Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 08-25-2002, 06:27 AM

Default Digidesign = Apple (not a platform war)

This thread is not a platform war. So if that’s is what your looking for please move along.

Alright, so a “long” time ago this guy named Steve starts a hard/software company. His intent is to be the best. He has original ideas and develops a slick well-built product. Shortly after, this other guy Bill pretty much copies Steve’s software (not very well I might ad) and jumps into the game with the intent of competing. There is a fundamental difference though between the two. Steve builds hardware to go with his software and Bill does not. Steve thinks it is important for people to write software for his hardware because he believes his hardware is the best. Bill only writes software for hardware that can be built by anyone. He believes that it is better to be good and affordable rather than being the best and expensive. It goes even further though. Steve’s ideas and products remain proprietary while Bill licenses his ideas and products to whoever wants to develop other compatible products.

This is where things get interesting. Crème will undoubtedly rise to the top.

Steve’s products did very well. Everyone recognized that Steve had made the best product and anyone who was looking for quality chose Steve and his companies’ products without thinking of the price. On the other hand many people could not afford Steve’s products and did not need a product so robust for their small tasks. This is where Bill came in. His software did similar things that Steve’s software did, but on hardware that was much cheaper. Yes it wasn’t as well thought out, and it wasn’t as fast, and it definitely wasn’t as pretty, but it was affordable. The bottom line was that Bill’s product got the job done for much less. As time went by more and more people started using Bill’s product. As more and more people started using these inferior products people started developing ways to make these inferior products better. It took a long time but eventually the line between using Steve’s great product and Bill’s not so great product began to blur. Bill had built an army whose only battle was to make the best software in the world using his technology. This army knew that as their numbers grew so would the quality of the products that they used.

Ultimately Steve stands behind the notion that his products are the best. He continues to build lightning fast machinery and flawlessly executed software to go along with it. Unfortunately his proprietary for the sake of proprietary, and uniform standards are becoming the death of him. How can you continue being the best when more than half the world is out to be better than you? More people everyday are realizing that you don’t need Steve’s products to get the job done and get it done quickly. In some cases they are realizing there are things Steve’s products don’t do that Bill’s do.

We haven’t seen the end of this story yet, but I’m sure you can see where it is going.

There is a lesson in there somewhere if you read it closely enough. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

38, 39 what ever it takes.
Old 08-25-2002, 09:23 AM

Default Re: Digidesign = Apple (not a platform war)

So what you are saying is that Steve gave up and started a franchise called McDonalds? And he named his best sandwich after his favorite computer?
Allen [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2002, 09:29 AM

BINGO! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

38, 39 what ever it takes.
Old 08-25-2002, 10:36 AM

I'm a Mac user and I still like that one.

L-Fire
[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-26-2002, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Allen Hallada:
So what you are saying is that Steve gave up and started a franchise called McDonalds? And he named his best sandwich after his favorite computer?
Allen [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">no, allen, mcdonalds was around long before our hero. our hero named his product after his favorite sandwich because its always tasty and he thought it offered a good value. the sandwich still offers good value...
Old 08-26-2002, 05:10 AM

Your story is full of "mistakes".

1. Steve himself COPIED most of the concepts.
Mouse,GUI and those cool stuff "Bill" copied later was actually XEROX ideas.

2. "Bill" didn't produce software for "ANY" hardware. they've started outsourcing the major PC OS (DOS purchased from another company) for IBM.
After a few years Microsoft started designing Windows while IBM decided to stick with developing their own OS/2.

About the Digi=Apple.
Yep Digi=Apple in the H/W+S/W concept.
How much is this the right way?
Time will tell [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] .
Old 08-26-2002, 05:42 AM

[QUOTE]

About the Digi=Apple.
Yep Digi=Apple in the H/W+S/W concept.

Yep that definitely sounds proprietary to me. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-26-2002, 07:28 AM

A few of use drive Ferraris, while most of us drive Toyota, Honda, Ford or Chevy's...

A few of us have granite counter tops in our kitchens, while most of us cut our vegatables on Corian, tile or formica...

A few of us wear Egyptian cotton dress shirts, while most of us wear cotton/polyester mix...

A few of have wives and girlfriends that rival Victoria's Secret, while most of us have great size 8 women who make wonderful moms...

One thing I'm pretty sure of is that the folks who drive Ferraris, and recline their VS super models on their granite counter tops while gently carressing the crisp edge of their fancy dress shirts probably only have the latest Steve computer in their offices and studios, while the rest of us do what we can to get by with a little help from Bill... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

With high ambitions, low budget, and best regards,

Mark
Old 08-26-2002, 08:49 AM

well i run PTLE on a pc as my fallback and i don't got no budget. mix|3 runs on a mac and that's never gonna change.
Old 08-26-2002, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark_Knecht:
A few of use drive Ferraris, while most of us drive Toyota, Honda, Ford or Chevy's...

A few of us have granite counter tops in our kitchens, while most of us cut our vegatables on Corian, tile or formica...

A few of us wear Egyptian cotton dress shirts, while most of us wear cotton/polyester mix...

A few of have wives and girlfriends that rival Victoria's Secret, while most of us have great size 8 women who make wonderful moms...

One thing I'm pretty sure of is that the folks who drive Ferraris, and recline their VS super models on their granite counter tops while gently carressing the crisp edge of their fancy dress shirts probably only have the latest Steve computer in their offices and studios, while the rest of us do what we can to get by with a little help from Bill... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

With high ambitions, low budget, and best regards,

Mark
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">LOL!!! Great post Mark LOL!!! I particularly liked the "while most of us have great size 8 women who make wonderful moms..." That's beautiful Mark [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] it gets me all tender inside.
ehemm...BUT OF COURSE, that goes for all of you out there with size 8 women, I FOR ONE have a size six....-teen? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

P.S.: Just kidding she's really a 6 [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]