Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2012, 11:03 PM

Default Is Venue Profile good enough ?

Hi,

First post on this particular forum.
I will be doing the TV mix of the music for a prime time TV show here in the coming weeks.
It's a pure stereo broadcast mix (I won't have to handle the PA or the monitor mix).
For different reasons I might be doing the job on a Venue Profile system connected by Madi to the stage.
Around 50 mics coming from the stage to handle on the console.

My question might sound strange but is the Profile "good" enough to do a broadcast mix ? I am of course concerned by the sound quality and the functionalities of this system.
I usually uses broadcast consoles like StageTec Aurus or Lawo MC2 66.

Another possibilty would be a Digico desk ...

Any input is welcome.

Thanks for your time.

Pascal
www.standup.be

MacPro 2019 16 Core
PT Ultimate 2021.3.1
HDX 1
D-Command
Old 02-11-2012, 12:15 AM

I think you will have no problems, but I do advise that you take the time to set it up properly prior to the event, and start to memorise channel layouts. Sound quality wise, I personally think it sounds a little bit "analogue".

Sent from my iDevice using Tapatalk - now you have to guess which one!
Old 02-11-2012, 03:50 AM

Default Re: Is Venue Profile good enough ?

Whatever anyone may try and say to the conterary, the sound quality of the Avid live consoles is a non issue. That people have personal likes and dislkes for various brands, for whatever reason's, sound quality is in the ball park of anything out there and you have great onboard effects, that no-one else in the digital console game can equal.

Enjoy, I do!
Old 02-11-2012, 08:04 AM

IMHO "Sound of the desk" also comes from the tools you can use to create the mix. I know no other desk that can run so many harmonic-enhanching dsp (crane song, massey, digidesign) fine multiband dynamics (waves, mcdsp, tc-electronic) or reverbs of that quality level all inside the desk.

I see the main reason for them not being sold as broadcast level desks is the lack of 96khz. Hoping to see that changed on the next generation of VENUE desks.

Here were I write form we constantly feed the Broadcast-Grade-Lawo's sitting in the trucks 2 track mixes from VENUE desks that are doing the actual sound for "American Idol" or any other similar type shows involving live artists.

PLUS, ability of easily doing multi-track recording at the same time has saved engineers reputation when something did go wrong *live* and the engineer was blamed for no reason
Old 02-11-2012, 09:57 AM

Thank you for your input.
The main reason I tend to choose a Venue System is the plug ins which can use, the same I use in the studio.
For those who already did that kind of job, do you have any specific advice ? As I won't have a backup console, I was thinking of also feeding the main truck with the FOH music mix just in case, is that a good idea ?
Any other ideas are welcome ....

Thanks for your time.

Pascal
www.standup.be

MacPro 2019 16 Core
PT Ultimate 2021.3.1
HDX 1
D-Command
Old 02-11-2012, 10:40 AM

Absolutely! I have fallen in love with the plug-ins...when used properly they can create a killer mix. I recently purchased the SSL collection from Waves. I was thrilled about how just adding them in the mix can have such a drastic improvement on the sound. I am not saying that the VENUE by itself sounds bad by any means...but I was totally in awe.

The VENUE's lacking 96k is a buzzkill for many engineers to use them for a broadcast mix, but when given the option, I would probably take the VENUE since I am the most comfortable with that system and the endless possibilities of plug-ins available.

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 02-11-2012, 12:00 PM

To be honest, I'm a bit scared of the latency of the Profile console when in a broadcast situation.
Any input on that ? advice ?
I'm of course planning to have many plug ins inserted, any experience regarding this ?

Pascal
www.standup.be

MacPro 2019 16 Core
PT Ultimate 2021.3.1
HDX 1
D-Command
Old 02-11-2012, 10:31 PM

I wouldn't worry much about input-to-output latency. If your output is 5ms behind the source it will never be noticed by the broadcast audience.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:46 AM

OK, so latency won't be a problem, that's fine.
Thanks for the info

Pascal
www.standup.be

MacPro 2019 16 Core
PT Ultimate 2021.3.1
HDX 1
D-Command