Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 06-01-2008, 11:58 AM

Default Recording track count on M-Powered?

Hi all

My ProTools teacher says that ProTools M-Powered only supports 8 simultaneous recording tracks, is this true, I don't think it is but I use LE so I can't make the test myself.

I suppose that as with LE, with M-Powered I should be able to record even 32 tracks at once. or 16 with the project mix pre's and ADAT expansion. Tell me please if I'm right.

Thanks
Old 06-01-2008, 02:28 PM

Default Re: Recording track count on M-Powered?

I think 18 I/O channels 32 mono tracks maximum provided your audio interface & system can handle them.

If You mean simply one track per Input channel, then 18.

Limitation for recording/playback track count itself is 32 mono(48 Stereo with Music Production Kit).

Maybe your teacher meant maximum of 8 with the particular audio interface he/she used in the class?
Old 06-02-2008, 09:31 AM

Yeah, either the teacher needs to brush up on Pro Tools or you misunderstood what they said.

I can record on all 32 tracks simultaneously in M-Powered. There's no limit other than your computer power or of course the interface you're using. But, fundamentally, you can sit down at any M-Powered system, create 32 mono audio tracks, arm them all, and start recording.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixChurchStreet View Post
Yeah, either the teacher needs to brush up on Pro Tools or you misunderstood what they said.

I can record on all 32 tracks simultaneously in M-Powered. There's no limit other than your computer power or of course the interface you're using. But, fundamentally, you can sit down at any M-Powered system, create 32 mono audio tracks, arm them all, and start recording.

Is this true in PTMP 8? I don't see how sixchurchstreet does it with a 410, but the limit for PTMP 7.x is 18 max i/o. I would love to know if version 8 has increased this. Anyone know?
Old 02-26-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2DuBot View Post
Is this true in PTMP 8? I don't see how sixchurchstreet does it with a 410, but the limit for PTMP 7.x is 18 max i/o. I would love to know if version 8 has increased this. Anyone know?
You can record all tracks but no use, as you can only select 18 inputs. Same as you can playback all tracks but can only select 18 out's.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:22 PM

My understanding is that only 18 SIMULTANEOUS recorded tracks is possible above PT 7.1.

PT 7.0 supposedly had a glitch that allowed almost unlimited simultaneous recording with certain interfaces.

I KNOW that the Delta 10/10 rack series was one of these. I believe the light bridge or another of the firewire interfaces was another.

But... with the Delta series each 8 in/ out interface takes a pci slot. Needless to say 24 ins requires 3 pci slots on the motherboard and so on... So you would need a MB with many pci slots.

I have never tested this but MANY threads and blogs were dedicated to this "glitch" or program flaw.

Im almost positive this glitch was "fixed" in PT 7.1.

I have never upgraded from 7.0 in case I ever wanted to use this glitch, but... After 4 years I have never really had the need to record more than 16 tracks at once anyway.

Sorry if this is wrong but.. I'm pretty confident this is the way it is.

Best wishes.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:16 AM

Thanks for the replies. My curiosity stems from the new maudio interface, the 2626, that has 26 in/out. If protools 8 only allows 18 i/o at once, then that combination is pretty useless. I do on location recording, so 26 ins would be sweet...

Does anyone know the i/o spec for ptmp 8?
Old 02-27-2009, 07:31 AM

You can use Reaper when you need to record more than 18 inputs and then import the files into PT faster than I can type this.

The only time it's a limitation is when you want to overdub more than 18 inputs which is pretty unusual.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
You can use Reaper when you need to record more than 18 inputs and then import the files into PT faster than I can type this.

The only time it's a limitation is when you want to overdub more than 18 inputs which is pretty unusual.
Yikes. I'ts painful that this is true (import in from any other app).
There's just no need for this I'm afraid. I really would hope this changes.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgirr View Post
My understanding is that only 18 SIMULTANEOUS recorded tracks is possible above PT 7.1.

PT 7.0 supposedly had a glitch that allowed almost unlimited simultaneous recording with certain interfaces.

I KNOW that the Delta 10/10 rack series was one of these. I believe the light bridge or another of the firewire interfaces was another.

But... with the Delta series each 8 in/ out interface takes a pci slot. Needless to say 24 ins requires 3 pci slots on the motherboard and so on... So you would need a MB with many pci slots.

I have never tested this but MANY threads and blogs were dedicated to this "glitch" or program flaw.

Im almost positive this glitch was "fixed" in PT 7.1.

I have never upgraded from 7.0 in case I ever wanted to use this glitch, but... After 4 years I have never really had the need to record more than 16 tracks at once anyway.

Sorry if this is wrong but.. I'm pretty confident this is the way it is.

Best wishes.
You cannot simply combine additional interfaces for more I/O......
At PlethoraTone:
Mac Mini M1, Avid Carbon,
PSP, Waves Mercury, UAD, Kush, Slate Digital,
PA, Melodyne, Antares, Audioease, SoundToys