Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 02-19-2013, 01:33 PM

Cool Help with FireWire Drivers Audio Interface

Hello Guys,

A couple of days ago bought a MBOX PRO+ PT10.3.3 bundle,I have installed in a late 2009 Imac: Mountain Lion 10.8.2 and install the PT10.3.3 without problems, my problem is to detect the MBOX Interface, and I've installed the drivers 1.1.3 (30 October 2012) for MAC, however, appears to me Hardware not detected , to test if it was a problem of the interface, install the driver for Windows, under windows the interface its detected quickly, the difference is that in the MAC I'm using the FW800 adapter - and from there FW400 cable to the MBOX, but not detected, my question is has anyone been able to configure this interface?

Another idea that comes to mind is buying the thunderbolt to firewire adapter and then the adapter 800 including FW800 to FW400 mbox, Do you think that works?

PT10.3.3 its clear to me that this certificate to Mountain Lion 10.8.2, however MBOX Pro drivers do not work, I hope you can help me.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:44 PM

Lightbulb Re: Help with FireWire Drivers Audio Interface

Quote:
Originally Posted by herman_hdz View Post
the difference is that in the MAC I'm using the FW800 adapter - and from there FW400 cable to the MBOX
Do you have any other FireWire 400 device that you can connect to this adapter/cable combination and verify that your adapter/cable combination is working properly?
Old 02-24-2013, 08:29 PM

Exclamation Re: Help with FireWire Drivers Audio Interface

Hello Jonathan, at this time i was probing my configuration witj a mac book pro with osx lion using the driver 1.0.16 and was recognized, so with this probe I rule out that it is an issue of fw 800 to fw400 adapter or my firewire port , so Im tryng with the driver that i supposed is designed for my osx mountain lion but its not working,

I wonder if there is someone who does work with this version and the mbox pro?
Old 02-24-2013, 08:57 PM

Default Re: Help with FireWire Drivers Audio Interface

Quote:
Originally Posted by herman_hdz View Post
Hello Jonathan, at this time i was probing my configuration witj a mac book pro with osx lion using the driver 1.0.16 and was recognized, so with this probe I rule out that it is an issue of fw 800 to fw400 adapter or my firewire port , so Im tryng with the driver that i supposed is designed for my osx mountain lion but its not working,

I wonder if there is someone who does work with this version and the mbox pro?
Yes, but can you find out if any firewire peropehral works on this port on the iMac like a firewire disk drive. its not uncommon to damange a firewire port, includign by disconnecting devices while the computer is powered up. if that port does not work at all then getting a thunderbolt to firewire adapter is likely the next step.

Out of interest did you run the Mbox Pro uninstaller before installing the new version, if not try running the latest uninstaller, reboot the mac, and then rerunning the installer again. And as always do all this with the Mbox physically disconnected from the computer. I have *no* idea if this will fix this problem, but worth a try.

Also just a quick silly test to check that the driver are loaded properly from a terminal shell type

kextstat | grep com\.avid

and

kextstat | grep com\.digi

And look for the Mbox driver and version information and paste that back here.

Other folks here are reporting similar problems so keep a look out for what they find.

Darryl
Old 02-24-2013, 09:13 PM

Thank you Darril

I'm trying this:

iMac-:~ $ kextstat | grep com\.avid (not results)

iMac-:~ $ kextstat | grep com\.digi
92 0 0xffffff7f8127d000 0x40000 0x40000 com.digidesign.iokit.DigiDal (10.3.2f47) <10 5 4 3 1>

At this time I dont have a firewire peripheral like HD, i see the cable FireWire 800/400 9P/6P , This way I would avoid using the adapter but
would have the same effect that the adapter thunderlbolt to firewire ?

Note: for each driver installation first uninstall tested version and reboot the Imac , so after installing the next driver option.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:01 PM

OK i forgot to say to make sure the Mbox is connected before you run those commands. if it was not could you do it again. Assuming it was we should have seen the Mbox Pro driver loaded (com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro). But it looks like it is not even loaded into the kernel, either the firewire device scan screwed up or the device driver did not register itself properly or something else went wrong. Indulge me for a moment...

