Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > Buy & Sell

Old 04-11-2013, 01:34 AM

Default CPTK Purchase question

If you own a PT 10 license, can you purchase a CPTK 10 license from a 3rd party?

The transfer agreement is unclear. It says that all software is tied to hardware, but PT 10 and CPTK were sold without hardware.

I attempted to purchase CPTK 10 from a 3rd party, but they have run into difficulty with iLok getting their license transferred to my account.

I want to be able to eventually upgrade to PT 11, but I am concerned that if I cannot transfer ownership with Avid, I would be unable to do so.

So there are the two issues: 1) will the seller with whatever paperwork hassle required by able to transfer the license to my iLok account; and, if successful, will I later be able to upgrade to PT 11 HD software from the CPTK 10?

Could someone please clarify this for me?

As the contracts say, 'time is of the essence.'

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:12 AM

Default Re: CPTK Purchase question

No one knows exactly how they will be doing these upgrades yet, and it hasn't been announced.

It is assumed they will just go by the licenses on your Ilok, and at that time you will surrender both the PT10 and CPTK licenses to get the HD11 license (which also includes an HD10 license, so you can still use the full software features even in PT10).

However, what is concerning here, is that the seller is having trouble trying to transfer the license.

This has never been a problem previously, and this indicates that Avid might have changed something to prevent people from doing exactly what you're trying to do. In other words, they want this offer to go only to people who had the CPTK all along, not people trying to get it as a way to get an HD11 license.

Not that there's anything wrong with what you're doing, but it looks like Avid might be blocking this.

Note that Avid has never required transfer of ownership for plugins, in fact they've never had anything to do with it (transfer of ownership doesn't apply to this). People have just done this on their own, usually with no problems.

But lately they've been getting stricter with transferring Protools software licenses, and now they may be doing the same thing with this.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
No one knows exactly how they will be doing these upgrades yet, and it hasn't been announced.

It is assumed they will just go by the licenses on your Ilok ...
Thanks, nst7.

I called the transfer desk this morning and got this information.

1) The CPTK is considered a 'plugin,' and as such cannot be transferred/ reregistered.

While you might be able to transfer the license via iLok ... which is in question as apparently license transfer through iLok is also subject to the software vendor's policies, you would have no upgrade path as you wouldn't be eligible to purchase the upgrade.

2) The only way a CPTK could be sold and registered by a new owner with full upgrade benefits would be if the authorization number had never been registered with an Avid account.

Good luck finding #2!

DFT
Old 04-11-2013, 10:56 AM

Another possibility for future higher end plugs etc. I would recommend...

Since I have owned so many copies of Pro Tools and various plugins over the years, I now gotten in the habit of making a brand new Avid account for any of the higher dollar stuff like the CPTK.
So that way, if I wanted to sell an extra copy of Pro Tools, etc. I could sell it, and not only transfer the license from my iLok to the buyer, I can also give them the Avid account its tied to. So they will get all the download stuff as well as the license.
Since you can update any of the information in an Avid account, I just change the info to the buyers info & email address. Has worked flawlessly.

I always hated buying a second hand plug or software license and then have to chase down the latest software for it. This way is simple & sweet.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctyelvis View Post
Another possibility for future higher end plugs etc. I would recommend...

Since I have owned so many copies of Pro Tools and various plugins over the years, I now gotten in the habit of making a brand new Avid account for any of the higher dollar stuff like the CPTK.
So that way, if I wanted to sell an extra copy of Pro Tools, etc. I could sell it, and not only transfer the license from my iLok to the buyer, I can also give them the Avid account its tied to. So they will get all the download stuff as well as the license.
Since you can update any of the information in an Avid account, I just change the info to the buyers info & email address. Has worked flawlessly.

I always hated buying a second hand plug or software license and then have to chase down the latest software for it. This way is simple & sweet.
As Russ from Pro Tools Experts would say: "Right. Brilliant!"

