Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 12-31-2015, 09:30 AM

Default Can You Use PTC w/o Internet Connection?

Hi All,

PT 11.3.1, WIN 7, 24GB memory.

Downloaded latest Eucon 3.3.2 and set up PTC (v1.0.4) on iPad Mini 4.

Using (very) old Netgear "g" 2.4ghz, 54 mbps router.

iPad is @3 feet away from the router's antenna.

Basic transport controls, faders, mutes, solos, etc., are working (albeit a few glitches here and there which require more testing/hacking).

But here's the question - can I use PTC without my computer being connected to the internet?

I'm not a networking maven, but I have my cable modem's ethernet "out" connected into the internet "in" port on the back of my router.

Then from one of the router's (4) local ethernet ports, connect to the ethernet "in" port on the back of my computer.

Then of course, use wi-fi to connect the iPad to the router/computer.

But if I disconnect my computer from the internet by disabling my Local Area Network connection (on the computer), I also lose connectivity between my iPad and the router.

I don't like being connected to the internet while using ProTools (especially when I'm tracking) as I like to disable my Anti-Virus and firewall, etc. to minimize conflicts and unexpected popups.

So...
Is there a way to configure my setup so that even if my computer is not connected to the internet, my router will still put out a wireless signal so that the iPad can connect (wirelessly) to my computer and I can use PTC when I'm tracking?

Thanks,
Danny V.
Old 12-31-2015, 04:18 PM

Default Re: Can You Use PTC w/o Internet Connection?

you could just unplug the Modem - Router Cable .. also: 5ghz works much better for PTC ..

i have been asking how we can HardWire an iPad for use with PTC .. i think it takes a Lightning to USB then USB to Ethernet ..

when i get a USB to Ethernet I will test that out ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by danevaz View Post
Hi All,

PT 11.3.1, WIN 7, 24GB memory.

Downloaded latest Eucon 3.3.2 and set up PTC (v1.0.4) on iPad Mini 4.

Using (very) old Netgear "g" 2.4ghz, 54 mbps router.

iPad is @3 feet away from the router's antenna.

Basic transport controls, faders, mutes, solos, etc., are working (albeit a few glitches here and there which require more testing/hacking).

But here's the question - can I use PTC without my computer being connected to the internet?

I'm not a networking maven, but I have my cable modem's ethernet "out" connected into the internet "in" port on the back of my router.

Then from one of the router's (4) local ethernet ports, connect to the ethernet "in" port on the back of my computer.

Then of course, use wi-fi to connect the iPad to the router/computer.

But if I disconnect my computer from the internet by disabling my Local Area Network connection (on the computer), I also lose connectivity between my iPad and the router.

I don't like being connected to the internet while using ProTools (especially when I'm tracking) as I like to disable my Anti-Virus and firewall, etc. to minimize conflicts and unexpected popups.

So...
Is there a way to configure my setup so that even if my computer is not connected to the internet, my router will still put out a wireless signal so that the iPad can connect (wirelessly) to my computer and I can use PTC when I'm tracking?

Thanks,
Danny V.

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 01-01-2016, 08:20 PM

Yes, after some trial and error I figured that out.

Once everything was setup properly I just disconnected the WAN ethernet cable from the cable modem.

Computer is offline, but the iPad can still connect wirelessly to computer.

Danny V.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:37 AM

right on ... happy Controlling

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 03-31-2018, 01:33 PM

Trying to achieve the same issue but not getting the results. Could you please elaborate your steps
Old 04-06-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philharmonic7 View Post
Trying to achieve the same issue but not getting the results. Could you please elaborate your steps
There's not much to elaborate on here. Connect the computer to a wifi router(NOT to the yellow connector). Use a mid-level or better dual band 5GHz model and log onto that network with your iPad. Install Eucon software and it should recognize your iPad. Open Pro Tools>Setup>Peripherals menu and find the tab with "Enable Eucon" and check the box You probably could also find some helpful tutorials on youtube.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave