Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2006, 06:53 AM

Default Security updates

New user here, just purchased my HD1 system and 192, for use on an early Dual 2.0 G5. Simple question--I know you're not supposed to update OS versions until Digi approves the update. But what about the mini-updates, called "security updates", that don't change the OS version? Are those safe to install or should you wait until Digi approves them, or do they only do that for formal OS version revisions?

Thanks.

Irwin
Old 04-01-2006, 08:36 AM

Default Re: Security updates

Quote:
New user here, just purchased my HD1 system and 192, for use on an early Dual 2.0 G5. Simple question--I know you're not supposed to update OS versions until Digi approves the update. But what about the mini-updates, called "security updates", that don't change the OS version? Are those safe to install or should you wait until Digi approves them, or do they only do that for formal OS version revisions?

Thanks.

Irwin
many of us have been bitten in the butt after doing this . . be careful

if it ain't broke don't fix it

at least on this kind of stuff

you'll read in here when others have done it. . .

Old 04-01-2006, 08:37 AM

I have yet to see Digidesign post on this forum that they test the security updates. Generally, it is a good idea to install them. After all, they are trying to keep your system secure. Having said that, there was one security update in the days of yore that killed the meters in certain WAVES plug-ins. That issue has since been fixed as far as I know.

The best thing to do is backup your Macintosh HD with Carbon Copy Cloner before applying an update. In the worst case, you can revert to the backup and only be down for a few hours.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:04 AM

Quote:

The best thing to do is backup your Macintosh HD with Carbon Copy Cloner before applying an update. In the worst case, you can revert to the backup and only be down for a few hours.
i agree.
this is too important to not have in effect.

perhaps i had a bad experience when i was trying new memory and dual processor upgrades and the update was just too much for all the new things i was trying.

sytem upgrades still make me shudder to initiate them
but
if your system is working rock solid...why mess with it?

Old 04-01-2006, 11:33 AM

Thanks, guys. I will leave well enough alone. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Irwin