Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2013, 04:54 PM

Default Dual Monitor minimizing/maximizing issue

I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed however I cannot find the answer so I'll ask here.

I am running 10.3.7. and using two monitors. I have set the gray back drop of PT across the two screens, having my mix window on the left and edit window on the right. When I quit the program and reopen, the windows are in their proper place and proper size.

The problem is, when I minimize PT (all of it, from the gray background window) and then maximize it again, my edit window is fully displayed across both screens. The mix window is also maxed out, but underneath the edit screen.

I hope this makes sense, any idea how to prevent this??
Old 12-05-2013, 04:58 PM

Default Re: Dual Monitor minimizing/maximizing issue

We have it set like this:

Open mix window -> move to second monitor
Open Edit window in the main screen and maximize both with the "Green button" and then you have one window in each monitor instead of dragging out the "grey" background over both monitors as that will only read like on Big window.

Best
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-05-2013, 08:30 PM

If you are on a Windows machine, once you have the screens all laid out, close by hitting Alt-F4(and Save). That little trick seems to help(my rig is working dandy with 2 screens). Adding a 3rd screen has required a bit of re-arranging and saving as each time I open an old session that was done on 2 screens, I have to drag the MIX window down to the 3rd screen and save. Then it opens right the next time

Also, if you are restoring by clicking on Maximize, that's a problem as you actually want the "in between" setting that corresponds to you dragging the edges to fill the 2 screens. FWIW, I usually minimize by clicking on the PT instance on the taskbar(across the bottom) and restore by another click on the same "button", and mine always comes back as I had it before.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-05-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Open Edit window in the main screen and maximize both with the "Green button" and then you have one window in each monitor instead of dragging out the "grey" background over both monitors as that will only read like on Big window.
I'm not quite following how this works, as I cannot move the mix window outside of the "grey" backround.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
If you are on a Windows machine, once you have the screens all laid out, close by hitting Alt-F4(and Save). FWIW, I usually minimize by clicking on the PT instance on the taskbar(across the bottom) and restore by another click on the same "button", and mine always comes back as I had it before.
Ahhh this seems like it might make more sense!! I always Alt-F4 my sessions, so that helps it start up properly, but I'll try minimizing from the task bar first thing tomorrow. Thanks!
Old 12-06-2013, 05:45 PM

check out "skootch"
Old 12-06-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
We have it set like this:

Best
Christopher
OP is on Windows, not OSX. For Windows, you have to keep the Mix and Edit windows in the container..... unless you are using a third party program like skootch.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 12-06-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanman555 View Post
I'm not quite following how this works, as I cannot move the mix window outside of the "grey" backround.

Ahhh this seems like it might make more sense!! I always Alt-F4 my sessions, so that helps it start up properly, but I'll try minimizing from the task bar first thing tomorrow. Thanks!
Instead of using the minimize button, try going to the FAR right lower corner. There is a little 'sliver' there, right next to the clock, click that and you will go to desktop, click again and you program come back up.

You could also toggle with Windows Key + D, or Alt + Tab if you want to switch to another program that's already open.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 12-09-2013, 07:55 AM

Yeah, unfortunately any way I close out PT it always reopens that way for me. I'll need to look into this skootch thing I guess.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:06 AM

Maximize is the problem here. That's the function you DON'T want. What you want is for it to restore to previous. Clicking on the Pro Tools "button" on the taskbar should toggle back&forth.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave