Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2012, 08:00 AM

Default Issue Routing MIDI for Mutliple VIs

I'm not a noob, but even as I write this I feel the answer is right in front of me...lurking...

I have two instrument tracks. One running Reason, the other Superior Drummer.

I have a MIDI keyboard and also a YamahaDTX 12-pad drum pad all running into a MIDIsport 2x2. Yamaha is on bank 'A' while the keyboard is on bank 'B' of the Midisport.

I set the MIDI out on each of the instrument tracks to their corresponding plugins. I then assigned the MIDI input to the respective banks on the MIDIsport. Superior drummer gets the Yamaha on bank A and Reason bank B and the keyboard.

MY PROBLEM:

Both instruments play at the same time despite my assigning the inputs/outputs to what I thought was correct and individual.

If I mute one or the other I can record just fine. But I want Reason to playback NOT muted so I can lay drums against it. As of now, if it was unmuted I'd hear my drum pad triggering the drums AND whatever Reason is running.

HOW DO I ROUTE THIS CORRECTLY?

I assume I need to do some digging inside Superior Drummer and Reason MIDI settings, but despite my best efforts, I still had to mute to record.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:23 AM

Default Re: Issue Routing MIDI for Mutliple VIs

I was having the same issue with sessions with both Reasons and other virtual instruments on ProTools 10. I solved it by unchecking the "Use with Reason" box on my master keyboard in the Keyboard tab of Reason Preferences. I hope this will help !