Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 06-17-2003, 07:32 PM

Default OT: Best Home Recording Mag. & Recording Workshop

Couple OT questions, sort of. I was thinking of subscribing to a magazine that might have decent articles on home recording, and that will keep me up-to-date on all the new musical toys [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I've read a couple like Electronic Musician, etc. They're ok. Is there any particular trade rag that you folks recommend, or is it pretty much personal taste?

My second question is regarding a School located in Chillicothe, OH. It is called the Recording Workshop, School of Audio & Music Production. They evidently use Pro Tools pretty extensively in their curiculum. It's basically about a 5-6 week crash course though. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here is familiar with the school or knows someone that is? And if so, what their experiences were? You can email me off list, if you like ([email protected]). Thanks.
Old 06-17-2003, 08:16 PM

Default Re: OT: Best Home Recording Mag. & Recording Workshop

I like to read Tape Op .
Its free too. Lots of equipment reviews, music stuff, interviews....and of course...
its free [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-17-2003, 08:30 PM

I second Tape Op, great mag, tons of great interviews, Q&A's, get a free sub from their site.

Next, Sound On Sound, best overall, imo, a US sub costs $60/year, a bit pricey but well worth it, imo. I've been reading this magazine for the past 3 years, it's priceless.
www.sound-on-sound.com

Also, Future Music, also from the UK, I buy it monthly at Virgin, it's about $12 but it's an amazing magazine, comes with a cd filled with samples, tutorials, remix competitions, etc. Haven't subscribed yet as it's quite expensive, but I can't go a month without it, I'm addicted.
www.futuremusic.co.uk
Old 06-17-2003, 09:38 PM

Personally I like Recording Magazine.

http://www.recordingmag.com/

As much as I like sound on sound it is too expensive for my blood. I cant justify the money they want for just a magazine . Especially with tons of free info on the web (especially on the DUC).
I only buy recording mag because I cant lay in bed and read a computer. Free or not sometimes it is just nice to get your info by fliping pages and looking at all the ads for gear that I really dont need but want anyways.
Not to knock SOS but no thanks. Having said that I am a proud cheapskate.
Old 06-17-2003, 10:04 PM

Tape Op, by a mile.
I subscribe to tons of magazines, and I don't look forward to ANY of them with nearly the same level of anticipation as I do a new issue of Tape Op. And it's free!

For those unfamiliar, the tape op message boards are a great place for recording discussions not focused exclusively on PT - compressors, mics, techniques.

For those who do read Tape Op - I must admit to missing the Phill Brown columns, and I'm not sold yet on the recent increase in gear reviews vs. interviews -- I often learn more from the interviews thhan the gear reviews.

My 2 cents.
Cheers,
ak
Old 06-18-2003, 07:28 AM

I'll add my recommendation for tape op as number 1. I also like Home Recording magazine, they have some good how-tos. They had a great DIY article on studio construction for basements and they sell back issues for 4 bucks or so. Some of the articles are more geared toward people getting started but I often learn something from those too.
Old 06-18-2003, 07:57 AM

Big fan of MIX mag
Old 06-18-2003, 10:45 AM

Tape op's free, so there's no reason not to get it, but I haven't really found it personally informative. Most of it's articles focus on some fairly common techniques. As for gear reviews and tips that I can really put to use, I go for Electronic Musician. Unlike Mix, EM's articles usually don't contain a bias for their advertisers, as a matter of fact, they often leave the well known mics and gear out of comparison tests so that there isn't even a chance of bias. It was the blind test of several small diaphragm mics that convinced a lot of us to try out the "el cheapo" oktava's, and I promise, the mics lived up to the review given it by EM. But, You don't need to subscribe, they publish all the articles on their website, and I think Mix does also.
Old 06-22-2003, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Cavell:
Tape op's free, so there's no reason not to get it, but I haven't really found it personally informative. Most of it's articles focus on some fairly common techniques. As for gear reviews and tips that I can really put to use, I go for Electronic Musician. Unlike Mix, EM's articles usually don't contain a bias for their advertisers, as a matter of fact, they often leave the well known mics and gear out of comparison tests so that there isn't even a chance of bias. It was the blind test of several small diaphragm mics that convinced a lot of us to try out the "el cheapo" oktava's, and I promise, the mics lived up to the review given it by EM. But, You don't need to subscribe, they publish all the articles on their website, and I think Mix does also.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll check out Tape Op, and I forgot that EM publishs their articles on the web. I'll probably go that route for awhile.
Old 06-22-2003, 06:22 PM

I subscribe to Recording magazine; it's great for new equipment reviews/music industry advice/recording tecniques