Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2019, 05:12 AM

Default Automation of Software parameters (Trilian and Omnisphere)using Novation Launchkey

I am able to control any parameters in Trilian and Omnisphere using the Novation Launchkey 49....no problem. Where the problem starts is when I want to write the automation in Pro Tools. Everything works fine except the automation doesn't get written. If I use my mouse, automation gets written.
Help!
Old 12-26-2019, 03:28 PM

Default Re: Automation of Software parameters (Trilian and Omnisphere)using Novation Launchke

Have you made all parameters automation-enabled?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-26-2019, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Automation of Software parameters (Trilian and Omnisphere)using Novation Launchke

Sure....from within Pro Tools (Automation Window, or Command 4) and from within Omnisphere also.
Old 12-26-2019, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeButte View Post
I am able to control any parameters in Trilian and Omnisphere using the Novation Launchkey 49....no problem. Where the problem starts is when I want to write the automation in Pro Tools. Everything works fine except the automation doesn't get written. If I use my mouse, automation gets written.
Help!
The Novation is sending out MIDI continuous controllers which you have mapped to Spectrasonics parameters right? In which case I think you would need to record this as MIDI data on the relevant Instrument/MIDI track in PT.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:24 AM

I think what you are mentioning is to make sure Midi Thru is checked. (under option in Pro Tools).....It is checked.
Again, I can control anything in Omnisphere with my keyboard (Novation Launchkey or mouse).
The problem is when writing (recording) automation in Pro Tools. The mouse action gets recorded but not the Novation keyboard.
With the Novation keyboard I hear the automation but it won't write in Pro Tools....tried in Logic......same thing.
Old 01-15-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeButte View Post
I think what you are mentioning is to make sure Midi Thru is checked. (under option in Pro Tools).....It is checked.
Again, I can control anything in Omnisphere with my keyboard (Novation Launchkey or mouse).
The problem is when writing (recording) automation in Pro Tools. The mouse action gets recorded but not the Novation keyboard.
With the Novation keyboard I hear the automation but it won't write in Pro Tools....tried in Logic......same thing.
What I’m saying is Pro Tools automation, for example when you set a track to write/touch etc. won’t record parameter changes for the vast majority of VIs including Omnisphere AFAiK with a few exceptions like Air Hybrid. As far as Pro Tools automation is conferenced the parameters just aren’t recognised/mapped. If you want to automate the parameters for most VIs you need to assign them to MIDI continuous controllers and record those to MIDI/Instrument tracks as MIDI CC events.