Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2010, 09:18 PM

Default Mbox 2 Mini Not Recognized by OSX

Everything was running fine on my old Mac Pro. Now, I've installed Pro Tools LE 8.0 on my new 12-core Mac Pro (with the Mbox 2 Mini disconnected, as instructed), restarted, and when I connect my Mbox the USB light does not light up. I tried starting Pro Tools anyway and it does not recognize the hardware as being connected. The "Digidesign Mbox 2" and "Digidesign Mbox 2Pro" preference panes are installed (although I'm wondering if it used to be the "Digidesign Mbox 2 Mini" pane on my last computer), but to no avail, the USB light remains off.

Now I have Windows 7 installed (via bootcamp) on this same machine, and that installed Pro Tools LE 8.0 without a hitch, and recognized my Mbox with no problems, so I know that the issue is not with my cable or Mbox itself, it is purely with OSX 10.6.4 on the 12-core Mac Pro.

If anyone has any insight as to what is wrong or how I can remedy this it would be much appreciated. While I could work in Windows, I prefer the OSX version (not to mention the drives I work off of are Mac formatted).

Thanks in advance to any and all help!
Old 11-12-2010, 12:07 AM

Default Re: Mbox 2 Mini Not Recognized by OSX

I have exactly the same problem. I bought a new 15" macbook pro i5 processor and neither my mbox mini nor my mbox2pro are recognized on my new mac with PT9. Neither light up or are recognized yet work fine on my old macbook w/PT8.03. I have tried downloading all new available avid drivers and have updated all my firmware, etc on my new macbook yet nothing works. Can someone help us out with this?
Old 11-12-2010, 10:31 AM
Avid

Have you tried trashing preferences or testing with the unit connected to a different USB port yet?

If not, please start there, as well as going over the other suggestions and troubleshooting from the General Troubleshooting thread.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:29 PM

I have used the troubleshooting utility to trash all preferences and databases, removed all other USB and firewire devices, and tried on all USB ports (which all function properly with other devices), yet the Mbox 2 Mini still is not recognized by my system (no USB light, and Pro Tools won't start up saying it can't find the hardware).

I read through the General Troubleshooting thread, but could not find much relevant information besides checking compatibility, which I believe my computer is. I'm running OS 10.6.4, which is supported, as well as enough RAM, etc. The only thing I could imagine wouldn't be compatible is my processors (could not find any information regarding that). Even if that's the case, I don't see how that would affect the Mbox.

Any thoughts?

UPDATE: I just installed Pro Tools LE 8.0.4 (updated from 8.0), and it seems to have not made any difference regarding my problem. Still no Mbox recognition.

Last edited by JNorris; 11-14-2010 at 06:41 PM. Reason: New Information
Old 11-15-2010, 05:22 AM

I've Got the exact same issue.........just bought a new MacPro two days ago and had to go back to my pc to finish a project..Can anybody help us out please!
Old 11-15-2010, 01:52 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNorris View Post
I have used the troubleshooting utility to trash all preferences and databases, removed all other USB and firewire devices, and tried on all USB ports (which all function properly with other devices), yet the Mbox 2 Mini still is not recognized by my system (no USB light, and Pro Tools won't start up saying it can't find the hardware).

I read through the General Troubleshooting thread, but could not find much relevant information besides checking compatibility, which I believe my computer is. I'm running OS 10.6.4, which is supported, as well as enough RAM, etc. The only thing I could imagine wouldn't be compatible is my processors (could not find any information regarding that). Even if that's the case, I don't see how that would affect the Mbox.

Any thoughts?

UPDATE: I just installed Pro Tools LE 8.0.4 (updated from 8.0), and it seems to have not made any difference regarding my problem. Still no Mbox recognition.
I think you should try a clean uninstall and reinstall. Run the uninstaller from the 'Pro Tools Utilities' folder inside your Pro Tools folder, choosing the 'clean' option, then restart and reinstall up to 8.0.4 before trying to launch Pro Tools.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:53 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by adu808 View Post
I've Got the exact same issue.........just bought a new MacPro two days ago and had to go back to my pc to finish a project..Can anybody help us out please!
We're going to need more info - computer model, OS version, Pro Tools version, etc.

The Help Us Help You thread has all the details of what we need to know...
Old 11-16-2010, 06:14 PM

I did the clean uninstall, followed by reinstalling LE 8.0, then the update to 8.0.4. When I started Pro Tools and it asked for my hardware to be plugged in I did, and still no USB light or recognition from the program. I tried every port on my computer with all USB devices (aside from my mouse) unplugged, and none worked. So, reinstalling has not solved the problem.

I haven't posted my machine's info yet, although I assume you've been looking at the info in my user profile to determine it, but here it is anyway:

Mac Pro 5,1 (Mid 2010 12-Core)
Two 2.66GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon “Westmere” Processors
6GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM
OSX 10.6.4 (with Bootcamp Windows 7)
Pro Tools LE 8.0.4 (Mbox 2 Mini)

I hope that helps, and thanks again for the continued assistance.

Last edited by JNorris; 11-16-2010 at 08:32 PM. Reason: New Information
Old 11-16-2010, 10:48 PM

PROBLEM SOLVED:

Today Avid Media Composer (v5.0.3) stopped working, so I uninstalled it, upgraded my OS from 10.6.4 to 10.6.5, then reinstalled the newest version (v5.0.3.6). Avid works now, but somewhere in the middle of this entire process the USB light on my Mbox turned on (not sure exactly when, I noticed it when I rebooted after installing the new Avid).

So, apparently something in Avid was messing with my computer's ability to talk to the Mbox, but that has now been solved (at least for the time being). It still might be worthwhile for the techs to investigate what could be the source of the issue, but my particular case has solved itself.

Thanks for all the help thus far, and good luck to anyone whose problems haven't been solved.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:31 PM

Same problem here both in 10.6.4 on a Macbook Pro and on a iMac w 01.6.5. MBox 2 Mini stops lighting up. Tried EVERY usb port and various cables but ALWAYS gets recognized on my G5 Powermac with 10.4.!!!!!

Methinks Avid must issue some new driver for these older MBox units.