Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 05-13-2003, 07:13 PM

Default Re: stereo dialogue?

DON'T DO STEREO DIALOG! Do a stereo mix of your piece, but mix your dialog up the center from mono sources.

Stereo-izing mono dialogue tracks will just make them sound like **** when they're summed back to mono.

Dan Roth
Otitis Media
Audio - Video - Film
Old 05-13-2003, 10:54 PM

Dan,

What about a situation where you needed to add some light reverb to a dialog track? Would you only use the mono version of the plugin instead of the stereo version for the reason you described?

Rupert
Old 05-14-2003, 08:20 AM

Just my 2¢... I certainly use mono dialog sources, but I don't keep my dialog in strictly the center channel. I do use a narrower field in most cases.

I just finished a short movie with two talking fish. The underwater processing involved a low-pass and delay routed to the surrounds which works well when mixed in with all the underwater ambience. When the fish are talking off camera, they are panned beyond 30% left or right. This is definitely a small screen movie.
Old 05-14-2003, 10:54 AM

1)you can pan dialog left and right and all around the surrounds...but...I'd only do it with ADR'd lines that don't have any production sound tied to them.
2)Certainly you can add reverb or delay or anything you want, I often add reverb to voices to put them in a particular space or as a special effect, especially to dialog that was radio miked and is way too dry. I'd use the stereo version of the plug in but watch your panning of the output, too wide versus too narrow
3)Keep in mind that on a lot of location tracks for films you'll get "stereo" dialog..this usually means the boom mike on one track and the radio mike(s)on the other, how to work with them is another topic but it doesn't mean they're meant to be panned left and right
Old 05-14-2003, 10:57 AM

1)you can pan dialog left and right and all around the surrounds...but...I'd only do it with ADR'd lines that don't have any production sound tied to them.
2)Certainly you can add reverb or delay or anything you want, I often add reverb to voices to put them in a particular space or as a special effect, especially to dialog that was radio miked and is way too dry. I'd use the stereo version of the plug in but watch your panning of the output, too wide versus too narrow
3)Keep in mind that on a lot of location tracks for films you'll get "stereo" dialog..this usually means the boom mike on one track and the radio mike(s)on the other, how to work with them is another topic but it doesn't mean they're meant to be panned left and right
Old 09-05-2003, 11:45 AM

You are exactly right...many people forget that if you use a stereo effects device or reverb unit, you don't have to use it in stereo mode. Often for matching ADR to production dialog, you need to add some small room reverb to the ADR, and in this case the reverb should definitely be mono since the production was mono! (If you premix or predub your dialog/ADR, it's nice to keep the reverb on its own separate track so that in the final you can make adjustments to the amount of reverb.) Finally, IMHO, panning the dialog to match the location of actors on the screen or to match perspective when the camera angle changes is just distracting to the audience. Yet, I see this being done more and more in films. I say use stereo in the dialog tracks when you want something to really jump out, like in a dream or fantasy sequence, etc. Then of course anything goes, and there's no reason not to use every speaker in the room.

Peter