Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2010, 11:33 AM

Default Re: Input monitoring

If I understand correctly, I think Focusrite is all over this with a new RTAS solution(at least for their hardware).
http://www.focusrite.com/us/protools9

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-15-2010, 05:29 AM

Thumbs down Re: Input monitoring

agree here, PT9 has come a long way but still missed the mark by not including ASIO direct monitoring, probably doesn't have ASIO positioning Protocol either.

nuendo/cubase/logic and others have had direct monitoring for many years, then again, they have also had ADC, unlimited tracks, asio/3rd party hardware and fast bouncing for years too. even Logic back when it was on windows had it!!

PT9 is a step in the right direction, just a few more steps needed.

missing the direct monitoring is turning into a show stopper with many I know.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcal View Post
agree here, PT9 has come a long way but still missed the mark by not including ASIO direct monitoring, probably doesn't have ASIO positioning Protocol either.

nuendo/cubase/logic and others have had direct monitoring for many years, then again, they have also had ADC, unlimited tracks, asio/3rd party hardware and fast bouncing for years too. even Logic back when it was on windows had it!!

PT9 is a step in the right direction, just a few more steps needed.

missing the direct monitoring is turning into a show stopper with many I know.
Let's face it, it doesn't matter what they do or don't do...there are always going to be "I don't care for Pro Tools" peoples.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acmost View Post
Let's face it, it doesn't matter what they do or don't do...there are always going to be "I don't care for Pro Tools" peoples.
I own a few PT systems, so I care enough thanks!
Old 11-15-2010, 05:57 AM

I'm not saying you...I know many Nuendo guys & they will never budge no matter what PT comes up with. There's a dividing line for sure.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:30 AM

Then good for them...

It's good to have competition products. In the end, it's good for the products themselves.

It's good to know what other systems do offer, what is "possible", what what would be great to also implement if PT doesn't have it yet... and then request it. AVID has a special website for that, and they seem to be very attentive to customers... now :)

But if PT doesn't have certain feature(s) and you can't live without, just move on and wait until it will have it/them.

I have been a Cubase user even before Cubase 1.0 (with Pro24 on Atari), I personally know Charlie Steinberg.... and it didn't stop me to move out of Cubase around version 4. I couldn't use it anymore, even thought it has been my favorite DAW for decades.

I am a very happy PT9 user today. I do think there's still some tiny missing things here and there (I wrote it on a thread lately and even report it on IdeaScale, but I can clearly live without so far... I would just live even better when they will be there... that's it!

As we say here: Stop whining, start playing...

Phil
Old 11-15-2010, 10:36 AM

Prsonally, I never use "Asio Direct Monitoring" but I always (and always have) used either an external mixer or now RME Totalmix to monitor with (virtually) no latency, all "live" inputs. It puts no strain on the computer trying to run at low latencies and is a totally eloquent and powerfull way to send multiple independant cue mixes to studio and talent. IMHO, the old "tape" style of monitoring (switching from playback to record (live) when record is pressed) is atiquated and not that useful or productive, not to mention limiting cue mix wise.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:19 PM

In the thread above the last post (at the time of this writing) suggested to Un-Link the record and play faders in the Record section of the Operation Preferences. Set the play fader to desired setting and set the red record fader to no gain (off). Seems like a resonable workaround since you are monitoring through harware(virtual or not). Has anyone tested this work around? My assumption is the record fader is for monitoring and would not affect the level going to disk? I wish I was in front of my rig to test this...
Old 11-15-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatpete View Post
Prsonally, I never use "Asio Direct Monitoring" but I always (and always have) used either an external mixer or now RME Totalmix to monitor with (virtually) no latency
Actually you do, it is because of ASIO direct monitoring that allows you to do exactly this.

Turning software monitoring off (ie thorugh the software), means turning ASIO direct monitoring on (this is what you are doing).

the "direct" part of the name means direct from the hardware ie soundcard DSP mixer such as RME total mix, Motu Cue Mix, soundscape (now SSL) mixer and so on.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcal View Post
Actually you do, it is because of ASIO direct monitoring that allows you to do exactly this.

Turning software monitoring off (ie thorugh the software), means turning ASIO direct monitoring on (this is what you are doing).

the "direct" part of the name means direct from the hardware ie soundcard DSP mixer such as RME total mix, Motu Cue Mix, soundscape (now SSL) mixer and so on.
I beg to differ.
Asio direct monitoring allows you to control your sound card's monitoring from your DAW but you're still using the DAW to control your monitoring. With Asio Direct Monitor OFF AND Input Monitor off ,only then are you monitoring DIRECTLY from your hardware (using your hardware's independant mixing/routing etc.) with no latency (no matter what buffer you're at).