Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2024, 09:17 PM

Default New (again) To PT

New (again) to Protools. Just subscibed, installed. None of my loaded plugins (I come from years of using another DAW, and everytime I loaded a plugin I always included the AAX version. Just ran the PT prefs tool and verified all Universal (at least the majority). Yet, none show up in my protools plugin inserts. None except AVID's own plugins. I cannot figure out why. If any one has a solution, it would be appreciated. I am running on a mac studio(migrated 18months ago). I did have protools 11 on my previous mac. But seldom used.
Thank you in advance if you have any suggestions for me. (I have tried in both Rosetta and Native, no change. 4gig ram, Mac studio)
Old 01-21-2024, 12:32 AM

Default Re: New (again) To PT

Hi Welcome to DUC.

Some nice troubleshooting here.

You say 4GB of RAM, Pro Tools won't really run in only 4GB. And you can't buy a Mac Studio with 4GB. So can you check the model/spec of the Mac and describe as best you can. What version of MacOS is the Mac running?

Your signature says 2023.12, which should be great.

You did great troubleshooting with PT Prefs 2... so we know all those .aaxplugin files are actually in the plugin folder and most are Universal.

Make sure you are looking at inserting plugins on suitable tracks, many VIs for example require a stereo (not mono) instrument track, and just won't appear in the inserts pulldown list if the track is mono.

Do you see all the plugins load into Pro Tools when it starts up? You should see this happening in the splash screen.... they can scroll by fast but does it look like all the plugins that are installed?

You should try trashing prefs (using PT Prefs 2). That will do several things, but importantly includes trashing the plugins cache file that can get corrupted and cause all sorts of plugin loading issues. When you first start Pro Tools after trashing prefs, you'll see the plugins load more slowly in the splash screen, it's slower because Pro Tool is rebuilding the plugin cache file. Do you see now the plugins loading OK in the splash screen?

Oh and I hope you don't have your documents and home directory stored on iCloud, that's asking for problems.

Still stuck try creating a new macOS admin account (with no iCloud storage) and log into that account and see if that works, starting with a new empty session.

Still having problems then the log file might give some clues, but they are fairly cryptic. ~/Library/Logs/Avid/Pro_Tools_*.txt
Old 01-21-2024, 01:18 PM

Default Re: New (again) To PT

Sorry, I have 128Gig memory in my mac studio.