Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2009, 10:20 AM

Default Need help with an 888/24

Hi Digifolk,

I recently put an 888/24 into my config, and the analog inputs don't work. Before I ask if it can be serviced, I want to rule out user error.

I set the HW setup as 44.1, internal.

I create a session at 44.1 and plug a mic into a preamp and then into the 888 and get no signal. (the preamp is fine, I tried other signals as well)

I can monitor out of protools however (analog out 1-2 from PT 6.4)

I can also go AES/EBU out of my api AD2 converter into AES/EBU input on the 888, switch the setup to external clock, and the PT I/O (1-2) to AES/EBU and get signal (api > aes/ebu 888)

So it seems that for whatever reason my 888 analog inputs are not working.

When the api is not connected (and the setup is internal) the front panel on my 888 reads :

sync mode
internal

sample rate 44.1

1-2 format AES/EBU (this part seem weird, as I am not using the aes/ebu in this mode)

Hopefully it is something wrong I am doing on my end here.

Please help me digidesign!
Old 03-26-2009, 12:10 PM

Default Re: Need help with an 888/24

so in Hardware Setup you have the 888 set to Analog?

you do know the meters on the 888s are output only

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 03-26-2009, 01:29 PM

Thanks Craig,
Yes, I set the HW setup to analog, also in my PT I/O setup I have all the inputs set to analog. Is there something more to do? I do realize (as of last night) that the meters on the front panel are output only.

I am not seeing input at the meter of my PT session track (when using the analog input on the 888).

When I use the api converter/preamp as a master clock and run aes/ebu out of that unit into the 888, I get signal. (I switch the settings in my HW setup to external and the I/O setting to have channel 1-2 as aes/ebu when I do this)

Any thoughts? Is there something else that needs to be switched to use the analog inputs?
Old 03-26-2009, 05:30 PM

from the hardware setup page
can you switch the channels to Digital and back to analog
if not there is a communication error
also the 888 only displays output on the front panel meters
also if there is any digital signal input to the 888 at power up it with switch to DA mode only

disconnect any Digital connection prior to power up

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
http://www.studio-techservices.com

าำ
[email protected]m
Mitch Berger Tech Services

We service ALL Avid products no Problem
HD192, 192, Omni, Control Surface, Pre, XMON, 192HD AD & DA / Accel Cards, Everything

ALL NEW HD192 AD -DA modification. the difference is incredible... no need to ship the entire unit , fast turn around

inquiry using link above
Repairs of SSL-Neve- Consoles and Repair ALL Modern & Vintage Gear
Old 03-26-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dude View Post
from the hardware setup page
can you switch the channels to Digital and back to analog
Yes I can

Quote:
also the 888 only displays output on the front panel meters
I'm looking for input levels on the track meter on the PT session. I figured out that the levels on the 888 front are output. BTW, I am getting output from my PT files through outputs 1-2.

Quote:
also if there is any digital signal input to the 888 at power up it with switch to DA mode only

disconnect any Digital connection prior to power up
I tried disconnecting the api converter and then powering down. Then rebooted the computer, and switched the settings to analog. Still no level from any of the inputs on the 888.

Thanks for chiming in here. I appreciate it. I have projects on the go and I am anxious to get this solved.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:35 PM

I had some time this evening to noodle more with it. It was a good distraction from the editing I was doing: out of tune classical music.

Anyway, I fooled around with rebooting and opened an older session file and it worked. This leads me to believe it was the I/O setup I had going in my test file.

In my test file, I was originally running the api clock into the 888, but when I tried to plug into input 3 (1 and 2 were designated to AES/EBU) I got nothing. Thats when I decided to unplug the api clock (converter), switch back to internal/analog in the HW setup, analog in the I/O setup, and just see if the 888 inputs worked in analog mode. They didn't.

While I was in an older file (the classical stuff) I tried creating a track there and it worked. I got analog input signal.

So it works, I just have to figure out what the difference is between the test file and the older classical file. Shouldn't be a problem.

However, does this mean that when the api clock is running the 888 via aes/ebu, I can't use analog inputs 3 thru 8 on the 888? What about if I ran spdif out of the api clock/converter? The 888 manual says it automatically switches to digital when aes/ebu input recieves clock source. Is that it?

BTW, Thanks "the dude" for giving me some things to try.