Lets see what the Mac is seeing about the Mbox. With the Mbox connected type the following into a terminal window

ioreg -c IOFireWireDevice -r

And paste the results here, that should list all devices discovered by OS X on the Firewire bus.

And now (regardless of what the above says) lets just force load the driver and see what it does. With the Mbox connected type the following into the terminal and post the results back here...

sudo kextutil -v 5 -b com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro

(you need to have admin privileges for this, and enter *your* standard password when prompted).

This just force loads the driver, and logs a bunch of diag checks, should not cause any problems. I'm interested in any errors, who knows, a _very_ long shot but the Mbox might even start to work (does it?). Warning errors from kextutil about symbolic links are OK (they are there for OS X backwards compatibility and not needed).

I'm not sure this will show anything obvious but I'm just curious. If I had a Mountain Lion system (I'm on Lion) and Mbox Pro sitting in front of me I could easily poke around more.

Darryl
Old 02-25-2013, 09:39 PM

Hello Darryl

Checking this commands output with mbox connected , the first impression was

kextstat | grep com\.avid <nothing happens>

$ kextstat | grep com\.digi
89 0 0xffffff7f812ff000 0x40000 0x40000 com.digidesign.iokit.DigiDal (10.3.2f47) <10 5 4 3 1>

$ ioreg -c IOFireWireDevice -r <nothing happens>

$ sudo kextutil -v 5 -b com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro

Password:
Kext user-space log filter changed from 0xff2 to 0xff7.
Kext kernel-space log filter changed from 0xff2 to 0xff7.
Kext library architecture set to x86_64.
No kernel file specified, using '/mach_kernel'
Kext library recording diagnostics for: validation authentication dependencies warnings.
Warnings:
The booter does not recognize symbolic links; confirm these files/directories aren't needed for startup:
/System/Library/Extensions/AvidMboxPro.kext/Contents/CodeDirectory
/System/Library/Extensions/AvidMboxPro.kext/Contents/CodeRequirements
/System/Library/Extensions/AvidMboxPro.kext/Contents/CodeResources
/System/Library/Extensions/AvidMboxPro.kext/Contents/CodeSignature
/System/Library/Extensions/AvidMboxPro.kext/Contents/Resources/ProToolsMDFInfo.bundle/Contents/CodeResources

