Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-21-2007, 10:17 AM

Default Volume automation dead on one track only

I've encountered this once years ago and forgot what the solution was...suddenly one track acts as if I've disabled volume automation, although I have not. I can draw volume graphs, but they have no effect, nor does moving the fader in write mode. Again, it's only one track that does not read or write, all the others are as per normal. The fader is NOT in safe mode. anyone?

cheers,

Peter
Old 01-21-2007, 10:33 AM

Default Re: Volume automation dead on one track only

hello,

I suspect you've accidentally done something that I've been trying to figure out how to do... namely disable automation on a specific track. When you are in 'small' view, the little arrow under the track name that brings up the 'view volume, view waveform' etc button goes gray when automation is dissabled. To do this you have to option click (or shift option click - one or the other!). To undo it, ie switch automation back on, repeat the procedure....

There's a thread further down the list, started by me, called 'taking automation out of 'do to all'' here where some very helpful people have explained it better than me!

I hope that helps,

Matthew
Old 01-26-2007, 03:28 PM

Thanks for the help. Turns out the tracks in the edit window have to be in medium size before the control-command click works on the automation selector button (PT 6.4.1). Not sure I would ever have a need to defeat the volume automation on a single track (why not just put that channel in automation OFF mode?) but it sure is a pain when you can't remember how to re-activate it!

Peter
Old 01-27-2007, 02:55 AM

glad it worked! You are right - the whole disabling automation is a bit ugly and inconsistent... it would be much better if it were more obvious. I've mentioned it elsewhere, but I think you should be able to option click on the 'automation mode' selector, which would grey out and permanently disable any sort of automation options on that track, including taking it out of the 'do to all' functionality. Maybe something for 7.4?

Mat