Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2018, 08:33 AM

Default Apply automation to two parameters?

Is it possible to take an automation lane that you've drawn in and apply it to two parameters at once?

The application is this: re-"amping" soft instrument midi synth data through my moog slim phatty. I've automated my filter sweeps, but the CC for the filter cutoff frequency is actually two bytes wide, each ranging from 0-127. (They give you this option with both MSB and LSB for really fine filter sweeps I suppose, although the LSB on it's own is really subtle.)

I could just copy paste into a second automation lane, but it'd be more convenient to just apply the automation I've already drawn to both the MSB and LSB simultaneously.

THanks

www.merlotembargo.com
Old 04-20-2018, 08:58 AM

Default Re: Apply automation to two parameters?

You can copy it from one lane and paste it into another with Paste Special/To Current Automation Type. But writing to both at once? Only by using two sources, AFAIK. E.g., a MIDI keyboard that has programmable faders or knobs could have a pair of controllers set to the MSB and LSB, and you could record them both in at once.

But if the MSB is coarse and LSB is fine, shouldn't down-sweep automation go LSB 127-0 while MSB stays at 127, then LSB 127-0 while MSB stays at 126, etc.? A slow MSB slope with a sawtooth LSB?

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 04-23-2018, 06:45 AM

Default Re: Apply automation to two parameters?

Thanks daeron -

I think you're right about the cycling though. For a full sweep, LSB should go through 128 "teeth" for every one on the MSB... whoops that sounds a lot harder to write!

www.merlotembargo.com