Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2010, 02:07 PM

Default motherboard questions

I'm looking for a motherboard to run an HD-3. Ideally it would have lots of CPU power left over for RTAS plug-ins. It needs three PCI slots of the same kind, so if I get a PCI-x it has to have three PCI-x slos operating at 133 MHz, yes? Or, if I get a PCI-e Pro Tools system, then the motherboard has to have 3 PCI-e slots of the same kind, like, three 8x slots let's say. Am I correct so far or is there some slop in the "uniformity" requirement?

Then - scanning the availabe motherboards from various companies, it appears that getting ANY motherboad with three idential backplane connectors is very difficult these days! I found one from SuperMicro that has 6 PCI-x slots, three of which are 133 MHz. That's all, just the one, and the backplanes from most manufacturers look like a mish-mosh of "one of each" in terms of connectors and card types.

First question is, what kinds of motherboards are you using for HD-3's? And second question is, are there any other possibilities? Like, is there some kind of expansion bridge that turns a single PCI-e connection into an 8x PCI-x expansion chassis, or some such thing? I want dual CPU's if I can get them (as many cores as possible), and plenty of RAM - so what are the hot motherboards these days? (ps Fry's doesn't even stock anything with two sockets anymore.... sigh...)
Old 10-10-2010, 03:01 PM

Default Re: motherboard questions

You can use standard length PCI slots for your full length cards.

PCI-e compatibility is for x4 slots I believe... which means you can use a x4, x8, or x16 slot and mix them for the three cards.
Presonus StudioLive 16 Channel Mixer
Digimax D8 8-Channel Preamp
Command 8
Vocal and Instrument Recording/Live PTHD Mixing
Old 10-10-2010, 03:30 PM

Any motherboard with any size of slot (1x, 4x, 8x, 16x) will work with the cards, as the cards only use 1x. Every single type of PCIe slot can run electrically at lower speeds. Thats the beauty of PCIe.

Nick
OCZ Agility 64 GB SSD
Hitachi 1TB 32 MB HDD
WD Caviar Black 500GB
Saphhire HD 5850
3 x 20" monitors

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Fender Super Champ XD
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 Silver Edition W/ Silver Jubilee Cabinet
Old 10-10-2010, 05:31 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813121410

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813121407

and If i were building a new box today i would most likley get into this one
http://www.evga.com/products/moreInf...%20Family&sw=5

http://www.evga.com/articles/00537/

I voted at www.deardigi.com
Old 10-12-2010, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeX View Post
You can use standard length PCI slots for your full length cards.
Hi - thanks for this tidbit. But what are the extra pins for? And don't most of the connectors have fat edges so they (deliberately) won't fit into the slot thingie?
Old 10-12-2010, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullsound Recording View Post
Thanks for these tips, Fullsound. That EVGA piece looks real nice... drool...

Cost on that, for a single processor, is about 3500, and for two processors maybe 5 grand and change. (5680's with a minimal configuraion, only three of the DDR slots populated on each side, firewire card, dual monitor video, and a couple of nice big drives). Oh and a nice big power supply.

Plus you could multi-boot it and have a "safe mode" ProTools that you can always access and an "experimental" ProTools booting on the same machine with access to the same projects. Hm, this has possibilities.

And blazingly fast CPU's make it a natural for M-Powered too, so why not add an extra partition for that too? Ha ha - if you're smart you'll never have to unplug iLoks. Ha ha. :)
Old 10-12-2010, 09:15 AM

I use the Intel H55HC motherboard with 3 adjacent PCI slots. You will need to add a firewire card, and you'll need a video card for use with Windows 7. Runs Pro Tools great, $99.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...7BBTkwCjCECjCE
Old 10-12-2010, 10:44 AM

I have a pal that does Video editing and he built three weeks ago a monster box out of that EVGA board and for test I took my PCIe cards and interface over to his place and installed PT and it was fine. Loaded every gosh darn RTAS we could and tried to bring the box to its knees and could not.

I voted at www.deardigi.com
Old 11-26-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsqtr View Post
Hi - thanks for this tidbit. But what are the extra pins for? And don't most of the connectors have fat edges so they (deliberately) won't fit into the slot thingie?
Sorry for the late reply.

Nope.. the extra pins are for more bandwidth. Check the following from Wikipedia on PCI vs PCI-X:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The theoretical maximum amount of data exchanged between the processor and peripherals with PCI-X is 1.06 GB/s, compared to 133 MB/s with standard PCI. PCI-X also improves the fault tolerance of PCI allowing, for example, faulty cards to be reinitialized or taken offline.
Digi has said that there is no real gain from running PCI-X vs PCI.. I run HD3 in PCI.. and don't really notice any slowdowns from the PCI-X machine I used to work on.
Presonus StudioLive 16 Channel Mixer
Digimax D8 8-Channel Preamp
Command 8
Vocal and Instrument Recording/Live PTHD Mixing