Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 12-01-2008, 03:54 PM

Default Recording Electric Drums via MIDI

Hi Everyone this is my first post so please bear with me. I have a Yamaha DTXPress iii electric drum set that I have been using to record my drum tracks and they never come out good because they're all on one track. So recently I went out and bought an M-Audio USB Uno 1x1 Midi Interface because my Mbox doesn't have Midi. Anyways what I'm trying to do is record my drums via Midi and then send each drum to seperate tracks as if I was recording an acoustic drum set with seperate mics for each drum. I have Structure to use as an virtual instrument, but I honestly have no idea what I'm doing. Any other thing I would be fine but this is my first time using Midi. I need a step by step from begining to end. Please someone help me out. I would greatly appreciate it. Thank You.

-Nick Peppers
Old 12-01-2008, 04:26 PM

Default Re: Recording Electric Drums via MIDI

Hey man!
I may have a solution for you!
Correct me if I'm wrong, you record your Drum via MIDI and only one track is created.You want to have separate tracks for each part of the drum.Right?
So each part of the drum kit is represented by one note (e.i D4 for the Kick drum, E4 for the Snare...so on!)Notes are random here.

I've never done it before but it should work fine.

1. Duplicate your MIDI track as many times as the number of Drum kit element you have
For example, Kick, Snare, HH, Tom1, Tom2, Tom3, Crash1, Ride will give 8 tracks.

2. Rename each track

3. One the first track (let's say Kick D track) click on the vertical keyboard on the note assigned to the Snare (no it's not a mistake!), then all the Snare notes will be highlighted, Delete.So on for the HH, Toms,Cymbs...then only the Kick drum will remain on your track.

4. Use the same procedure on the other tracks.

Hope it helps Nick.

Dorian
DIY Intel Core 2 Quad, P5B Premium,DDR2 6GB, Win 7 Ultimate.
PTLE 8.0.4
002R Unit and MBox Mini
SSL XLogic Alpha Channel.
SPL Goldmike valve Preamp.
DBX Analog Compressors, Gate and Eq.
Monster Cables
Home made & Neutrik Patchbay.
Brauner, Shure, Seinnheiser and T.Bone mikes.
Tannoy 8D Active monitors.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:35 PM

In Pro Tools create as many midi channels as you need from the track menu. and one stereo aux input track.

Insert Structure on the stereo aux input track

In the Mix window on the input of each midi track, change it from ALL, to USB Uno port 1 channel 1 for kick, USB uno port 1 channel 2 for snare for Midi track #2, etc. This way each midi track only receives that one specific channel.

And for the output of each midi track tell it to go to the sample you want to hear. So I'd name midi channel 1 Kick, its input is USB uno port 1 and going out to structure port A channel 1 which has your kick sample on it.

The rest depend on you going into brain module on your drum kit and changing each kit piece to the specific midi channel matching the sample is that you wish to trigger in Structure.

Does that make sense?

Old 12-01-2008, 06:05 PM

If it were me, I'd just record the performance (I take it you're playing a live performance using pads) to the one MIDI track, then use the "explode track" (if that's what it's called, maybe split track, I can't quite remember right now) by notes function, which will automatically create a new MIDI track for each note played i.e. one for the kick, one for the snare etc (remember to then mute your original track).

Then you just assign the output of each MIDI channel to your drum module or modules depending on multi-timbrality.

Hope that makes sense.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:37 PM

Lots of ideas here and I will toss you one more. Get ezdrummer with the Nasville expansion pack. Record the midi to a stereo instrument track with ezdrummer inserted. The mixer in ezdrummer allows you to send out up to 8 stereo feeds so; what I do is leave the kick assigned to Track 1(in the ezdrummer mixer window), assing the snare top and bottom to Track 2, hat to Track 3, all toms to Track 4, etc..... Now create as many stereo aux tracks as you need and set their inputs to the ezdrummer Tracks. Now you can treat it as though you recorded the kit with several mics to several tracks without actually using a single audio track(and you can insert plugins to your heart's content). You can take this another notch up by using real cymbals and hat with 3 mics to audio tracks. That's my setup using a Roland kit and it sounds killer(and most drummers are happy to play it once they hear what it sounds like).

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave