Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 05-02-2007, 12:32 PM

Default Avantone MixCube Speaker

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MixCubes

I figured I'd contribue to the audio post community and say a few things about the speakers I use. I've found that clients and producers are increasingly using portable devices to QC mixes while on the go. IE, they'll carry their laptops, ipods, etc. to listen to the mixes which have crappy small speakers. I needed speakers that translated well what those people would hear: the hunt was on. So I went ahead and bought myself a pair of Avantone Cubes. I like to say to people about these speakers is that they're the "best crappiest speakers" I like to use. I've found that the Avantone's worked perfect for A/Bing mixes. They especially work good for figuring out how loud your dialogue should be relative to other elements in a tv show. So, in terms of volume, they work fantastic. They're terrible for finding clips, pops, low hums, etc. Workflow, I like to mix on the Cubes and then compare them against my Genelecs for reference while bouncing. So, overall, I'm pretty pleased with the purchase. Volume wise, if you get your mix to sound good on these speakers it's usually pretty close to where your volume should be. The exception to this is really bassy or poorly mixed music. For $200 bucks and an old amp it's a good deal.

Old 05-02-2007, 03:04 PM

Default Re: Avantone MixCube Speaker

I wonder if there are good crappy ACTIVE speakers with crappy amps in it as well? I think it's quite hard to find a crappy amp which fits this kind of monitors... And, oh! with balanced inputs...

I use JBL control 1 speakers with a Alesis amp as crappy monitoring next to the Dynaudio AIR's. I'm looking for a crappier system indeed...
Old 05-02-2007, 03:14 PM

an actual TV is ofetn the best way to go...

but...oddly enough, my expensive NEC HD Plasma has NO built-in speakers. my little Panasonic CRT does!

Radio Shack makes a crappy pair of powered speakers. do you have a Rat Shack equivalent in the nederlands?

i did look at the Avantones and considered them...they look like good Auratone replacements.

but i got the Pyramids instead -- on rhumpries rechumendation. i had an old Hafler amp lying about...so i used that. the Pyramids are like SONY 27" speakers in a pyramidal plastic housing.

for a TV show i just started mixing, the Exec. Prod. took my mix for 101 and played in EIGHTEEN different setups -- laptops, towers, TV, all-in ones, Entertainment Centers, his car... and couldn't get it to fall apart. translated perfectly. and the broadcast, surprisingly, was not mangled!
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 05-02-2007, 03:16 PM

I use an Auratone for the same purpose.

Anyone compared Auratone to Avantone? Comments, thoughts?

-jeremiah
Old 05-02-2007, 04:49 PM

We got the Avantones too and I love them. Ironically we've paired them up with high-powered excellent sounding amplification. They go loud and clean if you want, but I usually use them soft. I don't see the "benefit" in crappy amplification here - the crappy frequency response of the speakers is the winner here.

I do more music than post, but the same principles apply - it's much easier to set balances on these things because they don't forgive like expensive monitors do.

Also, I had considered my old JBL Control 1s as a reference but decided not to because they're too "good." Sure they lack bottom end, but they still can sparkle up the top. The Avantones show no sheen at all - they're just bland and middy - exactly what we need!
Old 05-02-2007, 11:42 PM

Quote:
I wonder if there are good crappy ACTIVE speakers with crappy amps in it as well?
How about Fostex 6301B? Or are they not crappy enough?
Old 05-02-2007, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I wonder if there are good crappy ACTIVE speakers with crappy amps in it as well?
Or some NS10´s ;-)

f.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:09 AM

Have the Avantones too and I love them. Best purchase for a long time.
Used to work with Auratones a lot a long time ago. The Avantones are very similar but a little "better".
There will be a self-powered version out some time in the near future.

/AH
Old 05-03-2007, 06:32 AM

Alesis/Logitech makes/made a great little 5.1 system that's active and I still use to check everything from Broadcast to DVD mixes on. Good representation of the "average" home system. Also has PLII to check decoding in a "consumer" environment.

Howard Sonnenburg
Atomic Audio
Ottawa, ON
Canada
Old 05-04-2007, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Quote:
wrong crappy ;-)

too much false bass

matthias