Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 12-06-2018, 06:19 PM

Default Eleven Rack with Cakewalk Sonar 8

Hey All!

I just recently purchased an 11 and love it!!! Cant do better for the price new!! $199

Anyway, I am using it as a DAW for Sonar 8 Professional and I noticed I cant control the signal on the track. Whether I move the faders..etc.. no change with the meters. Am I doing something wrong? I tried different input options through the software. But, no change. I figured I would ask..

Thanks in Advance!
Old 12-06-2018, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Eleven Rack with Cakewalk Sonar 8

Welcome to DUC... we’ll get you sorted out ASAP but need much better info...

Nothing makes a lot of sense here. And we cannot guess clearly what you mean.

The Eleven Rack is a hardware box.. guitar processor and audio interface. It is not a DAW.

Are you talking about Pro Tools First? that is a DAW.... and has a whole separate area on DUC.

Sonar 8 is also a DAW... are you trying to use that with the Eleven Rack as an Interface?

You need to describe stuff much better, when you move what fader where, on what track? What Meyer are you looking at where? What is connected to the Eleven Rack exactly how. How are you hearing audio output? On what exact device/monitors/headphones connected where? what actually works?
Old 12-06-2018, 08:54 PM

Hi Darryl!

Sorry! Ill explain a little better...

I want to use 11 as an interface into Sonar 8 Pro. So, I set up Sonar, using ASIO drivers for Sonar. So, what I think I figured out what I am doing is using the 11 rack to play back. Essentially, what I'm hearing is in the 11 rack and not monitoring through Sonar.

The reason the faders weren't responding to me was because I'm hearing it through the 11. So I have to set it up for monitoring with Sonar.

My input is set for Eleven Rack ASIO in and the output is set on Eleven Rack ASIO Main Out.

Ill play around a little more tonight and repost again. This way I have a better understanding of what Im doing to make it easier for those who know!! Lol

Thank You! I'm going to be learning the PT First software this week too. Ive never had a PT product so Im interested in seeing the difference and learning more!
Old 12-06-2018, 09:15 PM

Please do NOT judge Pro Tools full version after the PT First impressions as there are many limitations and you need to be online to use it.

Also you can only use plugins you buy from inside the PT First Marketplace/Avid Store and thats sad as many who wanna try out PT has a lot of third party plugins that wont work with it.

Good Luck and let us know what you think.

If you are serious about starting to use PT I would recommend getting a monthly subscription á $25-$30 and use it for a few months testing the real deal instead.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-06-2018, 09:24 PM

OK so this is only an issue when monitoring....

Unfortunately what you are seeing is how the Eleven Rack misbehaves with/was never really designed to work with third part DAWs.

The Eleven Rack has an internal monitoring path, essentially what you hear when playing guitar through it stand alone. Pro Tools mutes that internal
Path when using the Eleven Rack. Other DAWs do not do know how to do that, and Avid don’t provide a manual way to do that (they should). So you are hearing the normal DAW and this separate direct monitoring path audio.

So folks either track with Pro Tools, or mute the software monitoring in the DAW so they only hear the guitar over the Eleven Rack direct monitoring path, or they handg the Eleven Rack as an outboard processor off a larger interface (ideally via S/PDIF or AES/EBU) with that interface driving the monitors.

BTW if you play with Pro Tools First one other option that opens up is the entire suite of Eleven Rack amp sims and effects are available as plugins which lets you revamp etc. all in software. And these are all included inin the complete plug-in bundle that is ~$50/year. I am actually not a big fan of First and would encourage folks to skip to standard Pro Tools, but I am a big fan of the Rkeven Rack and the matching plugins.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-06-2018 at 10:08 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:25 PM

Hey!

I am interested in doing that. I figure that full software is a lot better to use than free or demo versions. Let’s face it, it’s an industry standard so it has to be good!
Old 12-06-2018, 09:59 PM

Probably my best bet is to still use my old interface (MobilePre), using 11 as an effects processor if I want to directly record to my computer. I use mics when I play with my band but at home, alone, kids...dogs...TVs make noise!! So I directly go in!

Thanks for everyones input!! I will probably after the holidays get the subscription. Right now Im laid up with 5 broken ribs and a separated shoulder.

I can only play my Flying V sitting down. I just wedge it between my legs and hold it that way..!