How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools 2020

Old 04-26-2020, 06:10 PM

Default Re: MIDI assignment bug remains

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
ANY company out there have first level support that only follows procedure. And where their script reading ends they escalate to second level support where they can actually think. Also when they cannot resolve it they escalate to third level support which must get the job done. Obviously not all problems can be solved so it is the L3 that can make the case for Engineering for a bug fix.

Fail to understand this and you can very well badmouth every company out there.
But they don't have to be obstinant about saying they don't know and will push it up a level. It's worse than pulling teeth to get a first level tech support person to push things further up the chain.
Quote:
Let's see what happens with MIDI 2.0
Hell Avid can't even get MIDI 1.0 working right - what makes you think they'll get 2.0 right (out of the gate)? I'll be pushing up daisies before they get MIDI straightened out. MIDI 2.0 has been talked about for well over a decade if not longer. Even Dave Smith has admitted the failings of the original MIDI spec.

I'd love to take advantage of all the neat things in PT 2020.3 but with the continued MIDI issues that happened with every release after 2019.6 I've given up hope. And I'm talking about issues that Avid tech support can repro

QAPLA!
Old 04-26-2020, 11:40 PM

The reasoning is what makes you think Avid will fix MIDI 1.0 now that they may implement MIDI 2.0 and tout it as a new feature?
Old 04-27-2020, 03:27 AM

Quote:
The reasoning is what makes you think Avid will fix MIDI 1.0 now that they may implement MIDI 2.0 and tout it as a new feature?
I'm not saying that Avid will fix MIDI 1.0 when 2.0 comes out but they can't even get 1.0 right so what makes you think they'll get 2.0 right? Remember when Avid said that PT11 was a complete rewrite and we got old bugs along with new ones? I'm saying the same thing will happen again.

QAPLA!
Old 04-27-2020, 03:29 AM

Complete rewrite is nerd language and means all rows of code have been reviewed for 64bit compatibility. Nobody obviously thinks Avid has started from zero rows of code
Old 04-27-2020, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Complete rewrite is nerd language and means all rows of code have been reviewed for 64bit compatibility. Nobody obviously thinks Avid has started from zero rows of code
That may be but Avid said they completely rewrote the audio engine and not just for 64 bit compatibility. They promised all sorts of improvements. We got some that worked and some that didn't. THAT'S what I'm saying will happen if/when they implement MIDI 2.0. I'm more than a bit of a pessimist on this bit.

QAPLA!
Old 04-27-2020, 03:36 AM

Will see when it eventually happens. Just sayin' I'm more pessimistic in Avid improving MIDI 1.0 because they mostly implement something and then forget it for years.
Old 04-27-2020, 03:43 AM

FWIW I'm still getting this on occasion as well, as you can see from my sweary rant here (it wasn't a great session) http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?p...28#post2557228
Old 04-27-2020, 03:44 AM

ducking great swearing in there
Old 04-27-2020, 09:37 AM

I get / got the backwards compatibility... and the kludge that was tdm then native rtas. But 12 was the new beginning .. and yet ..wacky stuff and obvious simple things like this midi thing

PT 2020.5, macpro 12 core trashcan 64 gig ram, MBP i7 9,1 16gig ram OS 10.12.3.. TBlt UA Apollo16 SSD's [samsung],
Old 04-27-2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:
I'm personally not concerned with their reasoning or their long term plan. MIDI 1.0 isn't broken. Pro Tools' implementation of it is. For $400 a year I think they should address a basic functionality issue and provide a level of support that is commensurate with the high cost. I'm paying for it, why shouldn't they provide what I'm paying for?

The MIDI protocol is over 30 years old. You think it's unreasonable to expect that it work correctly in a professional DAW in 2020? Because of an impending marketing strategy? I'm glad to agree to disagree but from my point of view they should fix MIDI 1.0 and implement 2.0 correctly.
Windows 10 Pro
HD Native PCIe
Lynx Aurora with LT-HD
Apogee
Mytek