Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2014, 05:29 PM

Default Pro Tools 10 wont load past plugins

I've had pro tools 10 & 11 for about a month now and I've browsed the web for hours trying to find a solution to this problem.

Whats happening is when I launch pro tools 10, the initial loading window comes up, it gets through all of the plugins until it reaches the AIR plugins where it shuts down and I get the error 'Pro tools has shut unexpectedly'.

I've tried clearing out my plugins folder and reinstalling them to no avail. I have also looked around and from what I can see my operating system should work fine with pro tools 10. Reinstalling pro tools 10 and updating it hasn't worked either. I should add that I have been running pro tools 11 with no problems at all.

I'm using a Macbook Pro with 4 GB of RAM which is running OSX Lion 10.8.5.

If anyone can help me on this topic it would be greatly appreciated as I'm recording and really need to have access to pro tools 10 for the 32-bit plugins.

Thanks!
Kyle
Old 01-04-2014, 06:40 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10 wont load past plugins

I had the same problem with updating PT 10 and this is how I resolved it. Essentially PT10 is running out of memory interrogating each plug-in.

I moved the contents of /Library/Application Support/Digidesign/Plug-Ins to a backup folder. Basically copied ALL the plug-ins to a backup folder and then trashed everything in /Library/Application Support/Digidesign/Plug-Ins leaving the folder in tact but empty.

Started PT10 and it interrogated all the AAX plug-ins and started successfully. Shutdown PT 10.
Put all the (RTAS) plug-ins back into /Library/Application Support/Digidesign/Plug-Ins and restart PT 10 and it should be able to interrogate the RTAS plug-ins and start successfully.

I've done this for the last 2 updates of PT 10 successfully.
OWC Express 4M2 (4 X 2TB)
Interface: Presonus Quantum
Presonus Faderport & Faderport 8
Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128
BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
2020 Macbook Pro 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)

Last edited by bradch00; 01-05-2014 at 01:31 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:39 PM

Thanks very much, problem solved as easy as that! You're a lifesaver! So good to be able to use all the old plugins again.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradch00 View Post
I had the same problem with updating PT 10 and this is how I resolved it. Essentially PT10 is running out of memory interrogating each plug-in.

I moved the contents of /Library/Application Support/Digidesign/Plug-Ins to a backup folder. Basically copied ALL the plug-ins to a backup folder and then trashed everything in /Library/Application Support/Digidesign/Plug-Ins leaving the folder in tact but empty.

Started PT10 and it interrogated all the AAX plug-ins and started successfully. Shutdown PT 10.
Put all the (RTAS) plug-ins back into /Library/Application Support/Digidesign/Plug-Ins and restart PT 10 and it should be able to interrogate the RTAS plug-ins and start successfully.

I've done this for the last 2 updates of PT 10 successfully.
Actually you didn't have to move things back and forth. All you had to do after PT crashed/stopped the first time would be to re-start PT10 and it will finish the job without any further ado. That's what I did when I installed the PT 10.3.8 update. First start after the update PT would only go so far and quit because of running out of memory and I have 32 gig (unfortunately PT10 being 32 bit only sees the first 4 gig). So I just restarted PT 10.3.8 and it finished it's scans and all is well.

QAPLA!
Old 01-05-2014, 08:16 AM

Unfortunately (possibly due to the amount of plug-ins I use) that approach didn't work for me… it crashed and restarted PT 10, 5 times in a row before I finally moved the RTAS plug-ins out allowing it to cache up the AAX plug-ins and then put the RTAS back in place. Each crash was farther down the path however, so eventually your approach would have worked.

I think it really depends on how many plug-ins are in use.
OWC Express 4M2 (4 X 2TB)
Interface: Presonus Quantum
Presonus Faderport & Faderport 8
Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128
BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
2020 Macbook Pro 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)