Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2014, 07:15 AM

Default Re: Does anyone with a Mac Pro/HDX have a stable system at low buffer settings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
I've been shouting about this for 2 years.

HDX is over priced. Get more cards into people's hands and drive demand up.

Bring back the Massive Pack. Remember those??

HDX cards should be $3995 and you should be able to buy one separately.

Problem solved.
So let's a few more of us keep on shouting. Your suggestion's make total sense as well! Who the heck is running the marketing department at Avid? If they applied some common sense ideas like yours the future for professional record makers, not to mention the companies bottom line, might actually look a little brighter.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:09 AM

Default Re: Does anyone with a Mac Pro/HDX have a stable system at low buffer settings?

+1 on bombing avid back into the stone age with emails and posts for more and cheaper DSP offerings.

+1 on shamefully unreliable system performance at low buffers.

+1 on constant 9XXX errors since the day i invested in HDX.

+1 on running the most powerful production machine available that the card fits in (2012 12 core 5.1 Mac Pro, 64 gis ram, SSDs etc) and what is supposed to be the most powerful pro tools system ever and having more crashes and headaches than on TDM or any other system i can remember.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound_music View Post
+1 on bombing avid back into the stone age with emails and posts for more and cheaper DSP offerings.
3rd party is where this effort needs to be. Avid is and is continuing to be better here.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:38 PM

I hate to be negative here but there is still the chance that the Avid guys have not done due diligence in providing sufficient incentive to 3rd party developers to produce AAX DSP plugins. Of course this would make no sense to their bottom line but it wouldn't be the first time that the behavior of this company turns out to be inscrutable.

Last edited by WernerF; 06-04-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:57 PM

Preachin to the Choir!

Im on HD native not HDX. But the 9171 or whatever 9*** errors seem to be consistant across both HD native and HDX. I went with the native system mainly for the poor offering of AAX DSP plugs. Plus an 8 core mac with 20gigs of ram and SSD drives on 64bit PT11. Magic land! All your dreams will come true.

In all seriousness. I remember making the jump from PT6 to PT7. Same thing. Whenever they change a bunch of stuff it all gets F'ed up. Granted 6 to 7 was only the mix and edit window look changes I believe. Same Mix engine (DAE) and coding under the hood.

10 to 11 was an entire rewrite. Completely new summing and mix engine (AOE). Im hopeful that at some point in the (near) future more stable releases will come out and low buffer operations will start to work.
Just is pretty crappy to deal with in the mean time.

Hang in there. If too stressed, please consult your nearest brothel to discuss treatment plans that will work for you!. : )
HD Native
HD MADI
Artist Mix
Old 06-04-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
The existance of more actual DSP plugins would help this issue wouldn't it? Is this an issue that we should maybe not be ignoring?
I guess it would help for the more CPU intensive plugins like T-Racks & VTM. They seem to really hit the CPU especially when used on the master.

22 GB is because I upgraded from 6GB i believe. 2 x 8GB + 3 x 2GB sticks, or something like that. Mac OSX 10.7 (back in the PT9 days) told me I had them installed correctly anyway.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:31 PM

mixed sticks is not a good thing
you should be running ether 6 8s or 6 2s but not both

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 06-05-2014, 03:58 AM

I believe it to be unlikely that mixed RAM sticks are causing the problems we are describing here.

So here is the smoking gun regarding HDN/HDX. I get 9171 errors with a single track sometimes at low buffer settings. All the time with 16 track session with a single eq and a native reverb. These are not big mixes.

In addition, I can run all day at low buffer settings by simply switching to built in output in the playback engine. My computer is not the problem...
M1MAX Mac Studio OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, HDX, S1/Dock
M1 PRO MacBook Pro OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, BabyFacePro FS
Old 06-05-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Russell View Post
In addition, I can run all day at low buffer settings by simply switching to built in output in the playback engine. My computer is not the problem...
+1 on this. The CPU usage/overall stability completely chills out when switching the playback engine off of HD hardware. Just tested it and achieved the same results after 10 tests. Crazy.

To bad the mac pro doesn't have Genelecs in it.
HD Native
HD MADI
Artist Mix
Old 06-06-2014, 05:31 AM

"To bad the mac pro doesn't have Genelecs in it."

Well....
Then it would be even more shrill than it already is.