Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2015, 12:40 PM

Default Re: PT12 has less Instrument Tracks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I can load 64 instances of kontakt with alecias keys (not sure why but this one is very CPU efficient) and arm ALL OF THEM and play. Actually no other DAW I have tried can distribute that load across all cores as well as PT11 for the same buffer setting. Logic chokes out after only a handful of tracks. Running an 5960x @ 4.4 hack here.

The actual engine of PT11 is great for VI's except that VI's never got the dual buffer. Really hoping they do that in 12, I guess freeze will suffice if not though.

Anyway hopefully this is a typo...
I'm talking real world use. Meaning not 64 instances of the same plugin with the same samples loaded. PT 11 is a big step forward for Vi use but it's still not where it should be in 2015 IMO. The dual buffer being implemented with Vi's would help for sure. I've been able to run 50+ Vi's (along with multiple effects and audio tracks) in Logic for years now, on computers that are not near as fast as what you have. That's partly due to Logic's use of dual buffers with VI's. You are right that Logic can choke easily with multiple VI's all record enabled at the same time, because it forces them to all use the same core while they are record enabled. For the record I don't have any issues with how PT 11 (or PT 10) handles audio plugins.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankin View Post
Has anybody ever been able to get 64 VI's going at once in any version of PT much less 128? I would have to see it in person to believe it.....
When I'm composing my orchestral scores, using the technique I covered in my earlier post I often get over 100 tracks, sometimes filling the 128 limit.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adgjk View Post
When I'm composing my orchestral scores, using the technique I covered in my earlier post I often get over 100 tracks, sometimes filling the 128 limit.
Hosting them in VEPRO or in PT?
Old 01-23-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankin View Post
Hosting them in VEPRO or in PT?
Hosting in VEP. Kontakt and other synths within that.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:27 PM

In case it is not clear, yes, an Instrument track does not need a plug in instantiated on it to function. An instrument track is simply a combo of a MIDI track and an Auxiliary. It can have a MIDI destination independent of it's IO. They are great when doing multi-timbral multi output setups with Kontakt or VEP.

Now if Avid would only fix the import session data of multi out VI's bug...
Old 01-23-2015, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adgjk View Post
No, sorry. I'll still use 16 instrument tracks, but I have no need to use MIDI and Aux tracks. This just seems like the easiest way to me. It's like an audio track, everything gets its own fader and channel strip, without doubling up MIDI and Auxes.

The way that I've seen a lot of people use PT is to add 1 instrument track, to host say Kontakt, and then they'll add a further 15 MIDI tracks and 15 Aux tracks. Channel 1 is on the instrument track and then 2-16 are on the MIDI tracks, with the audio coming out of the Aux tracks...... I don't like this way, it seems messy to me.
There is no need to use 16 Instrument tracks if you're hosting 16 instruments in one instance of Kontakt. As a matter of fact that's the wrong way to do it. One Instrument track to host Kontakt and one MIDI channel and 15 MIDI tracks routed to each instrument in that one instance of Kontakt. That's the normal way of doing things.

edit:
Didn't read all the way through the thread before responding so ignore what I wrote to a certain extent. Still there's no need to use a bunch of Instrument tracks when MIDI tracks will do just fine.

QAPLA!
Old 01-23-2015, 05:49 PM

There is no wrong way to eat a Reece's
Old 01-23-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthurley View Post
There is no wrong way to eat a Reece's
And this means what to this thread pray tell?

QAPLA!
Old 01-23-2015, 06:10 PM

I guess what Avid hasn't sufficiently made clear is that the new support plan subscription includes all future DOWNGRADES and feature removals also.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 01-24-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
And this means what to this thread pray tell?
Meaning your way is just one way to approach it, it doesn't mean any other way is wrong. The way your post came across to me was "stop bitching cause your doing it wrong, just do it this way" Which uses about the same track count anyway. So your educated post on how we all should be setting up our instrument and Midi tracks on our projects is null

Removing track counts is ridiculous though