Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2011, 06:42 AM

Default Disk Processing Activity / System Usage

From the PT Manual, page 80:

"System Usage
Disk Displays the amount of hard disk processing activity.
As these meters approach their limits, host processing and recording or playback of automation data can be affected. If Disk Activity is high, Pro Tools may miss playback of some automation data during particularly dense periods
of activity, such as while using the Bounce to Disk command."

If anybody has some more insight of what the meters are saying, please elaborate...

- How high is too high?

- What actions help minimize disk processing activity? ie: consolidating to eliminate fades, and a bunch of chopped up regions, etc.

- Is it better, for disk processing activity, to have one whole audio file from beginning to end, or small audio files only where they occur in each track?

- I have a 1GB G Drive with 3 partitions: 2@400GB, and 1@200GB (used for sound libraries, samples). Would it help disk processing activity to use larger partitions? ie: 1@1TB or 1@800GB and 1@200GB?

https://linktr.ee/sergius128
Old 12-25-2011, 07:15 AM

Default Re: Disk Processing Activity / System Usage

When I'm working with high track count sessions, I trim the regions so it is only playing audio tracks when needed. I don't partition up my audio drives. I buy a drive and use that drive in its entirety for audio.

I store sample libraries on another drive. These are by no way "laws" lol but practices I do based on my knowledge and experience.

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |