Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2010, 03:42 PM

Default Re: Do I have a defective 11R unit?

Okay, I contacted DTS this morning, spoke with "Matt" - good guy to work with. We ran some tests and concluded that the problem is with the 11R hardware.

The 11R I have (for whatever reason) doesn't operate when switched to 44K sample rate. In working with Matt, I created a new session in PTLE8 and switched to 48K sample rate, low & behold, it worked - got sound & response to the tuner. However, when I later created another new session and set the sample rate to 44K, that's when the problem occured.

Every time I tried opening my prior sessions, they were all recorded in 44K sample rate. And with a faulty 11R hardware, that's why I couldn't get anything.

No biggie, we're all good now...I'm getting a replacement and will be shipping back the unit I have. I'm stoked and I learned a grip.

Hopefully my experience will be helpful to others who come across a problem like this.

Many thanks to DTS for walking me through this.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:04 PM

exactly the same problem I have and posted about elsewhere
Old 10-15-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurism View Post
exactly the same problem I have and posted about elsewhere
Ha! That's funny I just responded to your thread a minute ago!
Old 10-23-2010, 04:54 AM

I've returned my 11R to my dealer, because of same problems as described here in this thread.
Today my replaced 11R (new one) makes me go to something like f.... Avid. It's a damaged hardware too!
Old 10-24-2010, 02:38 PM

OK, now you scared me... I just bought my 11R 2 days ago, and it worked fines so far in Stand Alone... but when I tried today to plug it on my macbook, I just lost sound.

I had it working fine just once with the default template (in 48 kHz), but when I create my own (in 44 kHz), it just stopped to work.

I tried everything to plug, restart it, etc... nothing and I had to do a Reset Memory (unplugged from the Mac) to have it working in Stand Alone again.

I thought it was a problem of old firmware or PT version (I'm downloading the new and last versions right now).... but it sounds like a bad hardware, does it?

Should I contact my reseller?

Spid
Old 10-24-2010, 09:41 PM

Switching between 44 and 48 was not the problem with my old unit, it makes no sound on startup. Switching from internal clock to SPDIF (or AES/EBU) and back to internal resolves this one. In standalone mode I switch it off/on 2-3 times then it works.

My new unit do not work, whether in standalone nor with LE. With LE all level meters are active but just no sound from any output. The new one comes with 1.02 and before updating to 1.03, I've checked it with no success, also with 1.03

I've heard about some defective capacitors within a range of some units.

I've contacted my dealer again.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:38 AM

Moin, moin, fsb1!

You should definitely contact Avid Audio Technical Support. It looks like Thomann has received a whole batch of defective units. Your unit will have to be shipped to Ireland for a rework and extra testing to be done on the actual unit. That's the procedure they offer in Europe. The good thing is that it will save you from re-registering. All shipping costs will be covered by Avid. My unit has been away for 8 days; quite fast considering that it had to be shipped to Ireland and back ...

You might as well ask the guys at Thomann to do some test for functionality before sending you another replacement unit.

Greetings from Eimsbush.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:14 PM

argh

Now it makes sense... I bought mine from Thomann too, and can't make it work twice in the row.

As soon I plug it on my USB port, everything goes wild (pop and click in my headphone, even without being on OS X yet), no sound anymore, no meters in PT (sometimes PT even doesn't find it), and the list goes on...

The only solution I found so far: Quit everything properly. Reset Memory on the 11R, turn it off, plug it on the macbook, turn it on, and boot the mac. Choose one of the default template on the PT screen... Sometimes it could work, whatever if it's 48 kHz or 44.1 kHz... it's just random.

Then it will work fine until the next time I will need to use it...

Kind of frustrating,
Phil
Old 10-25-2010, 09:15 PM

Moin, moin Ralf,

Thomann is very user friendly, they offer me to get my money back. The 11R, if it's running, is well customized for my setup and Thomann will check a new unit deeply before deliver. However, I think it's better to get a repaired one from Avid.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:49 AM

I agree Thomann is really customer friendly.

They will change my 11R by a new one. I just hope they will check the new one and not trade my current defective unit by another defective unit

Let's find out in the next days...

Phil