro Tools integration!" I wish.

Does anybody here use The Grand 2 with their Pro Tools? I'd really appreciate some instructions on how to get these two configured properly, as I've been trying for weeks now and still can't seem to get them to work properly together.

Here's the set up:
I'm using a RS9 Roland synthesizer to operate The Grand, and it sends the MIDI signals to my computer via a MIDI-to-USB cable -- the MIDI doesn't go from the snythesizer to Pro Tools' MIDI input and then into the computer, it goes directly from the synth to a USB port on the computer.
I open up Pro Tools and load up The Grand 2 ReWire, then load up The Grand 2, which is now operating as a slave program.

I think I've got it right up to that point, but after that I can't get the right settings to let me record. I can play on the synth and hear through my headphones (plugged into my Mbox 2) what I'm playing through The Grand 2, and I can see the audio monitor jumping around on an Audio track I've created in Pro Tools, but when I click the little R on the track to arm the track for recording, the sound dies out and switches over to this mic that I have plugged into one of the Mbox inputs. But I don't want to record from an input, I want to record through ReWire!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 02-27-2006, 09:09 PM

Default Re: The Grand 2 w/ Pro Tools LE

You've got to record to a MIDI track with your keyboard as input (not the audio track which has the Grand rewire as an insert) . The output of that MIDI track is the Grand MIDI/rewire interface (not sure what it will say here).

fizbin
Old 02-27-2006, 11:34 PM

Thanks, that was really a helpful explanation. I have both BFD and The Grand 2 working now (BFD for the first time; sounds great!).

My next problem is recording: I can record MIDI notes fine, but how do I configure an audio track to record what's being played by the ReWire program?

Matt
Old 02-28-2006, 09:56 AM

Take the track that your piano sound is coming in on (usually an aux input), select a stereo buss for the output, and then on a stereo audio track select that buss for the input. You then put the audio track into record mode, start recording, and all the audio from the piano track will be sent to the new recording track.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:34 PM

If you are on PTLE 7, replace the midi-track with an Instrument-track.
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix
Old 03-01-2006, 05:23 AM

I can record now! Thank you so much Mark, those were great step-by-step instructions.

Thank you for your input too, GW. I wasn't able to get the Instrument track to work with recording, but then again I tried your instructions before Mark's, so perhaps now I'd be able to figure out using an Instrument track. In any case, thanks for the suggestion; I'll keep it in mind.

Next up: Getting a dual-core CPU to handle the heavy processer consumption... I think the AMD 64 X2 3800 should do fine.

Matt
Old 03-01-2006, 04:57 PM

AMD 64 X2 ..Thats what I have. Its pretty nice.
AMD 64 X2 3800+ Dual Core
Seagate 80GB + 250GB 7200 RPM
WIN XP Pro - Digi 002R - PTLE 7.0