/System/Library/Extensions/AvidMboxPro.kext appears to be loadable (not including linkage for on-disk libraries).
Loading /System/Library/Extensions/AvidMboxPro.kext.
Reading load info for 8 kexts.
Reading loaded kext info from kernel.
(kernel) User-space log flags changed from 0x0 to 0xff7.
(kernel) Received 'Get Loaded Kext Info' request from user space.
(kernel) Returning loaded kext info.
Loaded kext info:
{
"com.apple.kpi.mach" = {
"OSBundleWiredSize" = 2188
"CFBundleIdentifier" = "com.apple.kpi.mach"
"OSBundleUUID" = <6e87ed0d f0a44cc6 bcf78f6b 34fe8ad6>
"OSBundleLoadAddress" = -551895687168
"OSBundleLoadTag" = 5
"OSBundleStarted" = true
"OSBundleCompatibleVersion" = "8.0.0d0"
"OSKernelResource" = true
"CFBundleVersion" = "12.2.0"
"OSBundlePath" =
"//System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Mach.kext"
"OSBundleRetainCount" = 94
"OSBundlePrelinked" = true
"OSBundleIsInterface" = true
"OSBundleLoadSize" = 2188
}
"com.apple.kpi.libkern" = {
"OSBundleWiredSize" = 39416
"CFBundleIdentifier" = "com.apple.kpi.libkern"
"OSBundleUUID" = <6702966a 87b94c65 be96a315 37f70930>
"OSBundleLoadAddress" = -551895646208
"OSBundleLoadTag" = 4
"OSBundleStarted" = true
"OSBundleCompatibleVersion" = "8.0.0d0"
"OSBundlePath" =
"//System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Libkern.kext"
"OSBundleRetainCount" = 106
"OSBundleLoadSize" = 39416
}
"com.apple.kpi.bsd" = {
"OSBundleWiredSize" = 26732
"CFBundleIdentifier" = "com.apple.kpi.bsd"
"OSBundleUUID" = <bcdb0b0d 37b94321 9002add2 7ffeb8bc>
"OSBundleLoadAddress" = -551895605248
"OSBundleLoadTag" = 1
"OSBundleStarted" = true
"OSBundleCompatibleVersion" = "8.0.0b1"
"OSBundlePath" =
"//System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/BSDKernel.kext"
"OSBundleRetainCount" = 76
"OSBundleLoadSize" = 26732
}
"com.apple.kpi.iokit" = {
"OSBundleWiredSize" = 112620
"CFBundleIdentifier" = "com.apple.kpi.iokit"
"OSBundleUUID" = <d2997daa 30d44181 b4059220 92492327>
"OSBundleLoadAddress" = -551895564288
"OSBundleLoadTag" = 3
"OSBundleStarted" = true
"OSBundleCompatibleVersion" = "7.0"
"OSBundlePath" =
"//System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/IOKit.kext"
"OSBundleRetainCount" = 102
"OSBundleLoadSize" = 112620
}
"com.apple.kext.OSvKernDSPLib" = {
"OSBundleWiredSize" = 28672
"CFBundleIdentifier" = "com.apple.kext.OSvKernDSPLib"
"OSBundleStarted" = true
"OSBundleCPUType" = 16777223
"OSBundleCompatibleVersion" = "1.0.0d0"
"OSBundleUUID" = <e29d4200 5c5a3a05 8a28d3e2 6a985478>
"OSKernelResource" = false
"CFBundleVersion" = "1.6"
"OSBundleLoadTag" = 66
"OSBundleLoadAddress" = -551894257664
"OSBundleDependencies" = (
)
"OSBundlePath" = "//System/Library/Extensions/OSvKernDSPLib.kext"
"OSBundleRetainCount" = 2
"OSBundleCPUSubtype" = 3
"OSBundleIsInterface" = false
"OSBundleLoadSize" = 28672
}
"com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily" = {
"OSBundleWiredSize" = 192512
"CFBundleIdentifier" = "com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily"
"OSBundleStarted" = true
"OSBundleCompatibleVersion" = "1.1d25"
"OSBundleUUID" = <0616a409 b8af34ac a27af999 39d8bd48>
"CFBundleVersion" = "1.8.9fc10"
"OSBundleLoadTag" = 67
"OSBundleLoadAddress" = -551894228992
)
"OSBundlePath" = "//System/Library/Extensions/IOAudioFamily.kext"
"OSBundleRetainCount" = 4
"OSBundleCPUSubtype" = 3
"OSBundleLoadSize" = 192512
}
"com.apple.iokit.IOFireWireFamily" = {
"OSBundleWiredSize" = 471040
"CFBundleIdentifier" = "com.apple.iokit.IOFireWireFamily"
"OSBundleStarted" = true
"OSBundleCompatibleVersion" = "1.0.0"
"OSBundleUUID" = <a045a111 194f3e54 a63ee015 dc69b862>
"CFBundleVersion" = "4.5.5"
"OSBundleLoadTag" = 42
"OSBundleLoadAddress" = -551893000192
)
"OSBundlePath" = "//System/Library/Extensions/IOFireWireFamily.kext"
"OSBundleRetainCount" = 2
"OSBundleCPUSubtype" = 3
"OSBundleLoadSize" = 471040
}
}

Adding /System/Library/Extensions/AvidMboxPro.kext to mkext.
/System/Library/Extensions/AvidMboxPro.kext added 429072-byte noncompressed executable to mkext.
Created mkext for architecture x86_64 containing 1 kexts.
Loading /System/Library/Extensions/AvidMboxPro.kext.
(kernel) User-space log flags changed from 0x0 to 0xff7.
(kernel) Received kext load request from user space.
(kernel) Received request from user space to load kext com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro.
(kernel) Recorded kext com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro as a candidate for inclusion in prelinked kernel.
(kernel) Loading kext com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro.
(kernel) Allocated link buffer for kext com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro at 0xffffff7f9d285000 (315392 bytes).
(kernel) Kext com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro executable loaded; 77 pages at 0xffffff7f82285000 (load tag 119).
(kernel) Kext com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro calling module start function.
(kernel) Kext com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro registered class m_audio_Dmbp_FWAudioDevice.
(kernel) Kext com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro has IOService subclass m_audio_Dmbp_FWAudioDevice; enabling autounload.
(kernel) Kext com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro registered class m_audio_Dmbp_FWBaseEngine.
(kernel) Kext com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro registered class m_audio_Dmbp_FWEngineUserClient.
(kernel) Kext com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro registered class m_audio_Dmbp_FWIsochChannel.
(kernel) Kext com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro registered class com_avid_MboxProUserClient.
(kernel) Kext com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro registered class m_audio_Dmbp_FWBaseArrayProp.
(kernel) Kext com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro registered class m_audio_Dmbp_FWArrayProp.
(kernel) Kext com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro registered class m_audio_Dmbp_FWBaseProp.
(kernel) Kext com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro registered class m_audio_Dmbp_FWChannelGroupProp.
(kernel) Kext com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro registered class m_audio_Dmbp_FWPropertyDict.
(kernel) Kext com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro registered class m_audio_Dmbp_FWNumberProp.
(kernel) Kext com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro registered class m_audio_Dmbp_FW32BitNumberProp.
(kernel) Kext com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro registered class m_audio_Dmbp_FW64BitNumberProp.
(kernel) Kext com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro registered class m_audio_Dmbp_FWFunctionProp.
(kernel) Kext com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro registered class m_audio_Dmbp_FWTPacketIndex.
(kernel) Kext com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro registered class m_audio_Dmbp_FWEmbedObject.
(kernel) Kext com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro registered class m_audio_Dmbp_FWStream.
(kernel) Kext com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro registered class m_audio_Dmbp_FWKIPCUserClient.
(kernel) Kext com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro registered class m_audio_Dmbp_FWKernelTimer.
(kernel) Kext com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro registered class m_audio_Dmbp_FWRemoteIsochPort.
(kernel) Kext com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro registered class m_audio_Dmbp_FWDiscreteEngine.
(kernel) Kext com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro registered class m_audio_Dmbp_FWAggregateDevice.
(kernel) Kext com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro registered class m_audio_Dmbp_FWTimeSlaveEngine.
(kernel) Kext com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro registered class m_audio_Dmbp_FWPairEngine.
(kernel) Kext com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro registered class m_audio_Dmbp_FWPairStream.
(kernel) Kext com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro registered class m_audio_Dmbp_FWDiscreteDevice.
(kernel) Kext com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro registered class m_audio_Dmbp_FWTTrio.
(kernel) Kext com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro registered class m_audio_Dmbp_FWConnectionManager.
(kernel) Kext com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro registered class m_audio_Dmbp_FWDCLProgram.
(kernel) Kext com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro registered class m_audio_Dmbp_FWDCLOutputProgram.
(kernel) Kext com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro registered class m_audio_Dmbp_FWDCLInputProgram.
(kernel) Kext com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro registered class FWDICEAudioDevice.
(kernel) Kext com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro registered class m_audio_Dmbp_FWDICEEngine.
(kernel) Kext com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro registered class m_audio_Dmbp_FWDICEConnectionManager.
(kernel) Kext com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro registered class com_avid_MboxProAudioDevice.
(kernel) Kext com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro registered class m_audio_Dmbp_FWAggregateEngine.
(kernel) Kext com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro is now started.
(kernel) Kext com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro sending 1 personality to the IOCatalogue and starting matching.
(kernel) Kext com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro loaded.
Successfully loaded /System/Library/Extensions/AvidMboxPro.kext.
/System/Library/Extensions/AvidMboxPro.kext successfully loaded (or already loaded).

