Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2008, 09:48 AM

Default Delay Compensation error (Bug?) PT7.4

There appear to be several bugs related to Delay Compensation and RTAS Plug-ins on ProTools 7.4 (OSX 10.4.11)

1) create a new session, create a new audio track. Put a TDM plug-in in the first spot. I put Channelstrip. Delay shows at 42 samples. Now put an RTAS Plug-in in the next spot. I put BF-2A. Delay now goes to 4142 samples. If you move the TDM Plug-in after the RTAS plug-in, delay goes back to 42 samples.

Does not seem to matter what plug-ins you use. The order matters. If you put an RTAS plug after a TDM plug, your delay gets huge. This did not seem to happen in previous version ProTools 7.3. Therefore, any sessions created in 7.3 (or earlier) with a mix of TDM and RTAS plug-ins will be out of time in 7.4.

2) New track, put an RTAS delay. Load some audio onto the track. Turn on master bypass automation for the delay. Mute a section of the audio, and have the delay master bypass turn on at that same spot. (You are doing a drop where you want everything to cut off). The delay audio continues past the cutoff point so you can't do a clean drop. This does not happen with TDM plug-ins; they give clean drops.

This also did not seem to happen in PT7.3, though I need to reinstall it to check for sure. That brings up next question. Can I get rid of 7.4 and reinstall 7.3?
Old 03-11-2008, 09:59 AM

Default Re: Delay Compensation error (Bug?) PT7.4

I suggest you read the manual regarding voice usage and mixing of plugin types. PT now offers more choices in how you use plugin types but there are consequences and things to watch out for but ultimately it's a good thing.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:12 AM

I dont know about point number two...

BUt to point number 1) - Read the manual - it is VERY clear that what you do is wrong
Old 03-11-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
I suggest you read the manual regarding voice usage and mixing of plugin types. PT now offers more choices in how you use plugin types but there are consequences and things to watch out for but ultimately it's a good thing.
In understand and have read. The problem is when we are sent a session from a producer using 7.3 with RTAS plugs and everything plays in time, but when we open it, timing is all screwed up. Also, pulling up older sessions with mixed plugs will cause things to play out of time.

The maunal states "Avoid inserting TDM plug-ins between RTAS plug-ins on any kind of track—this causes unnecessary voice usage and may cause additional latency." I am not putting TDM plug-ins 'between' RTAS.

EDIT - It also states that additional latency can occur in several conditions, one of which is placing one after at TDM plug-in. I concede that. However, why is it different on the producer's 7.3 rig than on my 7.4 rig? It changes with the H/W Buffer Size setting. If it is going to make things out of sync, then this setting should be stored with the session. We need to maintain audio compatibility between PT rigs to be able to produce and mix songs on different systems.

Also, the bug in automation not cutting off on an RTAS plug-in at the correct time is not a "read the manual" type of problem.