Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-22-2012, 11:07 AM

Default Re: Pops and Clicks - Bad RAM???

Okay, so now I opened up the session that was having the problem. I went through and deleted all busses and routed all of my tracks out of 1-2 on my interface. I ran the session for close to an hour with not a single problem.

It has got to be something with a corrupt i/o. I have now imported busses back into the session and I am running the test again to see if it comes back.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 02-22-2012, 11:24 AM

Now with importing these busses back into the session, it started popping and clicking again within 20 minutes.

I will now go through and delete some of the busses and see if I can narrow it down further.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Old 02-22-2012, 11:49 PM

Okay. So now I am even more confused. After I deleted all my busses and recreated them and etc. I couldn't get the pops and glitches to happen.

So I plugged all of my gear back together how it normally was (or at least I think it was) and then opened up the session that had the pops and clicks. I decided to let it run again for another hour or so and see if the pops still came back. Now they are miraculously gone from that session. I let the session play for close to 4 hours and no pops or glitches.

So now I am going through and revisiting other problem sessions and trying to see if I can get it to happen on any sessions.

It could be good news that perhaps somehow something is fixed. Whether it is a clocking thing or a bus thing, I can't quite confirm since I currently can't get the problem to happen again right now. I'll report back after I do even more tests.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Old 08-17-2012, 10:34 PM

Did you ever confirm what the problem was? I have installed a new system and I'm going through pops and clicks. Not as bad as what you mention -- they are more random and they start right away (in other words, they don't build during the course of the session like yours did).

Trying to figure out what it might be. I've read through this whole thread (and several others) and still haven't landed on something that would be a likely cause other than the routing thing you mentioned -- I'll have to experiment.

If you folks have any additional suggestions, I'm all ears, thanks!

set up:
Dual Quad 2.8 ghz Harpertown MacPro
10 Gb ram
PT 8.1.1
Mac OS 10.6.8
Magma PE6R4 with 1 core and 5 accel cards
Apogee AD-16X interface.

Michael Lewis
Old 08-25-2012, 06:36 PM

I use Radar for converters and sometimes end up with what might be the same problem. My set up is a little unusual, so there are more variables.

I've found that going into the peripherals menu, disabling my Sync I/O waiting 10 seconds and then re-enabling it gets rid of the clicks.

Try this if you have a sync, or maybe just switch clock sources and then switch back to reset the drift.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:31 PM

I did confirm my problem here. It was indeed that I had old busses from session templates from probably 8 or so years back that were causing the problem. This was especially happening on my busses where I had Delay II plug-ins active. Basically, the way I fixed it is that I would delete all of my busses in PT that had Delay II on them and then recreate the busses all over again and the problem was permanently gone.

Seriously weird bug, but I don't struggle with this problem any more.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4