Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-29-2010, 08:42 PM

Exclamation Avid MBox 3 Pro/Pro Tools LE 8.0.4 / Foot Switch Issues

I'm a happy 5+ year digi-design protools user. I bought an original MBox several years ago and run a 002 Rack and Command 8 in my home studio. I've been very happy with my Digi hardware and protools software.

Recently I purchased an MBox 3 Pro for mobile recording purposes. I did a ton of research and bought it because;
1). The 4 input pre's enable guitar / vox direct in's, plus the ability to mic the audience, with a left over pre for an ambient stage mic.
2). It's firewire.
3). Last but certainly not least- it has a foot switch for easy punch in / out while on stage.

Perfect set up for a singer/songwriter solo act wanting to easily record the gig with a high degree of independence. Presto! I take the tracks back home and mix 'em up.

I've tried everything that I can think of to get the foot switch to work. I have read all of the threads in DUC forums, googled on line, gone to gearslutz, tried 3 different momentary non latching foot switches.

The MBox 3 Pro foot switch instructions call for

1 Connect a footswitch to the footswitch con-
nector on the back panel of the Mbox Pro.
2 Launch Pro Tools.
3 Choose Setup > Hardware.
4 Select Record Punch In/Out or Playback Start/Stop.
5 Click OK.

When you go to step 3, the only option is for adjusting the settings for the Multi Switch. Nothing for a momentary foot switch.

Foot switches tried
Boss FS-5U, M Audio SP1, Yamaha FC5

I have tried plugging the foot switch into the MBox before powering it up, and then powering it up (the MBox) and then plugging the firewire into my laptop (while the lap top was on and also doing the same with the laptop off--and then powering up my lap top) and then launching pro tools. I've tried the above with polarity switches in both settings. I've tried plugging in and unplugging then re-plugging in the foot switch with both the MBox and Lap top on, in other words, extensive systematic testing. When none of this worked, I spent a total of 2+ hours on the phone with Avid support yesterday (100+ minutes of which were on hold waiting).

Avid support replicated what I tried on a Imac (I'm running a MacBook Pro--see specs below), and could not get the foot switch to work. They said they were going to try to replicate this on a MacBook Pro running the same version of software that I am running on my laptop. I called again today (only 45 min wait), and they said they escalated it 'Upstairs' and someone would call me back this afternoon.

So here is the bottom line folks--looks like maybe a bug. I am still waiting to hear back from them but have not heard back yet.

FYI -Sean Carney from Avid Support is a really nice guy--

Anyone have any ideas? If so holler--if it is a bug, there might be some other new Mbox 3 Pro users dialing the digi-avid digits for customer support.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Avid MBox 3 Pro/Pro Tools LE 8.0.4 / Foot Switch Issues

Haven't tried the footswitch thing yet, but I have the same Boss FS-5U, and it feels smooth, and would be great.
I wouldn't think a monetary switch would work in general.
When you enable Quickpunch (which you must also have to do yes?) does it make any difference with any of the footswitches? Maybe you can punch in but not out?
I remember having (still have it) the old Fostex X15 4 track cassette machine and could never find the footswitch for it, and literally having to take my right shoe off and use my toe to punch in, and then there was no way to punch out!!! Definitely made me fast as he** when I finally got on a real switch!
Let me know what finally works, as using a footswitch is a great thing!
Old 12-30-2010, 08:02 PM

Hi Soundboy-

RE: Your question "When you enable Quickpunch (which you must also have to do yes?) does it make any difference with any of the footswitches? Maybe you can punch in but not out?"--Nope, I wish it was that simple.

Today I spoke with an Avid Service Tech Manager. This is slated for deeper testing, meaning they are going to replicate the issue with hardware from the same production run on the same operating system I am using. The initial test confirmed that there is an issue.

Off the record, the Tech Mgr thinks it's probably NOT a software issue. The option for setting up the switch is not even in the hardware set up pull down as listed in the instruction manual on page 49 (see below). Worst case scenario is it's a hardware micro chip issue.

Using a Footswitch

The footswitch connector on Mbox Pro lets you use a footswitch pedal to control either playback start/stop or recording punch in/out. Both QuickPunch audio punch-in and punch-out and MIDI punch-in and punch-out recording are supported.
The footswitch connector is designed specifi- cally for instantaneous (momentary) on/off pedals with a 1/4-inch TS connector. Continu- ous on/continuous off pedals can also be used, but may result in unexpected behavior.
To use a footswitch control: 1 Connect a footswitch to the footswitch con-
2 Launch Pro Tools.
5 Click OK.

This is one of Avid's first big releases of a formally branded Digidesign product (MBox). Hopefully they are anxious to get it right. Foot Switches have been a thorn in the side of Digi for awhile...
Old 12-31-2010, 03:16 AM

Your post inspired me to try it. Though I'm using PT9, 003, and 10.6.3, I do have the same BOSS footswitch. I plugged a 1/4in instrument cable to it from 003, set up the prefs to use it as a punch in switch, enabled Quickpunch, armed a track and it worked perfectly.
Hope they can get it going, as it makes life a whole lot easier. You may want to try and flip that switch on the BOSS pedal next to where the cable plugs in but I think that's a polarity thing, and seemed to put me in record as soon as I switched it. Otherwise it works perfectly for punching in/out as well as start/stop.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:06 AM

Cool. Glad it worked for you. You have confirmed that there is nothing wrong with using that particular switch with the 003. The preferences don't even come up for me. Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2010, 10:44 AM

I don't see any switch prefs either, just choose punch in/out or start/stop
Are you putting the track in record enable, and enabling Quickpunch?
Don't think it will work otherwise.....or, maybe they goofed on the newer hardware?
Old 01-01-2011, 04:26 PM

The switch pref shows an option for the multi switch which shows up in the menu dialogue. Yes to both of your other questions.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:21 PM

Arrow Re: Avid MBox 3 Pro/Pro Tools LE 8.0.4 / Foot Switch Issues

Was there ever any solution to this problem? I do exactly the same:

1 Connect a footswitch to the footswitch con-
2 Launch Pro Tools.
5 Click OK.

Foot switches tried is Boss FS-5U
Nothing happens
Everything new , cables tested etc. Is there a bug?
Old 03-05-2011, 12:41 PM

Hello !

I have the same problem !

UP UP !
Old 03-05-2011, 01:37 PM

Not sure if this will help, but the footswitch you want is a momentary/N.O.(normally open). Working here on my 003, but it does switch a tad late with a little glitch, so each punch needs to be edited a bit. Usually using the [ tool ad dragging the start of the punch back to where it was supposed to star, takes care of it.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave