Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2011, 09:12 PM

Default $900 for a unit that worked for a week?

Man at this rate i'll be broke in a few months!!!

Got my 11R a few days ago and it worked great for a day or two...then no sound?

No sound on startup, no sound in stand-alone mode and no sound out of pro tools? Iv checked all my connections, my monitors work fine, my cables are good, the 11R settings are correct. Iv tested this unit at our studio and at home..whats the deal?

It came shipped with the latest firm ware, i even backed up all my presets and did a memory reset...no go.

And here's the kicker!!!

This unit was set up at our studio (www.titanrecording.com) and we were trying to demo it for some students, interns and clients (we do workshops in the evenings) when it decided not to first start working lol. Not sure if they'll be running out to get an 11R now lol *shakes head

Anyway if anyone has any ideas id really appreciate it!

Im really bummed, i was just starting to dig in and have fun with this thing.

Thanks
Old 04-08-2011, 09:16 PM

Default Re: $900 for a unit that worked for a week?

sounds like you got a bad unit, this has been a problem with a certain batch of 11R's. Contact Avid and they will replace it for you ASAP.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=273395

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 04-08-2011, 11:25 PM

Thanks for the thread Benoni, strange i searched for "no sound on startup" and couldnt find anything. I'll call support tomorrow...eh, i'll prolly have to wait till monday though, im assuming they have normal mon - fri business hours.

Anyway yeah, i hope that they can just send me a new one, even though its only a week old and im sure i can return it to GC, Iv already used my PT disk and registered, and I REALLY would hate to exchange it for another bad unit lol Unless they know the bad batch numbers and i can make sure the GC near me doesnt have any more of them.

Im just really disappointed, iv been stoked about the 11R for months and months and claiming to everyone how amazing it is....then i get a bad one lol

Thanks again
Old 04-08-2011, 11:42 PM

you "may" have trouble returning it to the store where you bought it since you say you have used/open the softwear. I would return it directly to Avid and get a new one that has the new improved part in it. Hopefully they will give you a prepaid shipping label and 2-3 day your new unit, but i have no idea what their policy is.

Its gotta be a huge bummer for sure to get a bad unit, but fear not, Avid WILL fix this for you and you wil be jamming again in no time.

Once your new unit arrives, check out the Eleven Rack Expansion Pack which adds a bunch of new amp and effects, its a great deal.

http://www.avid.com/US/products/Elev...Expansion-Pack

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 04-13-2011, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
sounds like you got a bad unit, this has been a problem with a certain batch of 11R's. Contact Avid and they will replace it for you ASAP.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=273395
I was wondering... Does Avid provide this replacement service to US customers only? Or is it worldwide?
Old 04-13-2011, 04:10 AM

I think the distributor handles it but it's covered under the warranty. I had some other problems with mine and my local distributor fixed it up good with zero hassel.

Death to all butt metal
Old 04-13-2011, 06:31 AM

I had a few problems where I would shut off the Eleven Rack while it was being used as a sound card. I'd turn it on the next day/no sound. It is because the computer has to be shut down to release the driver. I think you can also disconnect the USB cable if you have the need to shut it off while it's being used as a sound card. Once I figured it out, I had no problems. Yesterday, I used a laptop and shut the lid and it went into hibernation and did the same thing. Once you are in the situation where it is mute, you have to open Pro Tools or Cakewalk to initialize and get it working again. If you aren't by a computer, sometimes you can just change the output volume (anything up or down) and it comes back on it's own.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:09 PM

Well when i contacted Avid they said i would have to ship the unit back to them, then they would "fix" the unit, not replace it, and send it back, basically do an RMA. Unfortunatly this would take weeks and im knee deep in projects. My 11R was only a week old so i just took it back to GC and they swapped it out no questions asked =)

Also, fyi, the original unit was Rev E...the support tech over at Avid did some research for me and found that Rev H would be free of the "crystal" malfunction. I guess the defect "crystal" was what caused the clocking problem for the unit not to have sound at 44.1 and 88. That was my original issue, no sound in standalone mode and no sound through pro tools. I found a few work arounds like switching the clock to different settings and so forth, but for a $900 unit that was only a week old, i wasnt about to spend the rest of my days having to do workarounds to get my 11R to work lol.

So when i went to GC i made sure not to get a Rev E, i got an older version, Rev D, but it still came with the most current firm ware version and so far no issues =)
Old 04-13-2011, 01:57 PM

How do you find out the revision letter on 11r?
Old 04-13-2011, 02:09 PM

It was actually on the box...Rev E (on a sticker with the serial #) This was on the original 11R i got. I noticed this because once i opened the PT software i saw Rev A on that and thought it was strange they had 2 different rev numbers. The avid tech guy said they have nothing to do with each other, as the software is not tied to the hardware its bundled with.

Anyway im pretty sure they are up to Rev H now, even though i swapped it out for an older Rev D, it still came with the newest firmware and works great so far.