Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | First Discussion

Old 05-12-2020, 08:14 AM

Default Migrate Pro Tools First to Pro Tools 11?

Hello. I have been using Pro Tools First for approx. one year. Running Windows 10 on Lenovo 8 GB Ram. Good computer. I have about 20 projects in varying states of completion that I do not want to lose. I store all locally. While I am largely happy with PT First, the lack of ability to export/backup projects and the 16 track limit are issues.

I have a friend who has given me his copy of Pro Tools 11 including the original discs, iLok, activation card, manual, everything. He is no longer using. I do not know if he has uninstalled, but can find out.

Questions:
1) Can I legally install this? I think the answer should be 'yes' since he purchased and is no longer using. He no longer has the iLok.

2) Manual says I should uninstall any previous Pro Tools before installing PT 11. I'm real scared of this. Fear I could lose everything. Is uninstalling PT First absolutely necessary? I'd prefer to have both PT First and PT 11 installed independently with either available. I could continue working on existing projects in PT First and/or migrate them to PT 11. New projects start in PT 11 going forward. Possible?

3) Will PT 11 recognize my current PT First projects?

My overriding concern is the safety of my current projects. I know simply installing on a different computer would remove all doubt. I also recognize that PT 11 is an old version and that I'd probably be better off just buying the current version. But, I'm on a budget and don't need a lot more capability. So, appreciate any advice. thanks.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:03 AM

Default Re: Migrate Pro Tools First to Pro Tools 11?

You need his ilok as it is a registered license on it and a if he lost that you cant just install PT11 and have a new ilok license. If he had it on an ilok at one time he needs that ilok to move the license from said ilok to his account and deactivate and send you the license via Avid and a transfer of ownership which is a paid transfer. You cant register with a code twice on a ilok.

So the activation card is useless as he already have registered it but if he NEVER used that card then youbgan use it. But as said you cant register a code twice.

—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 05-14-2020, 07:00 AM

Thanks for the reply. I have the original iLok, but my friend will have to transfer/deactivate his license from it, is what I'm understanding.

Still very concerned as to whether all of my existing work in Pro Tools First is potentially at risk and/or will be available if I go forward with trying to use PT 11.

Appreciate any input on that.
Thanks.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckg111 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I have the original iLok, but my friend will have to transfer/deactivate his license from it, is what I'm understanding.

Still very concerned as to whether all of my existing work in Pro Tools First is potentially at risk and/or will be available if I go forward with trying to use PT 11.

Appreciate any input on that.
Thanks.
PT first is the same as PT but a limited version limited by one’s and zero’s and opening projects from First in full versions is not gonna be issues if the version you update to has the same functions as PT First. PT11 is 6 years old or more so much has happened since and same with PT first as it is a more modern program so if it doesn’t work ln a session just bounce the files to audio and import them in PT11 or keep both versions on a patitioned harddrive or a secondary drive. Just because you install PT11 doesn’t mean you give up a free version of PT to upgrade with. You can downloae PTFirst as many times as you want as your PT First license will still be on your ilok account or of you keep it on your ilok key.

—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 05-15-2020, 07:13 AM

Thank you!
Old 05-15-2020, 08:55 AM

As for the iLoks, you can connect multiple iLoks to any system, and they can be from different account holders. As long as the products(Pro Tools or plugins) can"see" a valid license, they will all work.

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave