Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 08-01-2019, 02:53 PM

Default New IMac Day

I ordered my new IMac today... For my Pro Tools 2019..

Hopefully I got it right..

27" Retina 5K Dispaly
3.6GHz 8 Core 9th Gen Intel Ci9 Processor, Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz
16 GB RAM (will upgrade with 2-32's from OWC)
Radeon Pro 580X w/ 8 GB og GDDR5 memory
2 TB SSD
Trackpad
Magic Keyboard
Logic Pro X
Accesories
Apple Care

My local Store wouldn't work with me at all. So I called 1-800-Apple Care. They were extremely helpful & knowledgeable. My Business didn't do anything as far as Discounts. But, my Military Veteran discount got me 10% off.. Expensive but at least I got 10% off.. I'm looking forward to hooking it all up!!!!

My Thanks to all of you who put up with me on my other Threads while I was exploring options.

Lars

PS I'm keeping the MBP to run PT as a second Recording Computer. I upgraded to 16 GB RAM.. It works great as is. But will upgrade to 2TB SSD in the near future..

PPSS I'm sure I'll drive you all crazy with more questions in the future.. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-02-2019, 09:38 PM

Default Re: New IMac Day

Sounds like a rockin' rig, Lars. What is your interface and how will you be backing things up?
Old 08-03-2019, 06:51 PM

Mistake spending all that and not upgrading to the magic keyboard with numeric keypad. Numeric keypad is a must for PT, it's a pain using it without IMO (like with macbooks).

Of course that will be a great system, no questions about it.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlerbri View Post
Sounds like a rockin' rig, Lars. What is your interface and how will you be backing things up?

I plan to continue using my Presonus 16.4.2.. I purchased an Apple Thunderbolt Adapter as well to connect it..

I thought, in all my rambling so about what to get, I covered everything but no thought about the numerical Keyboard...
Old 08-05-2019, 11:44 AM

Great interface, Lars. The numeric keyboard is invaluable for nudging with the plus/minus key. Nudging won't work with the non-numeric keys. You might want to upgrade that someday. Now how about backup?
Old 08-06-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlerbri View Post
Great interface, Lars. The numeric keyboard is invaluable for nudging with the plus/minus key. Nudging won't work with the non-numeric keys. You might want to upgrade that someday. Now how about backup?
That's good to know.. I do much Knudging & it is tedious..

I have multiple Glyph External Hard Drives.. Ideally I won't back up Projects on the IMac only to External Hard Drives...

I've heard Raid's are good also..
Old 08-06-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsongs View Post
That's good to know.. I do much Knudging & it is tedious..

I have multiple Glyph External Hard Drives.. Ideally I won't back up Projects on the IMac only to External Hard Drives...

I've heard Raid's are good also..
IIRC those Glyphs are spinners right? You're getting a firebreather computer and you're wasting all that speed on slow spinners. If all they are only backup drives that's not too bad though. If you're planning on doing any recording to those drives you'll be sorry.

For all you're going through buy Carbon Copy Cloner if you don't have it already and make regular clone backups of your system as it'll save you when things go south

QAPLA!
Old 08-07-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
IIRC those Glyphs are spinners right? You're getting a firebreather computer and you're wasting all that speed on slow spinners. If all they are only backup drives that's not too bad though. If you're planning on doing any recording to those drives you'll be sorry.

For all you're going through buy Carbon Copy Cloner if you don't have it already and make regular clone backups of your system as it'll save you when things go south
The Glyph Drives store all the Projects that I recorded on my MBP & PT10.. I thought they were SS. I'll double check..

The CCC is the way to go & I should do that...

What other External Hard Drives would you recommend for the new Set up?

Thanks,
Old 08-07-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsongs View Post
The Glyph Drives store all the Projects that I recorded on my MBP & PT10.. I thought they were SS. I'll double check..

The CCC is the way to go & I should do that...

What other External Hard Drives would you recommend for the new Set up?

Thanks,
For anything other than long term storage some form of SSD is the way to go. This is something you've already been told many times around here.

CCC is a must for keeping things safe for when you have problems and your system takes a dump whether due to pilot error or strange forces.

QAPLA!
Old 08-21-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
For anything other than long term storage some form of SSD is the way to go. This is something you've already been told many times around here.

CCC is a must for keeping things safe for when you have problems and your system takes a dump whether due to pilot error or strange forces.
I agree..

My External Hard Drives are fine & I can open Projects fine in my MBP on PT10... Projects aren't lost.. They weren't opening on my new Computer & PT2019..