Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2009, 01:17 PM

Default I'm ready to dump PT8

I recently downgraded to pt8 and I'm totally sick and tired of all the errors.
I'm getting ready to upgrade to PT7 [rock solid no issues]
The fixes that Digi cam out with do not address the problems at all
Error detected with internal clock [over and over again]
glitches all over the place.

are they going to come out with a working edition>?
Old 04-06-2009, 01:20 PM

Default Re: I'm ready to dump PT8

My version of PT8 works great (or, as good as can be expected).

Not sure what you're looking for here...

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 04-06-2009, 01:34 PM

Hi Supafuzz, please be specific about your system. PT8 works all day every day for us. And that’s with clients looking over our shoulders. There is something in your system that is making PT unhappy. There are times when a problem does not show itself with one version of PT but with another, the issue shows. IF you want to resolve it (and I’m sure you can), start here and then go here. And please post a Sandra report on this thread.

Edit: I am specifically unaware of a clock issue with PT8.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-06-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkguitar View Post
My version of PT8 works great (or, as good as can be expected).

Not sure what you're looking for here...
Mine is also working fine. I'm not ignoring the fact that you are having problems on your setup. I'm just stating that the software does work on some systems but obviously not others. I'm so happy with 8.0 that I would not even consider going back to 7.x - YMMV

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 04-06-2009, 03:51 PM

+1 for PT8

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-06-2009, 04:13 PM

Congratulations to you 3 guys, I bet you all have new computers too! But I've got to agree with supafuzz, there are problems and to keep putting bandages on this old program isn't helping! Everything is working on my V8 except for a jittery mouse and delayed reactions to my controller and punch-ins. But don't want to hijack this thread, I've posted a Sandra on another thread, any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:43 PM

Until supafuzz posts a Sandra report, no one will be able to offer any ideas. Almost any problem is likely to be caused by one of 3 things, Incompatible hardware, incorrect system settings and incorrect combination of Pro Tools version and OS(not to mention outdated or cracked plugins and 3rd party stuff). The remaining small percentage may be genuine software issues but just because, your system seems whacked, does not mean that Pro Tools is at fault. There is a serious learning curve to the troubleshooting side of this(as evidenced by the fact that most folks with major issues are new or fairly new to the DUC). I'm not nagging or pointing fingers here, but you need to be aware that, with so many using the product (and many of us in commercial studios where we count on this stuff daily for income), you would be better served by seeking help and knowledge(which you ARE doing, and we want to help) vs. coming here and blaming DIGI for everything that's wrong with your system.

BTW, while I am operating a brand new (built by me) system that is working rather great, all of my systems have been solid going back 4 computers (all built by me following DUC recommendations) and all the way to PT 6.1.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:24 PM

I'm not about the digi bashing...but pt7.4 worked flawlessly and now i have nothing but problems. My recording computer is not connected to the internet so it takes a little more to test things out.
It's just really frustrating that's all..now I have to spend time dealing with this
when my computer was perfect before...
I'll get back to you all...thanks
Old 04-06-2009, 06:36 PM

I feel your pain. Did you have a backup plan? Every time I do any upgrade, I will clone my system drive before hand and swap the new clone in place of the previously used system drive(I still have my 7.4 system drive sitting on a shelf, ready to reinstall in my old machine if PT8 ever gives me fits). Yes, as you can tell, not only do I have a backup of my old 7.4, but I actually have an entire back computer right now(so if my new i7 system gives me trouble, I can hook up the old computer, albeit in a new cheapo case, and go back to work. I realize that is extreme, but cloning your system drive is extremely helpful in these situations. There are lots of drive cloning choices out there(I use Acronis True Image) and I bet you could find a freebie. Sorry if its too late for you this time, but remember it next time. Meanwhile, the tidbit you provided about 7.4 working great, suggests that you likely have some outdated plugins. If you navigate to the DAE folder, you will see 2 subfolders called Plugins and Plugins(unused). Show both of these folders on your desktop(or create a new folder on the desktop). Now go into the Plugins folder and find any 3rd party plugin files(there are 2 files for each plugin) and drag them to the other folder. Now restart Pro Tools and see if it works better. If it does not, you can drag the files back into the original folder. If it DOES work better, then you know those plugins need to be updated. As we speak, my SMACK plugin(which has not been updated) has a graphic problem where there are 2 meter needles. (although it works and sounds fine). I need to update that one one of these days. It may help us if you describe what you did when you updated to PT8(i.e. did you do a fresh install of OS or just uninstall 7.4 and install 8? Did you update Windows?....you get the idea).

Old 04-07-2009, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Until supafuzz posts a Sandra report, no one will be able to offer any ideas. Almost any problem is likely to be caused by one of 3 things, Incompatible hardware, incorrect system settings and incorrect combination of Pro Tools version and OS(not to mention outdated or cracked plugins and 3rd party stuff). The remaining small percentage may be genuine software issues but just because, your system seems whacked, does not mean that Pro Tools is at fault.
I don't use cracked software...just stuff I bought or came with PT8.
I did a sandra report but have no way to movie the results to my internet computer so I have to write it out by hand. What are the most important details?? Or do I have to copy everything??
thanks