Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-22-2008, 12:49 AM

Default Pt Expert Level Cert

I was thinking about taking classes for the PT Expert Level. Can any of you who have done this chime in on whether you thought it was worth the time and money?

I was a little disappointed in the 100 and 200 level classes as I felt they lacked substance and real world application. I have been told the next level is extremely in depth...
Old 10-22-2008, 06:34 AM

Default Re: Pt Expert Level Cert

Scott,

You should get much more information in the expert class. It's hard to tell where you are at with the application but I know a friend who is an expert and he knows A LOT! He's also going to weekly user group meetings as well though.-Scott
Old 10-22-2008, 07:40 AM

Cool Re: Pt Expert Level Cert

It's a shame you didn't feel you didn't get a lot from the 110/201/210 it really depends on the tutor the good ones embelish and add their personal experience to the book that makes the course so much more. If they just read from the book.......it isn't so good but that's true of all education I feel. In a similar way the Apple courses can be great or not depending on the teacher.

The 310m is very technical it focuses a lot on the, specifying, installation, 48 bit mixer, synchronisation (not useful to all people) and more Icon than the other classes. (but you really need 300 Icon to get into that properly) If fixed v's floating and installing rigs floats your boat then go for it, if it doesn't avoid.

As a techie person I personally enjoyed it but it isn't for everyone and the exam is virtually impossible to pass unless you have access and can use an Icon system. The lecturer must really prepare you as well and there is good documentation about the exam in the newer 310m books, which helps. It is half a day and it is intense and practical. I feel even the best engineer could not pass this exam if they were having a bad day. If that certificate interests you ask your proposed Pro School to talk you through an outline of what would be expected of you.

It could be really useful for someone wanting to work or get money for specing and installing systems or for someone who is paying someone else a lot to do this for them (say doing their update to tiger plugins etc ) and now wants to take that system maintenence into their own hands.

There is some useful elastic audio in there and collection mode in Beat Detective as well as all the editing short cuts.

I think it's a good course if you are looking for that info and provided the lecturer is willing to explore beyond the book.

If that stuff doesn't interest you them the 210m is pretty fully detailed really especially the later version.

I hope that helps you make an informed choice, no course makes you a great engineer, they just help you develop the skills and talent you have quicker and you can pick up things/tips from experienced engineers teaching them which is worth something beyond the books. Even good engineers sometimes plug gaps in their Tools knowledge in a none pressured none deadline enviroment on these courses.

Get info from your Pro School or even talk to the lecturers and different schools and find the man/woman for you.

I hope this helps

Cheers
Old 10-22-2008, 08:43 AM

Scott

My humble opinion, if you are going to take the class, do it with Robert Campbell, from San Francisco

No other person in America has the amount of knowledge and dedicaton this gentleman has

I took the icon class with him, and although I didnt pass the exam (mainly cause I am a dumbass), but, when i sitted in front of my Icon it was like if somebody had injected me with knowledge

The 310 class, which I also took, it was really useful for me , based on the fact that my instructor was excellent, but, its not just the class, you need constant practice

Hope that helps
Old 10-22-2008, 08:53 AM

Cool Re: Pt Expert Level Cert

I agree Rob is excellent and in fact I believe wrote the icon course if your in The States he's excellent.

I also agree you have got to be using the equipment on a day to day basis to consolidate your knowledge like I said no Icon no chance of passing.

One point worth making is that it's not just about passing the exam, most of the pro's who do the course don't need any piece of paper from Digi or anyone for that matter, to help them get a job, they're doing it to keep up to speed on the software they're using in a none pressured enviroment (you can't refer to the manual when a clients breathing down your neck to check out a new feature, it just doesn't look good ! )

So that's worth baring in mind.

Cheers

Last edited by sirpucho; 10-22-2008 at 08:59 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 10-22-2008, 02:30 PM

Is there a way to take the PT Certification classes on-line?? Or is this Classroom participation only?

I have both D-Command and D-Control consoles as well as the original Procontrol so I'd be able to keep up with the all the Advance Classes.

I'd like to be able to get PT CERT but my recording schedules (at least for through 2009) do not allow me to leave my post for any length of time. I just need to be able to study the material and take the test on my schedule but only a timely basis.

thanks,
Old 10-22-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherman View Post
Is there a way to take the PT Certification classes on-line?? Or is this Classroom participation only?

I have both D-Command and D-Control consoles as well as the original Procontrol so I'd be able to keep up with the all the Advance Classes.

I'd like to be able to get PT CERT but my recording schedules (at least for through 2009) do not allow me to leave my post for any length of time. I just need to be able to study the material and take the test on my schedule but only a timely basis.

thanks,
Check the menus and you will find an on line teaching course. I'm not sure where it is but Support and Downloads would be my guess.

Sorry I can't answer the other questions for you.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:24 AM

Thanks for the info.
I guess I will clarify. In the the 100-210m classes, I felt while I did learn alot, there was a lot of marketing going on from Digi... Even the fact that test questions were based on knowledge of optional plug in add ons... (Like "How Many Modules Does Hybrid Have?")
I do have a Masters in Education and I have offered to review the curriculum with digi to create a more detailed overview of the classes as well as a Rubric for assessing the information and test that show knowledge not just memorization....

However, Thanks for the tips on Rob, I will look him up.. In the end, I just want the knowledge and experience!