Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 06-15-2019, 01:58 PM

Default Re: True Peak Normalization: Workflow?

https://nugenaudio.com/lm-correct
Old 06-15-2019, 02:03 PM

Also Izotope Elements should be able to do it (which Pro Tools gave away for free as a gift) within Pro Tools. Full RX7 or Ozone can.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediJoker View Post
That just doesn't sound like it will do what I want. I'm going to ping MAAT about offering DROffline MKII as a plugin for measuring loudness and peak levels of files within DAWs. Then, I could simply apply gain to match -2.0dBTP.
"Doesn't sound like" won't take you far. Did you try it?
Old 06-16-2019, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
I doubt he did. Waves has demos so it would be worth a shot. I think the OP doesn't want to consider anything other than his original workflow. We've given him some worthy ideas along with the thing of most normalization plugins make the audio sound bad. But Waves WLM will do the job he wants and I think Flux has a plugin that will do the job as well. There's so many ways to skin this cat

QAPLA!
Old 06-17-2019, 02:05 AM

Default True Peak Normalization: Workflow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
$400 and that broadcast-focused feature list are waaaaaay overkill for what I'm trying to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Also Izotope Elements should be able to do it (which Pro Tools gave away for free as a gift) within Pro Tools. Full RX7 or Ozone can.
I do have RX Elements as a loyalty reward. I'll look into that.
Quote:
I just don't think you quite understand what I'm trying to accomplish (although I thought I spelled it out). You're suggesting I gain the file up/down to where it's just kissing the -2.0dBTP threshold? Seems wonky to me. I'd rather have offline analysis without the limiter to worry about, ideally plus the ability to change gain within the same plugin.

Regardless, the workflow I used on my latest project:

1) Print audio in real time
2) Analyze printed file in real time using MAAT DRMeter MKII (multitasking while listening to print for problems)
3) Use AudioSuite Gain plugin to bring file to -2.0dBTP
4) Export to desired format(s)

It worked pretty well. Not ideal, but better than using three different programs.

27" iMac Retina 5K 4.0GHz Quad-Core i7 16GB RAM / macOS High Sierra v10.13.6 (17G14019) / RME Fireface UFX (Firmware v360/DSP v1.63/USB 2.0 Driver v3.19) / Pro Tools v12.8.3.178

Last edited by JediJoker; 06-17-2019 at 03:48 AM.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:41 AM

Quote:

I just don't think you quite understand what I'm trying to accomplish (although I thought I spelled it out). You're suggesting I gain the file up/down to where it's just kissing the -2.0dBTP threshold? Seems wonky to me. I'd rather have offline analysis without the limiter to worry about, ideally plus the ability to change gain within the same plugin.

2) Analyze printed file in real time using MAAT DRMeter MKII (multitasking while listening to print for problems)
3) Use AudioSuite Gain plugin to bring file to -2.0bBTP

It worked pretty well. Not ideal, but better than using three different programs.
Andrei is suggesting you try the program he mentioned. Did you? Have you looked at the other programs mentioned and demoe'd them? Probably not. And as far as manually changing the output levels that's part of doing good work and NOT wonky. People do it all the time.

But if you want a single program to do the job, in addition to Waves WLM take a look at Junger Audio Level Magic https://www.flux.audio/project/junge...o-level-magic/ Not cheap but then again good tools are worth the money.

You're going to have to get out of your comfort level rut and open your horizons to other/better ways of working.

QAPLA!
Old 06-17-2019, 04:02 AM

Quote:

3) Use AudioSuite Gain plugin to bring file to -2.0dBTP

Then keep using your system. What seems wonky to me is to spend days in a forum asking for a quicker way to do something you already have a solution for.
BTW, I wouldn't complain about a $400 plugin when you want a company that charges $1000 for an EQ to make a plugin that specifically matches your workflow.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Then keep using your system. What seems wonky to me is to spend days in a forum asking for a quicker way to do something you already have a solution for.
BTW, I wouldn't complain about a $400 plugin when you want a company that charges $1000 for an EQ to make a plugin that specifically matches your workflow.
You explained it perfectly my friend.

I'll tell you something - I sure wouldn't want the op to go anywheres near my work. I spend too much time on it to have someone muck it up with normalization. Manual gain ride with a light limiter; watch the metering and trust the ears.

QAPLA!
Old 06-17-2019, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
You explained it perfectly my friend.

I'll tell you something - I sure wouldn't want the op to go anywheres near my work. I spend too much time on it to have someone muck it up with normalization. Manual gain ride with a light limiter; watch the metering and trust the ears.
Or clip gain and analysis.
We've only been just trying to help here.