Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 08-07-2018, 02:09 PM

Default Re: HDX - Invest or not?

No one? I find it hard to still read worrying stuff about Hdx not running well on low buffer sizes, out of sync stem bounces and not pasting on grid while in grid mode. I made my decision to be honest, so yes going for Hdx but it worries me that the so called industry standard still has it’s “stupid” flaws after all those years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2018, 03:54 PM

If you want to use the dsp of the HDX you have to run avid, sonnox, mcdsp, softube, some stuff from plugin alliance and metric halo. Waves, FF and Slate are native only. And today there are no dsp VI.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:23 PM

CLOSEST TO TDM as I've used.
((Feelwise))

My tester (sig specks√) is fit for tracking and composing.
(Mid Scale)
Old 08-14-2018, 05:24 PM

I have 3 HDX cards. I couldn’t mix without them. A native system can’t handle the 600+ track sessions I sometimes run. I also used Nuendo for 10 years, and it’ll eventually choke too.

As other mentioned, the HDX cards won’t power your VI’s. But it will take over powering your other plugins and leave your native processor for the VI’s.

Also, the built-in ‘Pro’ plugins that come with PT Ultimate are amazing. Lots of them were taken from Euphonix. And all run on HDX.

Get a cheep cheese grater and load it up with cards.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
www.ToolshedAudioPost.com
www.TheToolshedStudio.com
Certified for Dolby Atmos Home Entertainment
Old 08-14-2018, 11:06 PM

Thnx for the reply man! That kinda answers my gut feeling or err instinct haha. Track load and powerfull plugins are doing it for me. No software is holy, I love how Nuendo has many nifty and very fast midi features but hey, I still compose and mix for ads and feature films on my trusty rusty HD3 in PT so I'll stick to it.
Some VI's native would be fine but with maxed-out SSD Imacs running Vienna Pro I got that covered as well.

But. cheese-gr or trash can. Both old but one is very old and I do have an unused Goliath HD in storage and it should hook-up to HDX ports but, errr, the trash can feels like th slightly better choice. Perhaps getting a phat refurbished one and wait for the new one.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:55 AM

It depends which features you need for connection ports (i.e. USB 3) and how many PCI slots (for HDX cards). I went with a 2012, because the 2013 trash cans were way more money compared to what you get. With the trash can, you definitely have to buy a PCI expansion chassis to run HDX cards.

I just upgraded my 2012 cheese grater with a $350 from Ebay to increase the speed from 12-core 2.4 to 12-core 3.45. The Geekbench score is 23955, which is faster than the 8-core 3 GHz trash can, and only slightly slower than the 12-core 2.7 GHz trash can (still over $6,000 USD).

You can buy a 2012 MacPro on Ebay for about $1000-1200. IF you want, max out the speed with a processor kit for $350 (optional). Add a USB 3 card for $50. and still have two PCI slots for a pair of HDX cards. The only place where the old Mac falls short is the slower SATA 2 internal drive bays. But the key is to expanding with the PCI slots.

I went super crazy maxing it out by adding two Netstor PCI expansion chassis for $750 each, which give you a total of 8 PCI slots for 3x HDX cards, USB 3 card, RAID card for dual SSD storage, PCI SSD blade for the system drive, AJA LHi Kona video card, and Nvidia GeForce 1080 video card. Also, the pair of SSD RAID drive are stored inside one of the Netstor expansion chassis. http://www.netstor.com.tw/product_su...Title=TurboBox

And none of the above is wasted if I ever 'upgrade' to a different computer without PCI slots, because the two expansion chassis are each upgradable to Thunderbolt for about $100.

So even with 'maxing' it all out, I'm still only spending a fraction of what the trash can would be. Because the trash can requires you to buy the expansion chassis to do anything. To be fair, you could easily argue that you don't need a second one for USB 3 or a video card because its built in to the trash can. So, it would only be $6k for the mac + $750 for one expansion chassis VS. $3k for a mega-fully loaded cheese grater.

You could also buy a PC and run MacOS on it. That is really easy to do these days, but the system will definitely has some quirks. I run one, and its not as stable as my MacPro.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
www.ToolshedAudioPost.com
www.TheToolshedStudio.com
Certified for Dolby Atmos Home Entertainment
Old 09-05-2018, 08:52 PM

I have 2009 cheese graters running PT10 HD that I will soon upgrade the processors to faster-than-Trashcans so I can upgrade to HDX. There are a number of threads here about this, and users appear to be extremely happy running the latest version of PT 2018. One great advantage for HDX is having the PCI slots, vs needing an expansion chassis on the trashcans. The processor upgrades are available on Ebay
Old 09-06-2018, 09:07 AM

Solid hdx here.

The Avid team is settling in.

Processors, memory, video and ssd drives all play a part.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:32 PM

No.

As a very long time PT user... I stared back with PT 3.x as I recall, I've always had the top of the line hardware with PT. Did all the hardware migrations, paid Digi and Avid a lot of money over the years... No regrets... I made it all back and a lot more.

Recently, I moved about an hour away from the studio, and wanted the ability to use PT at home, so I bought the PT Ultimate yearly subscription (by mistake... but that's another story...). It worked just fine with a Thunderbolt audio interface. Moving sessions from home to studio and back again was only limited by my ability to bring the drive I use to transfer audio from one place to the other.

AAX plugins, which is the only reason you really need an HDX card, hasn't exactly panned out as promised when it was announced. Avid and its partners has done a great job of porting a lot of them to native... I'm sure not ALL of them... but there are tons of Native plugs now that can do just about everything you'd ever need.

At the end of my 1 year of Ultimate subscription at home, I went with the less than Ultimate version of PT, and again, for the work I do, while there are some features I don't have access to in the less than Ultimate version, there is nothing I can't do with native plugs and no HDX card.

If I thought I could make any money, I'd sell the HDX card and get something different for the studio, but it seems to me Avid makes this harder than it really needs to be... but I could be mistaken about that.

Anyway... unless there are AAX plugs that you just HAVE TO HAVE, I'd say no... don't go HDX at all. The beauty of the Ultimate version with no hardware is you can run it on almost anything, and with out the hardware to lug around, makes it VERY portable.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innesireinar View Post
If you want to use the dsp of the HDX you have to run avid, sonnox, mcdsp, softube, some stuff from plugin alliance and metric halo. Waves, FF and Slate are native only. And today there are no dsp VI.

Yep, for the HDX card it’s all about low latency overdubs and IO.....

That’s really all it gives you, but it has it in ♠️ Spades.

Want to do an overdub b/c the singer doesn’t like their part, key it up full mix....go to town.

I try to stay all DSP plugs but when mixing I do use UAD....so I have to maneuver things but it’s a solid system.

The trick with the software version is to find one that works for you and stick with it....every thing has bugs it’s just which ones you can live with
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.