Unfortunately, that won't help with my immediate purchase needs.

You are saying that you can create a separate account for a plugin that isn't attached to your basic software account, correct?

And you can provide a common iLok account for each of them?

DF
Old 04-12-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFT View Post
Thanks, nst7.

I called the transfer desk this morning and got this information.

1) The CPTK is considered a 'plugin,' and as such cannot be transferred/ reregistered.

While you might be able to transfer the license via iLok ... which is in question as apparently license transfer through iLok is also subject to the software vendor's policies, you would have no upgrade path as you wouldn't be eligible to purchase the upgrade.

2) The only way a CPTK could be sold and registered by a new owner with full upgrade benefits would be if the authorization number had never been registered with an Avid account.

Good luck finding #2!

DFT
I think your conclusions, unless everything you posted was a direct verbatim quote, regarding upgrade path/eligibility are bit of a reach. That it cannot be re-registered does not change the fact that a valid CPTK license is present in the PT10 owners iLok.
RME, Daking, Heritage, ISA, Sytek

Old 04-12-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKG View Post
I think your conclusions, unless everything you posted was a direct verbatim quote, regarding upgrade path/eligibility are bit of a reach. That it cannot be re-registered does not change the fact that a valid CPTK license is present in the PT10 owners iLok.
How so?

Someone may want to buy a CPTK to use now without upgrade rights/ path, but I certainly wouldn't.

Discontinuation of CPTK and the opportunity for current owners to upgrade to PT 11 HD must mean that Avid wants to discontinue upgrade from 'Vanilla,' unless it is tied to hardware.

The seller I was going to buy the iLok license transfer from informed me that he had been required to fill out and return extensive paperwork by iLok before they would consider carrying out any transfer to my account.

If this is the "reach," it is true that this may simply be an internal policy independent of influence from Avid. Don't know.

I have found existing copies of CPTK at Amazon and at B&H Photo, ordered one from the later and am awaiting it's arrival.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:30 PM

You are stating conclusions based on what? The fact that Avid has officially discontinued CPTK sales and that a seller told you Ilok requested paper work certainly does not imply what you are nearly stating as fact. It only obfuscates the issue. And for pete's sake, don't give them anymore underhanded ideas, they've already went a long way in whacking a lot of long time customers already.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKG View Post
You are stating conclusions based on what? The fact that Avid has officially discontinued CPTK sales and that a seller told you Ilok requested paper work certainly does not imply what you are nearly stating as fact. It only obfuscates the issue. And for pete's sake, don't give them anymore underhanded ideas, they've already went a long way in whacking a lot of long time customers already.
Sorry, I thought I stated that the issue regarding upgrade rights to iLok transferred software was stated to me when I contacted the Avid Transfer Desk to inquire as to how to do it. They said I couldn't get upgrades unless I was a registered owner and that I could not transfer ownership of software.

I then found this: http://www.avid.com/US/support/transfer/audio

Read down the page. It is stated quite clearly.

I don't mean to provide Avid with any ideas, underhanded or otherwise, to frustrate their customers. But clarity of understanding is a virtue.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFT View Post
Sorry, I thought I stated that the issue regarding upgrade rights to iLok transferred software was stated to me when I contacted the Avid Transfer Desk to inquire as to how to do it. They said I couldn't get upgrades unless I was a registered owner and that I could not transfer ownership of software.

I then found this: http://www.avid.com/US/support/transfer/audio

Read down the page. It is stated quite clearly.

I don't mean to provide Avid with any ideas, underhanded or otherwise, to frustrate their customers. But clarity of understanding is a virtue.
The transfer info on the page refers to hardware and as it relate to the hardware exchange program and PT licenses being connected to core systems. Regarding plugins and other optional software it simply states that they do not transfer registration and that it is handled between individuals via iLok, it says nothing of being connected with any upgrade or exchange. Nothing new there really. Per Avid's own rules, as stated, I don't see an issue.

I do agree clarity is best.