Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-04-2006, 03:09 AM

Default Re: Intel Core2Duo ... anyone got one working yet?

Hi,

this seems to be heating up

I will be building the Dual core AMD for now but when I see some results for the Intels with DaveC test I will be switching if they compare a cooler running CPU means it will last longer.

But I think everyone (including me) is frighten to take the plunge to be the first and buy/build one of these macines to find out it dosnt perform as well as the AMD dual core and cost you twice as much

Keep me posted.

D.

Computers are built around binary, they therefore run on absolute logic - so
how come they are female !!!
Old 09-04-2006, 02:27 PM

It's Labor Day, everybody get to work ! I think this is typical of most new things and I really do not know anymore then a lot of you about how this will work, I think if you build an AMD you will be very happy, most everyone seems to be. I think that the E6300 mentioned earlier is a very good indicator but untill somebody, Digi or otherwise gets more of these tested who knows. I still plan to go with the core 2 duo unless things change drastically. If I were a betting man I would lay odd's that we will see lots of these processors and they will work with intel 945, 965 and 975 chipsets as well as the asus nvidia 570 board, but nobody has tried so who knows. I am in a bit of a hurry, but I will make my best call and let the chips fall where they may. Like I said earlier if you can't risk failure, I would go AMD. I sort of like the adventure, so If it doesn't work I will have the fastest email and internet box on the block. Great for our band members web cam's. I want to share what I learn either way, so again if you get anything going or have any thought's by all means let them fly. One last thought, most of the purpose built protools machines I have seen here do not build a general purpose workstation like the dell, capable of high order graphics, nor do they build for gaming. It may be that the best seat in the house for Protools is on a cost effective board, with some good but not the most expensive ccomponents. check out the under 600.00 amd on this site.
Anyway I am making final choices on mother and ram, which I still think is the only big choice.
I have a pci firewire card that works great with my 002 rack on our lowly Dell, so I may get a motherboard without the 1394. Not that they won't work but it could save some money and almost all the new boards have everything else I think I need, so I have more choices.

Day Dream Believer, Bob
Old 09-05-2006, 12:00 AM

Good Luck Bob.

Enjoy the adventure

Lets hope Digi step to the plate as well and gives some qualified stuff.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:46 AM

A system is being putting together for my buddy over the next few days. Here's the question: How much does it cost to upgrade from a PT LE 6.81 (acquired while purchasing Mbox2) to 7.1cs9 that is being referred to in the above post?

I found the $75 upgrade on the digistore but that only gets to 7.0. Since the system would like to be a Core 2 Duo E6300 (1.8GHz) I am understanding that the upgrade is required.

ttyl
Old 09-06-2006, 10:39 AM

Quote:
A system is being putting together for my buddy over the next few days. Here's the question: How much does it cost to upgrade from a PT LE 6.81 (acquired while purchasing Mbox2) to 7.1cs9 that is being referred to in the above post?

I found the $75 upgrade on the digistore but that only gets to 7.0. Since the system would like to be a Core 2 Duo E6300 (1.8GHz) I am understanding that the upgrade is required.

ttyl
Yo!

What motherboard and RAM are you planning to use?

-n
Old 09-06-2006, 11:28 AM

Motherboard: Asus P5LD2VM2 or Asus P5B (Prefer the P5LD2VM2 for the 945p chipset)(oops, 945g chipset)
Memory: Corsair 1GB DDR2 667 to start. Depending on the PT upgrade costs, maybe more.

1GB of mem seems crippling with this CPU but if all works fine as is, then we can thow a sick processor and more memory later on

Any comments?
Old 09-06-2006, 07:51 PM

Hey all

Good to see this post is up and runnng! Got some useful links for y'all:

Intel Core 2Duo comparison and required chipsets

Chipset feature comparison

These may help in deciding the way forward. It would appear at this stage that the only chipsets that support E6800, 6700 and 6600 are the 975x and the 965. The 975x offers dual PCI express x16 (SLI or Crossfire), the P965 is single PCI. Additionally, the 965 supports RAID (not that we can use it) and eSATA (a great idea for backing up, etc.).

So ... the MOBO I'm gonna buy is the ASUS P5B Deluxe. It'll support Core 2 Extreme (although I'll start with an E6600). I don't really care about SLI so I'm gonna get an ASUS 76000 Silent graphics card for quiet computing. The rig will be:

Intel E6600 Core 2Duo
ASUS P5B Deluxe
2 GB Corsair 6400 ram
Antec Sonata II case
ASUS 7600GS Silent
WD 160gb SATA II 8mb system drive
WD 320gb SATA II 16mb audio drive

And of course DIGI 002R

If anyone has tried any or all of these components I'd be keen to hear from you. I'm gonna build this next week so fingers crossed it will all work fine. I'll post my results and let you know how it goes - this could be the rig of the future!!!

Cheers

Doogz

PS: Y'all seen the new MBOX 2 PRO - looks good!
Old 09-07-2006, 05:16 AM

Hi there,

I'm also planing on getting a real similar configuration:
Intel E6600 Core 2Duo
ASUS P5B Deluxe
Mushkin DIMM Kit EM2-6400 2048MB PC2-6400U
Lian Li PC-60 Plus II case
Sapphire Hybrid X1900 XT
Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 200GB SATA II system drive
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA II audio drive
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA II audio drive
DIGI 002R

So I'm really curious how well these Systems will perform
Old 09-07-2006, 06:31 PM

Hey all, looks like lots of people thinking the same, I also have focused on the 965 Intel chip set boards, don't really need the 975 video power, 965 also supports PC6400 800 ram I think 975 stops at 667. I have the Asus board on my list, have you guys looked at new egg? There are lots of reviews on most of the available core 2 duo motherboards, the bios on these are still sort of green, you might want to read some of them, if you haven't. I will give you my best thoughts in an hour or two.

It looks like alot of you like either the E6400 or E6600, I am still keeping it open. I think you are all on track I would like to see these go

On the protools 7.0 upgrade question I am pretty sure after you pay for the 7.0 the 7.1 download is free. My new rack shipped with 6.9, we were automatical eligable for free up to 7.0 and how ever you get there, the roll up to 7.1 was available to all 7.0 owners no charge, It just checks for installed 7.0 and lets you download. Check out support downloads on their website,I don't want to speak for Digi but I'm pretty sure.
By the way your e6300 will be just fine with 7.0,its made for dual cores and its not a major update.

Maybe Three Asus / e6600's

Good to see doogz back, would not want you to miss this.

Its a long way to the top if you want To Rock and Roll, Bob
Old 09-08-2006, 01:12 PM

Here I go talking to myself again,

I think the asus looks like a great choice, I can't find anything that looks better. Doogz, which Corsair ram ? I was going to order parts this weekend, but since there are 3 of you building I could wait and maybe help us all, If your machines fly it's no issue, but if there are any troubles I might be able to help in a second test. I would be more than happy to help us all make this happen and would buy whatever we thought could get us going. I have decided I want to use the E6600 as well,so there would be at least 3 of us with very similar machines plus it looks like several 6400 and 6300 machines.
I think your choices look very good,so I can't find anything right off that can help, I am sort of jelous that you might be going before us but please let me know what you think because It might work to be setting these up at the same time. bios stuff, drivers etc. I don't think hard drives will be a factor, I was considering the seagates but western are also very good units.
Tjkili, how soon are you thinking ? it looks like we have arived at almost identical purposed systems. I am using an 002 rack 7.1 like Doogz. What interface and software are you running ?
Doogz let me know what you think about the timing here, I hope it goes real smooth but I really would like to help any way I can. It looks like the homework is over, its time for the test.

I want to be elected, Bob