Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2010, 04:43 PM

Default Input monitoring

My god. Finaly Avid did it.... I was so excited about the PT 9 release, but then.... I just found out its not possible to disable input monitoring when using 3'rd party hardware... Then the whole idea with for example total mix, in rme fireface, is just useless... I know i can mute a track while recording and other "in the middle" solutions, but i think this is it for me... Always an issue with pro tools that makes it irritating... Whyyyyy whyyyy whyyyyy..... Please make an update, so this BIIIIIG problem goes away....
Old 11-09-2010, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Input monitoring

Totally with you!
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=285447
Old 11-09-2010, 05:06 PM

I'm confused.. surely your 3rd party hardware supports a professional workflow... like Input Switching... ???

Pro Tools is designed to work like a professional tape deck and switches to Input on Stop and Record and you should monitor through your record chain...

Surely you can drop your latency down to 64 samples and your complete round trip should be no more than 2msec

What hardware are you using and what's the lowest latency spec? What you're asking for is a kludge to be programmed to deal with limited hardware.... kind of like LLM

Have you tried unlinking the Record and Playback fader option?

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 11-10-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Jon Rogut View Post
I'm confused.. surely your 3rd party hardware supports a professional workflow... like Input Switching... ???

Pro Tools is designed to work like a professional tape deck and switches to Input on Stop and Record and you should monitor through your record chain...

Surely you can drop your latency down to 64 samples and your complete round trip should be no more than 2msec

What hardware are you using and what's the lowest latency spec? What you're asking for is a kludge to be programmed to deal with limited hardware.... kind of like LLM

Rail
I would just like to be able to switch of software monitoring so i can use the external DSP mixer in my fireface UFX. You can do this in logic and other DAW's. This gives me zero latency monitoring. Round trip with 64 samples gives me 4-6 msec latnecy and is acceptable for some situations, but surely not for vocals and other stuff. Maybe youre right about input switching or another workaround, but im new to this world. Im use to work in a big studio with HD3 and an ssl console, and its hooked up for me
Now im just trying to build my own budget studio and this was my first obstracle
Old 11-10-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Jon Rogut View Post

Rail
kludge, WTF? Any other pro DAW lets you turn off input monitoring so you can use external monitoring via a console or a software console (like, RME Totalmix, MOTU Cuemix, the list goes on and on). I'm sorry if this is hard to understand for a HD user but it's standard fare everywhere except Pro Tools.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:52 PM

Agreed. We need this!
Old 11-10-2010, 11:15 PM

Someone mentioned it might be possible to create a plugin in that would mute the track during record, but allow it to playback otherwise. One would probably have to manually select them on a channel by channel basis, but it sounds doable.

Perhaps one of the smaller plugin companys will jump on it. Heck RME should do it, it would probably help sales of anything they sell that has DSP monitoring.

That said Avid has done some major rethinking lately in a good way, so perhaps the first big PT9 update might come with a surprise. That said, perhaps they still need some way to make darn sure HD still wins for low latency monitoring.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:29 AM

I agree that this should be there, but I have never had a client complain about latency with a 64-sample buffer. Ever.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com