Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2013, 11:07 AM

Default Re: Conumdrum: New Mac Pro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jauk View Post
Hey feliponk- What are your current system's specs?

Kind regards
Hey Jauk: I'm the process of build the CustoMac Pro, take a look here http://www.tonymacx86.com/398-buildi...mber-2013.html

I used to have 2 Macbooks, 17" and 15" Retina, when working at Avid, a nice piece of hardware for a portable solution. We have Windows based systems at my work (a TV Station) on HP Z800 with 24 cores and 32 GB RAM, both HDX and HDN.

I saw a monster hackintosh dual i7 processor with 64GB of RAM capable to run over 600 Native AAX on PT 10 in Brazil, and that was when I thought this is the way to go if you don't want to invest money on external chassis.
http://felipousismix.wix.com/felipousismix

Open Core Mac Pro OSX Ventura | ProTools HD 2023.x | Merging HAPI ADA8 | UAD Quad PCIe | Kali IN-8 | Presonus Temblor 10 | Softube, SSL, Universal Audio, Slate Digital, McDSP, Fabfilter, Plugin Alliance among other plugins
Old 12-16-2013, 07:10 AM

Feliponk- Thanks so much for the information. I am going to dig into this and check it all out.

I have been on an unsupported machine all along. One reason why these boards have been invaluable!
Old 12-16-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feliponk View Post
Hey Jauk: I'm the process of build the CustoMac Pro, take a look here http://www.tonymacx86.com/398-buildi...mber-2013.html

I saw a monster hackintosh dual i7 processor with 64GB of RAM capable to run over 600 Native AAX on PT 10 in Brazil, and that was when I thought this is the way to go if you don't want to invest money on external chassis.
600 dverbs?

I'm running a 3930k hack at 4.5, it will do over 900 in 11.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
600 dverbs?

I'm running a 3930k hack at 4.5, it will do over 900 in 11.
Nope, a lot of different plugins, and it was 10 at that time
http://felipousismix.wix.com/felipousismix

Open Core Mac Pro OSX Ventura | ProTools HD 2023.x | Merging HAPI ADA8 | UAD Quad PCIe | Kali IN-8 | Presonus Temblor 10 | Softube, SSL, Universal Audio, Slate Digital, McDSP, Fabfilter, Plugin Alliance among other plugins
Old 12-17-2013, 07:42 AM

RyanC- What are the details of your hack? Would you mind posting what you've put together? That would be great!

Kind regards-
Old 12-17-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feliponk View Post
Nope, a lot of different plugins, and it was 10 at that time
Ah Cool was it 1366 xeons? The 1366 xeons are still outperforming 2011's for hacks because you can't lock in a over clock/turbo. The SMBIOS that comes out for the nMP should fix that though.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jauk View Post
RyanC- What are the details of your hack? Would you mind posting what you've put together? That would be great!

Kind regards-
Using an Asus P9X79 (standard) with a 3930k 32GB of 2133 corsair ram. Totally vanilla OSX install, I don't bother with the built in sound and just use a class compliant usb for system sounds (Maudio Audiophile with SPDIF into my omni), so the only additional kext I need is Hnak's ethernet.

This system has been really stable for me. That said a buddy of mine bought the other one I had and has had some issues getting it to work right for him. 11 is still a little funky although getting better all the time (especially on mavericks).

There has really only been two times in my life that I felt the computer didn't need upgrading immanently. When I first bought my TDM system, and now with this one (I actually had the two because I was convinced native wasn't going to be enough without a VEP slave).

Once you know what kernel flags it needs to boot, I can install OSX on here from scratch in less than 30 minutes.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:16 AM

RyanC- Thanks much. I appreciate it! Never built a Hackintosh before. Need to get more familiar with it. Built PC's though.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:45 AM

Orders start today for the nMP. Whose in? :)

Specs: (cut/paste from web)
Apple offers the new Mac Pro in two basic configurations -- the entry-level $2,999 model and the more powerful $3,999 version -- with extensive build-to-order options for buyers who want to customize their system.

The $2,999 version of the Mac Pro is powered by a 3.7 GHz quad-core Intel Xeon E5 CPU with Turbo Boost speeds up to 3.9 GHz, dual AMD FirePro D300 GPUs with 2GB of VRAM each, 12GB of ECC DDR3 RAM, and 256GB of PCIe-based flash storage.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:17 AM

Messing around with configs-

Probably the best for audio is the start with the 4 core (unless anyone needs the better GPUs), there is no downgrade to the D300 gpu when you start with the 6 core.

So

12 core + 1TB flash + 32GB ram = 7,799. Not too bad for a top workstation machine, but anyone who suggested that apple would save money buying the 2697 v2 in bulk and pass that savings on to the consumer was clearly wrong. They are 2500 in stores and 3500 in the apple store to upgrade.

Anyway, who's going first?