Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 02-17-2002, 08:20 PM

Default Recording Drum Kits

I've seen loads of articles on the placement of mics to get a great sound out of a drum kit. All very well, but how do you get say 3 or more XLR mics into the digi box since there is only two XLR inputs? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
External mixer [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I hope not.

I'm new to recording live drums so I have no idea. Would you get some sort of connecter to merge mics together or what? All other general recording concepts I know but this one I just can't wrap my head around. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Cheers. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-17-2002, 09:10 PM

Default Re: Recording Drum Kits

As usual the answer involves more money! You would use an external mixer with mic pres and separate outs on each channel to feed inputs 3 through 8 on the digi001. There are also units such as the presonus digimax which give you a bank of mic pres to feed the digi.
Old 02-17-2002, 09:31 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by msunj:
As usual the answer involves more money! You would use an external mixer with mic pres and separate outs on each channel to feed inputs 3 through 8 on the digi001. There are also units such as the presonus digimax which give you a bank of mic pres to feed the digi.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, but I can't find any information about a product called DigiMax [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] ???

There's plently of equipment listed that is sort of like that but cost about $3000 up. That's like $10000 Australian Dollars [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img], way too much.

Old 02-17-2002, 10:15 PM

http://www.presonus.com is the site for the Digimax.

Focusrite has one coming out that seems similar, and may be a tad cheaper - but it won't be out until April or so. http://www.focusrite.com - you're looking for the "Octopre"

Hope this helps.

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 02-17-2002, 10:23 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe:
http://www.presonus.com is the site for the Digimax.

Focusrite has one coming out that seems similar, and may be a tad cheaper - but it won't be out until April or so. http://www.focusrite.com - you're looking for the "Octopre"

Hope this helps.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thankyou, quite costly [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I have an 8 channel PA at my disposal, would that do the trick [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Old 02-17-2002, 10:40 PM

You are going to need direct-outs on that mixer. Usualy they are located near the place you plug the mic in and usualy they are 1/4' jack. If you do not have direct-outs, you may try something with the main-channels, aux-channels (set to pre-fader), and subgroups.

Bastiaan
Old 02-17-2002, 10:59 PM

I have a Digi 001 and it's great for stereo recording. It sounds like you want to do more recording than the tool box allows you to. You can find some great deals on the buy and sell section here and pickup a Digi 001 for about 500 dollars. It has more ins and outs that would probably be better suited for you.
Old 02-18-2002, 05:06 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Bastiaan:
You are going to need direct-outs on that mixer. Usualy they are located near the place you plug the mic in and usualy they are 1/4' jack. If you do not have direct-outs, you may try something with the main-channels, aux-channels (set to pre-fader), and subgroups.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can also use channel inserts for feeding 001. If they´re two point inserts, use send jacks, if they´re one-point inserts, don´t insert the plug in all the way, only to until the first "click"...

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-18-2002, 06:51 AM

Check out mic preamps without the optical output option, and run them into the 3-8 inputs on the 001.
HHB Radius 10, 4 channel dual valve circiutry, under $700US.
check the auction sites like Sweetwater.com or Digibid.com for good deals on use dmic preamps.
Personally I didn't care for the sound of the Presonus digimax.
Hope this is helpful.
Old 02-18-2002, 03:46 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Kedron Porter:
I have a Digi 001 and it's great for stereo recording. It sounds like you want to do more recording than the tool box allows you to. You can find some great deals on the buy and sell section here and pickup a Digi 001 for about 500 dollars. It has more ins and outs that would probably be better suited for you.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe, everything else is fine in regards to recording other instruments. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

It's just that you need to use a lot of mics to mic a drum kit and there's just not enough inputs, unless I just use two mics and get it in stereo. Would that work? Would the quality be degraded since there's only two mics pointing at the kit instead of setting up mics on each drum??? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

If the quality is degraded alot then I'll have to get a mic preamp, else if the quality is not degraded or only slightly that it's hardly noticeable then I'll just use two mics. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Thanks for the replies. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]