After last command i ran again:

kextstat | grep com\.avid <now show up>
119 0 0xffffff7f82285000 0x32000 0x32000 com.avid.driver.firewire.mboxpro (1.1.1) <67 42 5 4 3>

Finally i was opened de control panel for mbox pro, and still showing up not connected, what are the nex suggestions?

Many Thanks
Old 02-25-2013, 10:11 PM

The fact that

$ ioreg -c IOFireWireDevice -r

returns nothing says that there are no devices being detected at all on the Firewire bus. Not good. That is a problem if your Mbox was connected. This is low level detection, below the level of the Mbox device driver and indicates something low level is wrong here, either with the OS X Firewire drivers, other parts of the kernel's IO subsystem or the Firewire hardware. the fact that the Mbox works on Windows on a PC tends to exclude any problems there (you were on a different PC right, not booting windows on the same iMac?).

It would be really useful if you can connect any other Firewire device (anything at all, e.g. an external disk drive, CF or SD card reader, video camera, old iPod, *anything* that can connect to Firewire) and see if that device seems to work, also when that device is connected rerun the ioreg command and just see if something is returned. If there is any other device connected to the Firewire port on this computer then remove it (a faulty device could be killing Firewire), also try different cables and adapters.

The driver went ahead and loaded with no obvious errors, that excludes some possible driver/kernel interaction problems. But the driver can be up and running and still not able to talk to any hardware and won't report that as a problem in this test (and that is probably happening here).

You can also just try the standard Mac Firewire trouble shooting steps http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1151?viewlocale=en_US

Which may end up with you needing to -

Resetting the SMC http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

And resetting the NVRAM http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

If you have a recovery DVD its also possible to boot off that and check if the Firewire works at all with that boot kernel. You can find instructions on doing that in Apple's support knowledge base. That is a good test - and it it works you would reinstall OS X on the iMac. But only try this after resetting the SMC and NVRAM.

Darryl
Old 02-25-2013, 10:32 PM

Many thanks Darryl, I will do this suggestions, for a while the thunderbolt adapter arrives next week , so what do you think about to buy it ? exist a logical reason to work the mbox pro with this thunderbolt to firewire adapter?

Note: I was probing the mbox pro in another laptop running windows7 and works fine

Was probed too in a macpro runnin osx lion 10.7.5 with driver 1.0.16 and works fine,

So with two differents machines and S.O I'm sure that mbox its working fine but i have 2 theories

1.- that the last driver realease is not supported by mi osx mountain lion
2.- My firewireport its damaged

so to probe one of them ,on friday i will probe the mbox with another macpro but running mountain lion like my version so with this probe i will discard one of my theories.

Thank you for your help, i will working on this and i appreciate your response time

Regards
Old 02-25-2013, 10:41 PM

At this point I would bet money that either your iMac's Firewire hardware is damaged or OS X is corrupted/damaged. I doubt it is an Mbox or Avid driver issue (but i can't say for absolutely sure, there is always some chance there is a weird low level problem).

I did not realize your iMac had thunderbolt. If so then the thunderbolt to firewire adapter is a good idea, but it is possible that OS X corruption, or SMC or NVRAM problems still *might* cause problems with that adapter, so go thought all those troubleshooting steps now before it arrives.

And again the very next thing to try is some/any other Firewire device on that port and see if it works at all, then do all those trouble shooting steps. if you have an Apple store nearby you could also try taking it into the Genius bar to have them troubleshoot the Firewire.

Darryl