Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2004, 06:01 AM

Default Does Zone Alarm interfere with pro tools LE

I have a Dell 8500 and I am having buffer errors constantly. I am running zone alarm and I am wondering if it interferes with LE. I was having the problems before Zone. But I was wondering if it is something that is a problem
Old 05-11-2004, 07:25 AM

Default Re: Does Zone Alarm interfere with pro tools LE

I use PTLE 6.4 and have ZoneAlarm installed. No problems so far. I also use NOD32 antivirus with good results, this antivirus software is the least system demanding I've used. Norton Internet Security now rests in my trash can, this software is a total system clogger. As I use a laptop for PT (Compaq NX 7010, 1 gig RAM, 60 gig HD) also as my allround computer I need firewall and antivirus aswell. But with ZoneAlarm and NOD32 everything works very smooth.

www.jisander.se
Old 05-11-2004, 09:37 AM

I don't get it. Are you guys cruising the net while you're working on a PT session?

I thought not. So why don't you just turn these things off when you're running a session?
Old 05-11-2004, 10:20 AM

I try to stay away from programs that are running in the background. Zone Alarm is one of those. Get yourself a good Router with a firewall and you should be fine. I use the LinkSys Cable/Router and have never had problems. If you know how to get in and lock things down there should be no worries.

Also, I run 4 systems at home for my network, and use Norton Corporate Edition. This is a GREAT program, but it cannot be "installed" on my Pro Tools box. As a work around, I just have the PRIMARY Norton Server that I have designated to push out the updates to the other 2 boxes and went in and mapped one to scan my Pro Tools box hard-drives nightly. Works like a champ and cleans anything that may be harmful. Another app that I run is AdAware from www.lavasoft.com This cleans all the annoying Trojan horses and popup junk off the box and works really well. Free for the basic version. Worth looking into. All and all, the home setup works really well. I have Diskkeepr defrag all the drives on all boxes nightly and things are solid.

Why do I have so many systems you ask? Well, one is a Pro Tools only box. The other is a Animation and graphics box. The other is data backup, and one is a music/LOOP / Webserver machine. Over a terrabyte of storage and always growing.

- Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 05-11-2004, 01:23 PM

Hey Doc, you're a geek.

Quote:
mapped one to scan my Pro Tools box hard-drives nightly. Works like a champ and cleans anything that may be harmful.
If your PT machine doesn't go on the net, why do you need to clean it?

(cos it gets dusty?)

I use Norton virus and firewall. No probs.

And AdAware. And Spybot. And Stinger. And CWShredder.

I think I'm safe.

But I'm not sure...
Old 05-11-2004, 01:33 PM

Karel,
I am a geek, but you are the freak with the CRAZY LIVER VIDEO I do I.T. for the Defense world in D.C. so yes I have a network at my house. I did not say that Pro Tools box was not online. Heck ya it is.. Gotta get my booty stuff ya know! hahahah No man all my machines are on the network. I just know that Norton and Pro Tools do not like each other and Norton is very tasking on a system if you run real time protection. So I scan it nightly....

Now go find your liver!

- Doc

Monument Sound Facebook

Old 05-11-2004, 01:50 PM

And I bet you have a secret missile silo in the garden...

Just in case.

But this is a question of interest to me. I have this machine I'm sitting at here on the net loaded with Norton, and sometimes (though it can be a pain to get it going with the firewall on) I network the PT machine to transfer files back and forth.

So I never clean the PT machine. Is that a mistake? Should I worry about nasties creeping across?

Old 05-11-2004, 01:56 PM

Just share the drives on your network, map them to your box with Norton, and then set a scan to scan that box plus the mapped drives. Wha la... your Pro Tools box is now scanned!

That is all that I do. As long as your machine that has norton runs and is updated, you should be alright. Give me the IP in an e-mail and I will test it for ya!

- Doc

Monument Sound Facebook

Old 05-11-2004, 02:09 PM

ZA takes no CPU if running in the tray so long as your netcard unplugged, when your connected online ZA has to work hard to check/block packets not to mention your netcard using up CPU also (especially them integrated netcards).

If you care about your recordings keep it offline while tracking.
Old 05-11-2004, 02:14 PM

But my question was, do I need to scan Mr. PT, if I don't go on the net with him?

Strange you should say something about IP adresses. My Norton has just told me I've been attacked by something with my own IP adress! Maybe I have a virus...

Time for a scan methinks.