Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2012, 05:02 PM

Default iMac Vs MBP?

I am on the verge of investing in an HD native/Omni setup, but am wondering what would be the best base to run it from, iMac or MBP, can anyone who has either setup list their personal pros and cons, and if anyone has used both, could they express their opinions?

Cheers
Old 11-16-2012, 08:20 PM

Default Re: iMac Vs MBP?

You will generally get more processing power for the money with the Imac. However, the Macbook Pros are quite powerful. The big question is if you need the portability.

Also, the Imacs will take more ram. This may be more important when Protools goes 64 bit and all that extra ram can be accessed.

The thing to keep in mind is that the new, just announced Imacs are not out yet, so no one's had the chance to compare the performance of them to the Macbook Pros. But generally speaking, they've been ahead of the laptops.

Whether you get a laptop or Imac, any of the Quad-cores will be plenty powerful for what you're trying to do.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:41 AM

Hello there,
I've been using a MBP Retina 2.6Ghz with 16Gb of RAM and recently added the HD native/OMNI bundle... It works quite nice I have to say, this laptop gets along everything REALLY fast and well, couldn't try an iMac, though my brother uses it without problems also, i think both are good options, but the MBP is way more expensive, so be sure you need the portability (i unfortunately need it... ), anyway, can't go wrong with both of them!!

p.s. imacs just got revamped........
Old 11-21-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
You will generally get more processing power for the money with the Imac. However, the Macbook Pros are quite powerful. The big question is if you need the portability.

Also, the Imacs will take more ram. This may be more important when Protools goes 64 bit and all that extra ram can be accessed.

The thing to keep in mind is that the new, just announced Imacs are not out yet, so no one's had the chance to compare the performance of them to the Macbook Pros. But generally speaking, they've been ahead of the laptops.

Whether you get a laptop or Imac, any of the Quad-cores will be plenty powerful for what you're trying to do.
As to the new iMacs something to watch out for is it looks like the 27" is the only model you can add your own ram. No firewire ports on the new iMacs and the USB ports are USB3 and there's been some problems with iLoks on USB3 ports.

It's funny - you can't even pre-order one of the new iMacs, at least from the online Apple store so you don't even get a look at what they're offering, especially in the way of options.

QAPLA!